First time builder

Looks good Scott. Did the axle come with rotors, calipers, etc?
Yes, I should have all the parts now. The kit makes it pretty easy to line everything up, but what's the best way to get my pinion angle right. Do I need to mock everything up with the weight on it or is there a better way?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
If you were happy with the pinion angle on your stock axle, level the spring pads and measure the angle on the stock axle and duplicate on the 8.8.

I think artec assumes you will have adjustable control arms. Their picture also makes it look like they have put a decent amount of pinion angle into the system. Adjustable arms is gonna be the only way to make the angle specific to your jeep and ride height.

The wording in the link for the kit refers back to "factory link, sway bar and shock locations" so it's probably gonna have a similar angle as your original axle(adjustable upper control arms would allow you to set the correct angle). Also, read the reviews, it looks like you may want to rotate the shock mounts a little to keep the shock tubes from hitting the axle tube at full droop.

Yes Larry I do have a SYE and cv driveshaft. Ad I do have adjustable upper and lower control arms. Artec suggested the angle should be between 12 and 17 degrees. My old axle was at about 12 degrees. I was going to put it at 15 and let the adjustable control arms dial it in from there. But I think I will wait to weld the shock mounts on last because they were hitting the spring pads before.

Ford makes an additive that you can add to any gear oil.
do you have to have the additive for it to work? i assumed most gear oils already have the additive. The gear oil i put in mine said good for limited slip, locked and open diffs, but if you have to have the additive maybe thats why my limited slip doesnt pull for ****.

If you have an 8.8 with the positraction unit (clutches inside the carrier) then you are supposed to run the friction additive that Motorcraft sells at the Dealerships. Its a little bottle that doesn't cost but a few dollars. I'm thinking the oil is 90W but there should be a tag that was on the diff cover that will tell you. If your 8.8 didn't have two tags, one on the left side of the cover and one on the right side then it's not a posi. It will just be a regular differential fluid, nothing special.

The reason for two tags is one tells you the ratio and the other tells you to run the specific weight oil and the additive.

If you have an 8.8 with the positraction unit (clutches inside the carrier) then you are supposed to run the friction additive that Motorcraft sells at the Dealerships. Its a little bottle that doesn't cost but a few dollars. I'm thinking the oil is 90W but there should be a tag that was on the diff cover that will tell you. If your 8.8 didn't have two tags, one on the left side of the cover and one on the right side then it's not a posi. It will just be a regular differential fluid, nothing special.

The reason for two tags is one tells you the ratio and the other tells you to run the specific weight oil and the additive.
Well I know mine is a limited slip, but I think I may try and add the additive to see if it will help it. Hopefully I didn't hurt it without the additive I'd like for it to work a little better