M416 Trailer Build

it should, shanes was close, and I tweaked the angle a bit and my tent is lighter. Its pretty tough to close right now, so I'm hoping the tent helps that.

Mine still has a spot during the lift that it needs a pretty hefty push with the 190lbs tent on it....and when it drops, it comes down fairly hard given it has the supports. I think I am going to move to a little longer and little stronger lift support in the future to see if that helps any...His should be fine given the 40lbs weight loss it has over my tent.

I don't think so...i am happy with the set up as is. If you want them, I have is readily available...the other two have fallen victim to my garage. I will find them this weekend when I clean it out....

Ok, So I'm having an issue with the lid...

after putting on the lift struts it seems that they are strong enough to actually bend the tub top rail in at the hinges about 1/8" and its makeing my latches not light up exactly. I'm trying to think of a good way to beef up the top rail whether it be angle braces in the corners or what... here is a picture of basically whats happening. The rectangles in the top view are the hinges and the circles on the left side of the front view are the hinges as well. The red shift of the top rail in the top view is exaggerated it only moves about 1/8".

Any ideas?

Attachments

How's the suspension on your trailer? Stock leaves still? I've seen where a lot of people run a trailing arm type suspension with airbags, any thoughts on running something like that? Seems it would do wonders as opposed to the old leaves, maybe throw a swaybar on for reassurance if it sways to much

How's the suspension on your trailer? Stock leaves still? I've seen where a lot of people run a trailing arm type suspension with airbags, any thoughts on running something like that? Seems it would do wonders as opposed to the old leaves, maybe throw a swaybar on for reassurance if it sways to much
I have thought about it, but they really did their homework on the leaf springs of this thing. With the shocks on it I have bombed down gravel roads and over washboards and it doesnt bounce or hop. if I ever get a pile of money I might think about it, but I would have to do airbags instead of coils because a stock tj coil would be to soft but I would need something really short. The leaves serve my purpose very nicely plus they are easily servicable.

How would a M101A3 work for this same type of thing? I remember seeing the old trailer you had built on FB and thought it was awesome. Why did you sell that one and go this route?

the jeep tub trailer we built was as heavy if not heavier than this m416 and it had half as much space.

the m101s are VERY heavy and would be heavier empty than mine is fully loaded with tent and gear.

the jeep tub trailer we built was as heavy if not heavier than this m416 and it had half as much space.

the m101s are VERY heavy and would be heavier empty than mine is fully loaded with tent and gear.
OK, I still really like the way the jeep tub looked.

I found a m101 for $50 that's why I was asking

now I have a problem... How to fit bikes and the tent on the trailer at the same time....

I know I could do the hitch rack on the back, but the bikes stick out both sides of the trailer...

and if I do a rack over the Tent you cant open the tent or trailer with the bikes loaded...

2011080921.jpg

I need some good ideas...

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
How about taking some v channel and mounting it left to right on the tongue (kind of like the roof racks you see, but sideways). Then make a support bar that sticks up with a clamp on the end to grab the bike frame. Loosen the handlebars on the bikes to turn them sideways while carrying and you should get two on there. The only question is if it messes with your turning radius and/or the bikes may hit the back of the jeep when coming out of a deep dip. And also you most likely won't be able to get in the back of the jeep while loaded.

How about taking some v channel and mounting it left to right on the tongue (kind of like the roof racks you see, but sideways). Then make a support bar that sticks up with a clamp on the end to grab the bike frame. Loosen the handlebars on the bikes to turn them sideways while carrying and you should get two on there. The only question is if it messes with your turning radius and/or the bikes may hit the back of the jeep when coming out of a deep dip. And also you most likely won't be able to get in the back of the jeep while loaded.
thats the basic concept I have though about using, but I cant use it on the tounge. There is very little room back there because the toungue is so short. I may do that on the back, but whatever method i do needs to be able to hold 2-3 bikes.