M416 Trailer Build

16 gauge steel weighs 2.5 lb /ft^2 so the total lid would be 60 lbs in skin alone

12 gauge aluminum is what I used on the other lid and it weighs 1.14 lb/ft^2 so the lid skin would weigh 27.5 lbs
Are those weights backwards? Have you thought about using even thinner steel? The skin shouldn't be holding any real weight and would just need to be thick enough to not dent too easily.

nope, those weights and thicknesses are accurate, thats how much heavier the steel is than the aluminum.

With the steel up there I'll be able to stack/strap anything to the lid when the RTT is not on there and not worry about it. Knowing what I know now I may have gotten 20 gauge steel, but I was worried about how hard it would be to work with.

actually just calculated the weight of my old lid and the new one with the steel top and they are within 3 lbs of each other.

the old lid came in at 100.6 and the new one with steel top will be 103.4.

Brooks...you sure you want the struts there and not on the opening side? There is a company making lids like ours and they ate putting struts opposite where you gave yours....

I am sure Martyn from AT would be able to provide some interesting detail as to why they mount them there but, I suspect the primary reason is to save cargo space inside. I would agree that if you live in the dry desert southwest that probably works well but, here in the south the humidity and rain would play hell on the struts. Now as to why they mount the trailer portion on the opening side, I have no clue. That would be a good one to ask Martyn about.

Brooks, do you have any more info pics on the propane tank mount? I was thinking about coping it. My mule needs some upgrades!

I plan to put it on the outside to save storage room inside. I have seen plenty of struts survive the elements fine. And I actually shot a few emails to Martyn and he basically told me its a lot of trial and error that gave them that location with the struts located opposite the hinge.

In this months issue of 4wd toyota owners magazine they are starting a build up of a m100. What are the differences in a m100 and m416? Seems that the m100 has what looks like a full floater type axle in it.

The US M100? That is a huge *** trailer....1/2 ton I believe.

The M416 is a a 1/4 ton, so there are lots of differences. If it is the Canadian M101, then they are identical other than the CN version has square tubing around the top of the tub vs the rolled steel edge on the M416. There are some other minor differences such as the handles on the 4 corners for float tests and I believe the Pintle is a bit different as well. Overall, they are interchangeable though.

Last edited:
From pictures, and what i can remember of seeing one in person, they look pretty much identical, except for a few small things. Rounded fenders, the axle are just to name a few.