Joined the RedTJ club... Kinda

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
When I bought this jeep, I had to put a highlift on the doors to get them off. I sanded and cleaned the pins and bushings up as best as possible way back then, but needed to replace them. When I changed from full doors back to half, I realized the liner of one was still on the half door from the last time I swapped them. So, I ordered a delrin set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07813YKVY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

The Kentrol kit comes with a tool. The top on both sides came right out. The bottom passenger side took a little driving, but the bottom driver side twisted the hinge before the bushing moved. I had to take the hinge off and drill out the bushing. Then I took an old brass bore brush in the drill and cleaned it up.

20200411_144854.jpg

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Since we're not driving anywhere, I decided to get some maintenance out of the way. I don't mess with auto transmissions so I took Burgundy's yukon yesterday, and the jeep today, to get trans fluid and filter changes.

I wonder if they hot lap every vehicle? :unsure:
Screenshot_20200429-125900_Automile.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I did the first oil change on the 5.3, had 916 miles.

When I did the oil pan skid mount the first time I used a couple self tapping bolts, but they didn't hold tight. I replaced those with riv nuts and remounted all the skids.

Unrelated to today's work, but this is why I hesitate to let anyone else work on stuff. Trans pan drain plug:
20200510_141500.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Did you determine those pan bolts are a known issue?
I briefly searched for a replacement plug and saw several threads about the plug being stuck and not being able to get them out. Its possible they tried, couldn't get it out, and then just dropped the pan as if it didn't have a plug.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Started the day by cutting a hole in my hood.
20200725_133736.jpg 20200725_140850.jpg
Then moved on to 5 tire rotation, brake check, adjusting parking brake shoes, and replacing a front ujoint thats been chirping since the 2018 Poker Run (maybe 2017?)

Wasn't expecting to find the powerstop pads gone...
20200725_215438.jpg

I weighed my options and just ordered another set of the same pads for $40. They work fine, but sure didn't last.

And here's how it sits tonight.
20200725_224724.jpg

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The last two days of working on this thing have not gone well. Sunday I worked on swapping u joints. I feel like I always say this, but I've never fought so hard with them before. I ended up having to cut the crosses and then push caps out. I broke 1 and bent 1 full circle c clips, which of course are not available at the local hardware store. 30MM from McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/3485), so i had to wait until today to get back on that project.

Reassembly today did not go well. On the driver's side, which is the one that was chirping and very hard to get apart, I couldn't get the ujoint to fit in the ears of the stub. Looked at it closer and grabbed the other for comparison:

20200728_190711.jpg
20200728_190750.jpg
Well, moving on the the other side. Got 3 of the 4 caps easily and the fourth cap cracked.
20200728_204922.jpg

Finally got that side back together and reassembling with new black magic brakes. I never use a torque wrench on the caliper bolts, but I did this time and it never got tight. Never a good day when the helicoils come out, but at least I had 1 8mmx1.25 coil from who knows what.

20200728_223412.jpg

So in the morning I get to try to track down a new 4340 stub shaft.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I hate it when nothing goes right, at least you found the full circle clips, I put in my last ujoint with the standard clips... :eek:
If you get the ujoints from ECGS, you can check a box to add a set of clips for $2. McMaster-Carr was $7.49 I think for a pack of 10 but cost $16 with shipping.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I got the rear back together tonight, but my stub hasn't shown up yet so can't finish front.

This is less than 10k miles old pads vs. new same brand.
20200731_204636.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Got the jeep all back together tonight. I thought I was going to have a @Twilliamson issue with my diff cover plug. The plug is a 9/16 hex but its directly behind my tie rod. I made a "custom tool" a while back, and I wrung off the bolt instead of the plug turning. I upgraded to a grade 8 custom tool and it came out.

20200803_222227.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've always been skeptical of the Black Magic Brake hype, but now I'm a believer. This thing could not lock a front tire up on dirt previously and on the second bed in loop it will lock on pavement.