Grand Dads Cj5

Picked up a York compressor and the bracket from an 81 Grand Wagoneer Limited. They drove it up there and sold it to the junk yard. Everything worked to, crazy. I'm hoping the radio is the same size as mine so I can keep it oldish.

Been driving it the past few days. The ride didn't really change to much, maybe a little softer if anything cause I guess with the added lift I get just a touch of body roll in the turns. Since my 84 mini truck is manual steering also and this has been manual steering i forgot how nice power steering was. But I feel I traded one kinda scary ride for another. Highway speeds and then getting on the brakes pretty good for red lights is some kinda sketchy. Caught me off guard the first time and all but changed lanes because of having the power steering and over correcting to easily. (DISCLAIMER) Im running over anything that runs out in the road, animal, human, Tyrone, this thing is one quick jerk from being in a ditch on its lid.

#liftedCJ5 mine actually wasn't so bad. The lift springs were kinda stuff and I think that helped. Put you a sway bar on the front of that bad boy. Bet it will be worth it

yea, a sway bar (have one in the shop with brackets) and maybe a track bar on the front and it won't dart around like that. That or a shackle flip on the front, but that is to much work.

Finally getting things settled down since moving into the new house and having baby. Since the weather forcast is rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, did I say rain? I figured I'd get to work on the jeep. I ordered some Alloy USA 1.25 wheel spacers. Since putting the bigger tires on and having narrow track axles the tires were getting into the fenders at full lock. The spacers give it the just right amount of stance.

I'm getting motivated to get it finished. The Rubicon has been a dream as long as I remember. I just order another Charles Wells guide book. If you ever think you will go out these books are a must. Full of details and milepost points of interest. Yosemite is on the bucket list so if I'm getting that close to the Con I have to do it.

1DD56A79-F4EE-41B2-A077-94425BE0B9E8.jpg

I'm getting motivated to get it finished. The Rubicon has been a dream as long as I remember. I just order another Charles Wells guide book. If you ever think you will go out these books are a must. Full of details and milepost points of interest. Yosemite is on the bucket list so if I'm getting that close to the Con I have to do it.

1DD56A79-F4EE-41B2-A077-94425BE0B9E8.jpg
Awesome, I have been reading some reports online. Looks like I need to pic up some books

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is a few pics from the book of a part of the rubicon. Lat/long, contact phone number for trail conditions. Plus I like the pics with rigs in them so you can kinda judge how bad it really is because they will rate easy trails difficult.

Got some more done today. Months ago I picked up a windshield frame gasket from Joe at Clemson 4wd when I was getting my 8274 worked on. Ive dreaded doing this because this gasket has leaked for god knows how long and the amount of rust I expected was more than true. Good thing is they make replacements for it and other than the windshield frame there is not a hint of rust. So I opted to just put the gasket in and put it back together for now. Its ok for now and being I need a few more parts to get me on the trail I opted to run it for now. I have some before and aft pics to post up.

Picked up this Scout D300 this morning. Just need to get to Augusta and get the bull gear now. From what I've read this Texas pattern 300 was only used in 1980 Scout alone. Even though Amc had went to the round pattern 300 International didn't want to redo their tooling at the time to the round pattern. I maybe completely wrong but it's on web so it's true to me.

Just have to figure this twin stick stuff out. 2wd rear low would be nice.

Finally ordered the rest of the parts I needed to swap the 300 and the new clutch in. For the money this twin stick would be hard to make yourself and be as nice. Getting ever closer to getting this thing on some dirt.

Ive been holding off on doing anything to the jeep for sometime in hopes of coming across some rather hard to find parts. Scout axles or the rare t-18 that was only offered in a Cj5 with the 6.32 first gear. I have given up on Scout axles, every set I find they either don't want to sell them or think stock axles are worth what a set of nice built ones cost. I remember when they where a dime a dozen during the pre-internet days. I found the T-18 today, he removed it to put a 3 speed in to get rid of the granny low. Why I have no idea since the final drive ratio is the same. He is even letting me get the factory rear driveshaft which is 4"shorter.