Daily Driver car ideas

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Couple hundred miles now with no light... wierd.

On to gripe #4. The tach reads up to 8k and doesn't have a red line indicated. Rev limiter is 6k (found it Tuesday night, feels like you hit a wall when it hits). Don't tempt me with 8k and only give me 6! :).

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Charles can get you a little more than that. Even closer to 8k if you go ahead and do a CAM and valve springs.
Yeah, I'll leave it at 6 as long as it has afm hardware. It just surprised me when I hit it. I was passing a truck on a two lane and had it in manual shift mode... I had seen something about limiter at 6,400-6,600 but turns out that's for a gxp.

My last car was limited to 8,200...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Please do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Before I decided just to go with the 1.6 I was researching K20 or Ecotec 2.0. Problem is you need the trans from an S2000 or Solstic/Sky. The engines were pretty easy to find from the FWD versions but not RWD.

Also looked into Ford 2.3 turbo, because I know where one has been sitting for years, but I have no regrets about doing the 1.6. Much easier, cheap, and a huge improvement over stock.

I think the 1.6 was a good choice. To me superchargers and turbos suck for wheeling. Run hotter, and don't make a power gain until later in the power band than we need. They are cool as **** and sound awesome spooling up though.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
They are cool as **** and sound awesome spooling up though.
Isn't that the most important part? ;).

I think the supercharged Ecotec ('06-'08 Cobalt SS) Would make a great lightweight buggy engine. They have tons of low end torque and can make big power with minimal mods.

I wasn't sure at first if you meant k20 or f20c bc I've heard you say wanting an s2000 powered rig.

I think all those sound badass. Tim diekmenn from liquid iron had a turbo 2.3 In a jeep he called blackhawk I believe for awhile and seemed to do well.

I've read a lot about the ecotec stuff in my web wheeling and It seems there is a good bit of headache with it if you try and piece it together instead of buying a harness and adapter stuff. Yager on pirate is putting one in a TJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
You're right, k20 is the si/rsx engine, f20 is s2000. Those plans were all Before Child when I had free time and disposable income...

I don't see any point in any of that in a jeep. For a light (2,000-3,000 lb) rig it'd be awesome but for a Jeep why go through all the hassle when you could do a v8 for less...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
So update... no engine codes since I put the original sensor back in and changed the oil and filter. My Speedhut oil pressure gauge came in yesterday so I'll mount that as soon as I get a chance for reassurance.

But... trans is acting up. It started flare shifting when warm. I had the fluid and filter changed and now it hard downshifts when cold but works perfectly when warm... guess I'm going to have to break down and take it to the dealer for diagnosis.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
G8 Saga Part 2 - Transmission:

The car was flare shifting when hot since I got it but I ignored it until the oil pressure issue was resolved. I didn't know the condition or level of the trans fluid (no dipstick) so I took it to a local shop for fluid and filter change. I picked it up Friday after work and it felt great. Drove it a little over the weekend and to work on Monday and all was good. Leaving work Monday it flared badly on every up shift and hard downshifts like it was in manual mode until it warmed up. When warm it was perfect. I went back and had the shop pull codes. There were 4 all relating to pressure switches. They said they would do some research and get back to me. Checked a couple days later and still nothing, so I took it to the dealer. Dealer replaced the TEHCM. They called and said it was ready, had been driven twice and was all good. I paid, backed out of the parking spot, put in drive and nothing. Then, loud clunk and the display lit up with a red x and said contact dealer. Pulled back into parking spot, took keys back in and left. They called me the next day saying the Mode Switch failed, which is also internal, but I didn't pay for additional labor just the $40 part...

Picked it up the next day (trans was warm) and it was fine. Next morning it was doing exactly the same thing as when I originally took it to the dealer.

I called back and they said to drive it a few days and see if it learns and gets better. I had a lot going on and didn't have time to drop it back off, so I drove it. Around the fifth day, it got better, only doing the funny shifting for the first couple stop and goes instead of for several miles. Around the tenth day it seems to have fixed itself...

I still need to run it by and make sure there are no codes in it now, but it's working great.

The thing that really sucks about all this is that it's now under a 12,000 mile warranty on the trans work, so I can't install the CAI that I already have or tune it without voiding the warranty. I guess that gives me time to collect headers, high flow cats, and cat-back before it gets tuned :). If funds allow...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Charles said if you do a street tune and later decide to dyno tune you get credit towards the dyno. So the plan would be intake and exhaust then tune. Down the road if/when I do AFM hardware delete, I'd dyno it.

Afm would be the first thing I would do. Delete that before the car develops oil consumption issues. By then it is too late. Afm delete won't effect warranty either.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Being towed back to Herndon Monday. Appears the Mode Switch failed again...

It had been fine for several weeks. Yesterday it did all of the wierd shifting stuff leaving work. This morning Burgundy took it up town and it did the red X and contact dealer message.

I checked it out when she got home and got codes P0700 and P1825. I started it once, called the dealer and said we'd bring it in. Packed up Nora and got in and no start. Took me a while but I realized it didn't know what gear it was in so neutral safety switch wouldn't let it. It started in neutral, but had no reverse and was stuck in 3rd when in drive.

I tried to load it on Dad's trailer but it's too low so tow company is picking it up.

Last edited: