Daily Driver car ideas

Keep reading on though and they talk about it not being that bad. If you put the 6-speed from a gxp it's probably expensive as hell bc they aren't as common as the ones behind a camaro and gto. I'm not sure if the Holden had a manual option or not but that could be another option to source.

I was joking mostly bc that would be a headache I'm sure acquiring all of the parts you'd need to swap it but it could be done.

I've not looked on there but is the problems your having a common thing among g8's?

Love those cars, sucks you've had so many problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say the 6-spd swap would cost upwards of 4K, as a DIY project. Just the trans, even from a Camaro or T/A is crazy expensive... But still about half price as buying from Tremec....

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've not looked on there but is the problems your having a common thing among g8's?

Love those cars, sucks you've had so many problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It doesn't seem to be that common, but it's hard to tell because the productionnumbers are so low. And there's only a few forums with relatively low membership.

Supposedly there were only ~38,000 G8s total, ~24,000 GTs, and 1,800 GXPs. Probably around 25,000 V8 6l80 cars...

I have seen threads on the Mode switch failure on corvette forums though.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Dropped it back off (4th visit) Saturday for them to look at Monday. Hadn't heard anything so called at lunch. I'm picking it up tomorrow and he said they adjusted the shifter linkage. Apparently the computer thought the shifter was between gears and freaked out...

We shall see, again.

Have you checked any of the Australian forums by chance? They made millions of the things down there.........Might at least give an idea if it's something others have dealt with and fixed.

That stinks. If it makes you feel any better the suburban is stumbling again. Hopefully it is just a bad plug or wire. I know it is electronics, but it won't throw a code so I can't find it. All the fuel trims look good, spark map looks fine, but my pedal position is a little high at idle.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
That stinks. If it makes you feel any better the suburban is stumbling again. Hopefully it is just a bad plug or wire. I know it is electronics, but it won't throw a code so I can't find it. All the fuel trims look good, spark map looks fine, but my pedal position is a little high at idle.
It doesn't, but sorry you continue to have issues too.

I really can't afford to get out of this car right now but it would probably help my sanity. I wish I could turn this and my truck into a 2015 crew cab 1500 but 1) I can't afford it and 2) all the stories of direct injection issues got me scared.

I would look at getting a smaller truck but I don't think Burgundy's Yukon XL could handle even the limited towing duty I would need. Maybe with a cam swap, but not strong enough as is.

It doesn't, but sorry you continue to have issues too.

I really can't afford to get out of this car right now but it would probably help my sanity. I wish I could turn this and my truck into a 2015 crew cab 1500 but 1) I can't afford it and 2) all the stories of direct injection issues got me scared.

I would look at getting a smaller truck but I don't think Burgundy's Yukon XL could handle even the limited towing duty I would need. Maybe with a cam swap, but not strong enough as is.
I will say that the suburban had no problems with towing the buggy to Harlan. It was no F350, but it pulled everything just fine.

I am in the same place on the suburban. Totally upside down and can't afford to get rid of it, but I can't afford to keep it either. Hopefully this new problem will only set me back a couple hundred. The upside is that it is starting to get Jan open to the idea of a CJ7 in the driveway.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
What pisses me off most about it is I could have kept dealing with the mom and pop shop that changed the fluid and filter and they could have thrown parts at it until something worked much cheaper than the dealership. I took it there because they're the "experts" and have all the diagnostic equipment to figure it out the first time, right?....

Instead I've had to leave it there for days each time, get friends and family to taxi me back and forth, had it towed in once...

I just want to be able to trust it, but even if they get it "fixed" I don't think I ever will.

Something tells me you have a wiring connection issue. Not a sensor or internal issue. Figuring it out is gonna be a doozy, but it's not uncommon on Delco electronics. I remember Craig's 1500HD leaving us in the snow a couple years back because of a bad connection on the TB drive by wire sensor.

I don't know what it would cost but it may be worthwhile to just order a new harness or connection ends for the trans sensors just to see if it works.

I know how it is to have one of those issues that just won't go away. It is 50% of the reason I built a buggy and ditched the 4runner. The brakes always threw me for a fit. Hind sight, I would have just ran all new brake lines on the thing...

But, I don't regret the switch one bit. It just sidelined the Camaro a few years, which is sidelining other projects now.