Truetrac install cost

I wouldn't call yourself "fan" or "not a fan" without firsthand experience. There are too many people that have done what you are wanting to do for you to go against the grain and all the knowledge here.

Just be a copy-cat and be done.

I have experience with air equipment... any thing that has to do with compressed air can leak. I am in college for mechanical engineering I have taken several classes in electrical engineering, fluids, and hydraulics and pneumatics. I am the most comfortable with electrical components ... I have had to replace air lines because of small abrashions causing leaks over time. I can very well imagine that an airline under a jeep will get hit with a rock... I am new to the offroading world I am not going to lie.

This forum is full of folks with an engineering background.

And OX lockers are pita. Todd that rides with me has one in his scout and it always gives him trouble.

I don't know what is involved in making it pneumatic or electric but that could be pretty cool.

I agree with you on the ARB issues. I never had any issues in the blewtj but didn't really have it long enough.

Without reinventing the wheel the ARB is likely the best choice on the market.

Here is a video on the electric shifter, it uses a short cable that you run to where you mount the actuator. Then all you have to do is run some wires into your dash. The problem with the full cable one is, the cable stretches and if you dont seal it right, you can get water in the cable and it will rust.
OX locker Electric Shifter Installation: http://youtu.be/-T-ZowfMwRE

After reading the OX website, I am not going to mess with the cable, air, or electric... they have a drive away lock that you screw into the cover that locks it, and if you want to unlock, just inscrew it. Yes it is harder but the piece of mind of knowing it is going to stay locked is worth it.

Brooks, how many time have you had to have your arb rebuilt, I am not a huge fan of air lines because they can get punctured and if you get a slight leak it might not act right. And eventually any seal goes bad

We aren't flaming you, just trying to help you not make mistakes some of us have made.

I haven't had the arb rebuilt, I had a warranty replacement of the whole unit, the case was defective.

As long as you route the air lines in a safe location I don't see having any problems with them.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
My air lines are routed along the frame rail, above the fuel lines. If a rock gets to them, I'm going to have much bigger issues than an air leak.

after reading the ox website, i am not going to mess with the cable, air, or electric... They have a drive away lock that you screw into the cover that locks it, and if you want to unlock, just inscrew it. Yes it is harder but the piece of mind of knowing it is going to stay locked is worth it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412079919.357217.jpg . Doh!!!!!!

seems like people are trying to compare the standard sh!tty clutch pack style ltd slip to the detroit truetrac. I wouldn't put them in same category. They are totally different designs.

If you are not changing gear ratios when installing a full carrier locker/ltd slip (non selectable) the labor should be less than doing a complete gear install because you are not messing with the pinion. You are only setting the back lash of the ring gear back to what it was before. A selectable locker install would be more for installation because of drilling the housing for airlines, electrical lines, plumbing, switches, ...etc...

If you have an 8.8 and want a Limited slip, why not just go get a 8.8 with the factory limited slip?

That way you get what you want without spending a crap ton of money.

The detroit in the back of my 109 has been awesome. Will probably add one to the front axle if I ever save up for it.

If you are dead set on a True Trac just do it. I'm sure everyone on here would have told me not to weld up my axles if I posted up looking for opinions but thats what I wanted to do, so I did it.
Well I first posted up about the install cost and was hopeing someone on here knew someone who could do it cheap and still do it right.

Well I first posted up about the install cost and was hopeing someone on here knew someone who could do it cheap and still do it right.
PM Meaders and let him quote you a price. He is the man at Clemson 4 Wheel. I know that's a drive for you but they are good peoples.

If you are dead set on a True Trac just do it. I'm sure everyone on here would have told me not to weld up my axles if I posted up looking for opinions but thats what I wanted to do, so I did it.
That's very true. When it isn't your money it is much easier to spend it. #knowdat

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
It's been years, but I had Butch Whittle (Whittle Automotive) do gears in my Explorer. He did front and rear and welded rear for 250 or 300... But, I took him the rear axle removed and the front 3rd member removed. I don't have any contact info for him anymore, but he's near Gilbert. Never had an issue with the setup and I beat on that thing.