Truetrac install cost

How much should it cost to install a Detroit truetrac if I am keeping the same gearing, and I provide 2 sets bearings, shims, diff fluid, and cover with gasket.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
It would be the same shop time as a regear, just no parts price. Front or rear? Another thing to consider is if a shop does it without getting parts through them, they may not warranty the work.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
We had this discussion with a member after our last club meeting. I don't see the point in a full case locker or limited slip for a daily driven mild jeep. When you pay for the regear and full case traction adder, you might as well go ahead and spend a little more to get a selectable locker. .. If not, throw a lockright in and go.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Tru tracs are $475 arb $1100+ then you have to buy the compressor and everything else, So you end up paying close to $1500 after tax and shipping
Lockrites are $300? and don't require a gear setup, especially since you're not changing ratios anyway, I would not pay for a gear setup...

You'll be in $800 for the tru trac after install. What gear and tire size do you have?

Last edited:
Tru tracs are $475 arb $1100+ then you have to buy the compressor and everything else, So you end up paying close to $1500 after tax and shipping
You can get an ARB for around $900 online for a 8.8. The compressor is around $129 I think. 3-500 difference.

If your doing a whole carrier why not a true Detroit???

I would really like to have a selectable locker, like an OX locker, but I dont have that kind of money, as for why not regear, I am looking at getting a dana 44 and regear both to 4.88s after college. Because my jeep is a DD and sees close to 400miles a week, a luncbox would drive me insane. So I went to look at LSDs, I thought about the auburn Ected max, but it has clutch packs that arent rebuildable. This is why I am getting a detroit trutrac, no clutch packs and doesnt have any adverse effects on the road. I am just looking for something a little better than an open diff but I cant afford to break the bank on a selectable locker.

I would really like to have a selectable locker, like an OX locker, but I dont have that kind of money, as for why not regear, I am looking at getting a dana 44 and regear both to 4.88s after college. Because my jeep is a DD and sees close to 400miles a week, a luncbox would drive me insane. So I went to look at LSDs, I thought about the auburn Ected max, but it has clutch packs that arent rebuildable. This is why I am getting a detroit trutrac, no clutch packs and doesnt have any adverse effects on the road. I am just looking for something a little better than an open diff but I cant afford to break the bank on a selectable locker.
I'd have to get a loc rite and deal with it for that reasoning. Your basically lighting $500 on fire by going that route and you still don't have a true locker. JMO though. I don't wheel my DD so I'm probably not the best person to even be commenting.

The detroit supposedly splits the power and gives more of the power to the wheel with the most traction, as long as you dont have a wheel in the air, however if you do, all you have to do is tap the brakes a little.

Facepalm. So many of your threads start with "i dont have much money to spend". If you dont have much money to spend stop dumping money into worthless mods. Will a tru trac help you offroad...maybe, will it help you to the effect of 800 dollars.....no. Be creative, rig up a junkyard e-brake on each wheel in the back. That wheel starts spinning tug on that brake a little to kick the other one in. I have ran a rear limited slip in several vehicles and with the exception of the one in the Jk being assisted by the traction control they are worthless.