The Silver Bullet

Just saw where you welded up your links. Howd you know what length they needed to be with out having the axle in place? Just a rough estimate?
well i bought three arms a while back, and the third one i welded up to the same length as the other long one. my brackets you can move around too, that was another reason why i didn't want to go with the artec/synergy mounts that are all done up together, cause i knew it wouldn't work.

and jim you really need these tires?

well tonight did not go as smoothly as intended. really all i got done was some more grinding, and the slip yoke eliminator. i can not explain how much i hate snap rings. i either one suck at undoin them, or two had a real ****ty set of snap ring pliers (dont think was the case though cause they were pretty big).

the newer jeeps have a harmonic balancer on them, and if you dont use the 3 bolt holes to try and get it off, it aint going to come off, trust me i beat the hell out of it with a hammer. i used 3 6 mm bolts to get it out, buy the longest 6mm bolts you can find, cause the first ones i bought were not big enough. here is a picture of the piece of trash.

harmonicbalancer.jpg

once i got that off, and the snap ring holding the main shaft in, i broke the case apart. be sure to use the designated locations, cause 1 it makes it real easy to seperate and 2 you aint going to mess up your casing.

caseapart.jpg

you gotta take the internals off the one shaft and put it onto the new one.

oldshaft.jpg

all back together except for the yoke and i forgot to take a picture of that. dont forget to put the small rubber seal between the yoke and slip yoke eliminator. and you can see my rtv mess :flipoff2:

casecomplete.jpg

and a picture of the sheet of metal im using for my flat skid. was only 37 bucks, gotta love some surplus steel!

flatskidsheetmetal.jpg

some guy on jeepforum wanted me to go in depth on how i did it, and i just copied and pasted.

01tj

Doing it under the Jeep prob. didn't help, I would think it woulda been way easier to install on the work bench. You only got a few days before you have to enter the Greenwood Mud Bog, better get busy!:flipoff2:

Doing it under the Jeep prob. didn't help, I would think it woulda been way easier to install on the work bench. You only got a few days before you have to enter the Greenwood Mud Bog, better get busy!:flipoff2:
after doing it both ways, its really not a huge difference under the jeep or on the bench, they both suck.

didn't get a whole ton today, but definitely made some progress. i finished cleaning up all the old brackets with the grinder (im beyond sick of grinding now.), cut my wheel well, centered the axle under it, half way assembled brakes(gonna wait till all brackets are on to do hardlines) and tacked on my axle spring perches. right now im shooting for 98 ish inch wheel base.

only picture i got from today.

stretchcut.jpg

also pushed the transmission all the way up to where the skid will be flat. woooo its a tight fit. but it clears. that 1.25 inch body lift is clutch cause its close, but its got enough room. really hopin there isn't a spot i cant see where i'm going to have to cut into the tub.

didn't get a whole ton today, but definitely made some progress. i finished cleaning up all the old brackets with the grinder (im beyond sick of grinding now.), cut my wheel well, centered the axle under it, half way assembled brakes(gonna wait till all brackets are on to do hardlines) and tacked on my axle spring perches. right now im shooting for 98 ish inch wheel base.

only picture i got from today.

stretchcut.jpg
For gods sake clean that shop up. It looks like a tornado went through there.Make sure you turn that cinder block. It will break on its side like that. Imagine if your under it when it breaks!!!!!

Last edited:
well i'm going to 35's though, haha no need to do all this on 33 inch at's :laugh:

but i got some more work done tonight. tacked in the lowers, but i'm pretty sure i'm going to have to push them out farther cause my roll axis is awful with it how it is. oh well its a learning experience.

also got the two mounts on the truss done.

lowers.jpg

and whit yeah we've made a pretty big mess but we cleaned alot of it up tonight cause finding tools was becoming hectic. and i will put two more jackstands under it tomorrow, i didn't think it would break if all four points were on a support, but i stand corrected.

and thanks brooks.

Are your lower mounts 0 or 10 degree?

The mounts on my front axle are 0 and when trying to mount the frame sides and mocked up links, I felt I was using to much of the joint so I'm going to switch the frames to 10 degrees and hope that will fix my problem as well as provide some stability.

The mounts on my front axle are 0 and when trying to mount the frame sides and mocked up links, I felt I was using to much of the joint so I'm going to switch the frames to 10 degrees and hope that will fix my problem as well as provide some stability.
You have to work on your **** first before you can do any of that.

they are 0 degrees unfortunately. i did mount them with a slight angle coming in though at the axle, and filled in the gap with welds ( i know probably not the best way to do it.) the joints are being used, but no where near pegged out. i cycled it and it should be fine the way it is. i think i will easily be able to get 10 inches of travel out of the system (size of rear shocks).

and lets try to keep the jibber jabber out of my thread, if it aint related to my jeep then don't post. people may want to read this at some point and not want to read through a bunch of bull **** like you do on jeep forum.

updates :flipoff2:

got a good bit more done today. finished up the upper mounts on the frame. cycle

d it, double checked all the measurements, looked at the calculator, and burned everything on in. The way it looks now i think my rear suspension will treat me right. also finished up all my brake lines, and something else. the end is getting closer!!

here is roughly what my suspension should do.

4linkcalculator.png

tacked in

4link.jpg

all the goods on the axle, brake lines were not on it in this picture yet.

88sealedup.jpg