The Morning Doo

start with a small drill bit (1/8") and step up to a larger one and you'd be able to do that easier/faster without dulling the bit or work hardening the metal.

Yeah, thats what I had to do, I broke 3 cobalt bits, then got a set of carbide bits from the machine shop then started small and worked my way up to 3/8" and then I finally found and cut through the last of the lock mech

Anyone seen any tow pigs for sale? Tired of driving my parents rigs and looking for a truck. I just need to fix my white ZJ and sell it to get that as a down payment. Im open to just about anything, duramax, 99-06 powerstroke, maybe a 6.4 but I feel like id shoot myself a few years down the road when it blows up, or a cummins. I've been on craigslist every day and found a few decent ones but I also wouldn't mind dealing with a reputable dealership with people we know. I went to Big O yesterday but they say their used diesels stay on the lot for a few hours, day or 2 at most and are usually gone.

01tj

Anyone seen any tow pigs for sale? Tired of driving my parents rigs and looking for a truck. I just need to fix my white ZJ and sell it to get that as a down payment. Im open to just about anything, duramax, 99-06 powerstroke, maybe a 6.4 but I feel like id shoot myself a few years down the road when it blows up, or a cummins. I've been on craigslist every day and found a few decent ones but I also wouldn't mind dealing with a reputable dealership with people we know. I went to Big O yesterday but they say their used diesels stay on the lot for a few hours, day or 2 at most and are usually gone.
What year Duramax? Miles? How much you want to spend?

preferably 03+. I was thinking in the 15-18k range but after talking to my parents they thought I should look at some a little newer that would last longer (not that they know what they are talking about with diesels :blah:). I found a few of the newer body style duramaxes with around 100-120k on them for not to bad of a price. Only truck I would feel comfortable with 180-200 on is a 7.3. I was trying to explain to her that a newer diesel is expensive as hell but they were talking about figuring something out so I can't complain. As a recent grad I can get a 1% car loan from the SC credit union so I plan on going that route.

01tj

preferably 03+. I was thinking in the 15-18k range but after talking to my parents they thought I should look at some a little newer that would last longer (not that they know what they are talking about with diesels :blah:). I found a few of the newer body style duramaxes with around 100-120k on them for not to bad of a price. Only truck I would feel comfortable with 180-200 on is a 7.3. I was trying to explain to her that a newer diesel is expensive as hell but they were talking about figuring something out so I can't complain. As a recent grad I can get a 1% car loan from the SC credit union so I plan on going that route.
Yeah a lower mileage Duramax is hard to find. I had to go way out of my price range to get the one I got.

Do what you want to Ronnie. Don't let people encourage you. We all do something different. I have a truck that sits in the yard 90% of the time and I drive my TJ every day. Mainly because its easy to maneuver around town, takes gas instead of diesel, and gets the same mileage as the truck. That and I know I will never nut up and pay the money a newer diesel costs again so I may as well keep this one as nice as possible...lol

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
And whats wrong with that?
We can't all be like you Marcus. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck, but if I was starting now I would buy a nicer, 4 door gas truck. I don't know how long your commute is either, or if it may change in the next few years, but 75 miles a day and parking in a downtown garage sucks with the truck.

Also, I got mine cheap, put a lot of money into it, but now I know what's been done to it.

I've been out of school 2.5 years almost and "started life" with no debt. I thought I was going to buy a new truck whenever I started my job in Greenville until the reality of living alone happened. At the time I couldn't justify another thing to pay for (guessing atleast $400 for payment plus higher insurance and likely fuel) which on a young person starting out that spent a lot of time going out of town and got engaged was a lot. Now that I have some money saved and make more then I was i still hate to think to about having that payment but it would be a lot easier (getting married makes things cheaper, babies do not or giant dogs) we have been talking about selling both of our cars and getting something newer and nicer to be Melissa's car and out of town car and I'll buy something I can pay cash for in either a jeep or truck variety.

If I was you, buy a sub $10k truck gasser in a z71 or a 12-24 valve cummins or 6.0 or 7.3 ford ext cab 4x4 and spend some money to do preventative maintenance stuff and put the rest of the money you'd spend into savings. In a few years you'll have a good chunk of cash saved up and sell whatever you got and buy something newer if you want. I think 4 doors look good but I don't ever haul anymore then 1 or 2 people and the cc truck to me feels a lot longer. I've always heard short trips is what kills a diesel.

I may seem like a cheap bastard but I don't like working my *** off everyday knowing all I'm doing is paying for some object I don't need that makes me sacrifice getting to do other things I want.

I've been out of school 2.5 years almost and "started life" with no debt. I thought I was going to buy a new truck whenever I started my job in Greenville until the reality of living alone happened. At the time I couldn't justify another thing to pay for (guessing atleast $400 for payment plus higher insurance and likely fuel) which on a young person starting out that spent a lot of time going out of town and got engaged was a lot. Now that I have some money saved and make more then I was i still hate to think to about having that payment but it would be a lot easier (getting married makes things cheaper, babies do not or giant dogs) we have been talking about selling both of our cars and getting something newer and nicer to be Melissa's car and out of town car and I'll buy something I can pay cash for in either a jeep or truck variety.

If I was you, buy a sub $10k truck gasser in a z71 or a 12-24 valve cummins or 6.0 or 7.3 ford ext cab 4x4 and spend some money to do preventative maintenance stuff and put the rest of the money you'd spend into savings. In a few years you'll have a good chunk of cash saved up and sell whatever you got and buy something newer if you want. I think 4 doors look good but I don't ever haul anymore then 1 or 2 people and the cc truck to me feels a lot longer. I've always heard short trips is what kills a diesel.

I may seem like a cheap bastard but I don't like working my *** off everyday knowing all I'm doing is paying for some object I don't need that makes me sacrifice getting to do other things I want.

im with this guy

01tj

We can't all be like you Marcus. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck, but if I was starting now I would buy a nicer, 4 door gas truck. I don't know how long your commute is either, or if it may change in the next few years, but 75 miles a day and parking in a downtown garage sucks with the truck.

Also, I got mine cheap, put a lot of money into it, but now I know what's been done to it.
It's all in what you want. You have 3 cars to my 1. I love driving my truck everyday, that's why I bought a loaded out truck with 48k miles on it. Plus most of the time my jeep is on the trailer a few times a month.