Feb 16-19, 2024 - MCJ on the KAT

I'm in with passenger. I'll claim one of the queen bedrooms. 2,5, or 6.

Looks like $125 per person for the weekend. We can go ahead and take paypal now and pay from the club account, or we can have someone pay and take the money. Anyone want to reserve it and we can all send you paypal? WE need to get this thing going ASAP.

Last edited:
We'll be snagging a cabin in the area and hitting the Kentucky Adventure Tour.

Here is a map if you want to download the coordinates and have them ready.
https://www.overlandtrailguides.com/gpx-kentucky-adv-tour

The Kentucky Adventure Tour is a 900+ mile loop (not counting the hard sections) around the hills and mountains of southeastern Kentucky. It is about 40% rural narrow twisty paved roads with the rest being gravel, dirt roads and trails. The route can be run in either direction, and you may choose to start at any location you like. Most adventurers tend to do portions of the route, but we recommend doing the entire track if you want to experienced Authentic Kentucky.

KAT Segment 1 (254 mi) Segment 1 travels from the Hindman area to just outside of the small village of Livingston. Much of this section of the route travels through the Daniel Boone National Forest, which contains numerous campgrounds and side trails to explore. The Red River Gorge Geological Area is definitely worth visiting, and provides numerous swimming, fishing, and boating opportunities. KAT Segment 2 (242 mi) Segment 2 travels from the Livingston to Newcomb, and also traverses through the Daniel Boone National Forest. The route also passes through the 125,000 acre Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area. Segments 1 and 2 of the KAT both provide numerous recreational opportunities, especially those involving water (boating, swimming, fishing, etc). KAT Segment 3 (215 mi)

Segment 3 passes through a combination of forest service roads and county roads and byways. This section does pass through the Cumberland Gap area, but recreational opportunities are fewer compared to segments 1 and 2, although we definitely recommend checking out Pineville Overlook and Chain Rock.

KAT Segment 4 (222 mi) This section of the route begins in the Clintwood, VA area, and makes it's way back across the Kentucky border and concludes near Hueysville. This segment travels primarily through county roads and byways. Please be mindful of private property, as dispersed camping opportunities on this segment will be far and few between.

Alternative Routes

The route features numerous "hard trails" along the route. If you're looking for something bit more technical and challenging, then you'll want to check these out!

Camping Recommendations

Dispersed camping is permitted in various areas within Daniel Boone National Forest. We encourage adventurers to take advantage of the exquisite wild camping, where permitted.

Discovery Points
  • DP1 - Southfork Elk view
  • DP2 - North Fork Kentucky River
  • DP3 - Nada Tunnel
  • DP4 - Red River Gorge Geological Area
  • DP5 - Red River Jump Rock
  • DP6 - Wildcat Battle Monument
  • DP7 - Natural Arches
  • DP8 - Laurel River Lake
  • DP9 - Dog Slaughter Falls
  • DP10 - Wagon Arch
  • DP11 - Yamacraw Historic Bridge
  • DP12 - Princess Falls
  • DP13 - Twin Arches
  • DP14 - Pickett Fire Tower
  • DP15 - Oscar Blevins Historic Farmstead
  • DP16 - East Rim Overlook
  • DP17 - Pineville Overlook
  • DP18 - Cumberland Gap
  • DP19 - Pinnacle Overlook
  • DP20 - Hensley Settlement
  • DP21 - Black Mountain
  • DP22 - Birch Knob Observation Tower
  • DP23 - Mill Rock Point Overlook
Hey Brooks. Is there a secret to downloading the file? I am having issues, both on my phone and laptop. "The XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it."

Last edited:
I've recieved $$ from:

1. Brooks (Queen)
2. Larry (Queen + 2 Twin)
3. Wayne (Queen)
4. Kris (Queen)
5. 1/2 from David Porter (Queen and 1 Twin) - I think Chris Tackett is the other 1/2 of this.

6. Available (Queen)

VRBO shows 6 bedrooms. Chris Tackett should be in the other half of Davids Room and that leaves one room with a Queen and 2 twins available.

The house can sleep 13, so it looks like we are only at 10 right now with room for 3 more in beds.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've recieved $$ from:

1. Brooks (Queen)
2. Larry (2 Twin)
3. Wayne (Queen)
4. Kris (Queen)
5. 1/2 from David Porter (Queen and 1 Twin) - I think Chris Tackett is the other 1/2 of this.

6. Available (Queen and 2 Twins)

VRBO shows 6 bedrooms. Chris Tackett should be in the other half of Davids Room and that leaves one room with a Queen and 2 twins available.

The house can sleep 13, so it looks like we are only at 10 right now with room for 3 more in beds.
I have the queen/2 twin room with 3 people.

So i've loaded the trail into GaiaGPS and I'm working on making a route that we can divide up by days. Our cabin is near the top of the KAT loop right next to HARD 1 and HARD 11 that were shown at the beginning of this thread. Hard 1 is the light blue trail and Hard 11 is the pink trail. You can see the House symbol, thats where our Cabin is located. These are both fairly close to the house, the other Hard sections are a bit more of a drive. I'll dig more into that soon.

1697720945540.png

1697721028276.png

1697721065315.png