Feb 16-19, 2024 - MCJ on the KAT

We've reserved a cabin in Slade, KY and are hitting the Kentucky Adventure Tour.

There will be a group meeting 2/16 Friday morning at Bill and Frans for breakfast. They will be leaving B&F at 8:00AM.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/7jCqx/-Zpaq6LHjsSq9

Food Plans:
Friday
Dinner - Burgers (Larry, David, Chris)

Saturday
Breakfast - Wayne Breakfast Casserole
Dinner - Restaurant

Sunday
Breakfast - Flyin Lion Churro French Toast and Bacon
Dinner - Brooks/Casey/Patrick - Pizza Pasta

Monday
Breakfast on the Road?

We will be running most of Main 1 and we plan to hit Hard 11, 1, 2, and 3.

Friday

Drive to Cabin in Rogers/Zoe, KY

Saturday

Leave Cabin 30 minutes to Beginning of Hard 11

Take loop through Slade, and the Nada Tunnel

Fallow Spaas Creek Road to punkin hollow

Run Hard 1 and head to Beattyville

Beattyville back to the Cabin

Sunday

Run Hard 2

Follow KAT

Run Hard 3

Monday

Breakfast on the way out

Here is a map if you want to download the coordinates and have them ready.
https://www.overlandtrailguides.com/gpx-kentucky-adv-tour

The Kentucky Adventure Tour is a 900+ mile loop (not counting the hard sections) around the hills and mountains of southeastern Kentucky. It is about 40% rural narrow twisty paved roads with the rest being gravel, dirt roads and trails. The route can be run in either direction, and you may choose to start at any location you like. Most adventurers tend to do portions of the route, but we recommend doing the entire track if you want to experienced Authentic Kentucky.

KAT Segment 1 (254 mi) Segment 1 travels from the Hindman area to just outside of the small village of Livingston. Much of this section of the route travels through the Daniel Boone National Forest, which contains numerous campgrounds and side trails to explore. The Red River Gorge Geological Area is definitely worth visiting, and provides numerous swimming, fishing, and boating opportunities.

Alternative Routes

The route features numerous "hard trails" along the route. If you're looking for something bit more technical and challenging, then you'll want to check these out!

Camping Recommendations

Dispersed camping is permitted in various areas within Daniel Boone National Forest. We encourage adventurers to take advantage of the exquisite wild camping, where permitted.

Discovery Points
  • DP1 - Southfork Elk view
  • DP2 - North Fork Kentucky River
  • DP3 - Nada Tunnel
  • DP4 - Red River Gorge Geological Area
  • DP5 - Red River Jump Rock
  • DP6 - Wildcat Battle Monument
  • DP7 - Natural Arches
  • DP8 - Laurel River Lake
  • DP9 - Dog Slaughter Falls
  • DP10 - Wagon Arch
  • DP11 - Yamacraw Historic Bridge
  • DP12 - Princess Falls
  • DP13 - Twin Arches
  • DP14 - Pickett Fire Tower
  • DP15 - Oscar Blevins Historic Farmstead
  • DP16 - East Rim Overlook
  • DP17 - Pineville Overlook
  • DP18 - Cumberland Gap
  • DP19 - Pinnacle Overlook
  • DP20 - Hensley Settlement
  • DP21 - Black Mountain
  • DP22 - Birch Knob Observation Tower
  • DP23 - Mill Rock Point Overlook

Last edited:
From a bit of research I have done, there are sections of the KAT that are considered the HARD sections as briefly mentioned in the "Alternate Routes" section above. We need to dive into this and get a full route so that we can determine where our Basecamp Cabin will be.

If anyone can dive into the cabin situation on AirBnb, VRBO, ect. that would be great!

few houses available that say they sleep at least 10, can you guys take a look at these and let get some details together for them. updated list below

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
We need to decide what sections we're trying to run. Briefly looking last night I think there's Hensley Settlement is near Harlan.

Once we know which ones we definitely want to do, pick close to hardest or somewhere centrally located?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
So, I figure we want minimum of 5 bedrooms on this, here is the updated list:

Terrapin Station

Eagle View

Luxury Log Cabin

Timberview

Red River Gorge-ous

These are all situated near Hard 11, which is on the list. Its near Slade and Natural Bridge. Any of these should work. Can you guys review them and lets discuss whats best?
Comparison sheet attached. Timberview and Red River both have 3 full baths, with one in Red River attached to King bedroom. Anne's Grande (log cabin) has the most rooms and beds. I didn't like the pics of the snow, but... :) You guys tell me. I am low maintenance, so the bathroom situation is up to you! Feb 16-19 KAT.jpg

Alright, I think we need to get a head count and people can prepay so we can snag this spot.

Kris do you want to send a google form out to ask? or how should we ask who is in? Post up here?