Dana 44 tech

Dana 44 tech and build

Well as most of you know, my dana 30 blew up this weekend. I picked up 44 from an 1988 grand wagoneer yesterday, and now its on to building it. I am going to post up pictures as i build it in this thread, try to provide some tech, and i will ask my questions in here as well.

Here is a pic of what i'm starting with

347931A4-838A-4707-AA64-3F3DC411F8DE-2165-000000CD7BDDAA29.jpg

Yesterday me and J.R. (XJ savage) went out to pull apart and mix matched a bunch of parts to get a good starting platform to build this thing. What i have so far is 1 ford ttb rotor and hub, 2 warn premos, and calipers. so as of now i need some small bearing chevy 44 spindles, a passenger side chevy knuckle, gears, and chromos.

Last edited:
Damn. I woulda had the spindles and knuckles for ya but have sold most of it. Still have one spindle. Pretty sure it's small bearing. Marcus thought it was. I know very little about Dana 44 stuff.

Who's got the best deals on chromos right now?

Marcus i need a flat top so i can run a high steer arm on that side for the drag link, so that the drag link matches the throw of the TJ pitman arm. And steve if you have those parts laying around i'm interested in them.

Who's got the best deals on chromos right now?.
I'd say ECGS, but call them instead of purchasing via the net. Try to get ahold of either Chase or Ryan if you call, and make sure that you do your lowest price research as they'll usually beat it. I picked up the front and rear 10 factory chromos for my JK and the inner chromos for my TJ from them and they beat everyone's shipped price by a decent amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd say ECGS, but call them instead of purchasing via the net. Try to get ahold of either Chase or Ryan if you call, and make sure the do you lowest price research as they'll usually beat it. I picked up the front and rear 10 factory chromos for my JK and the inner chromos for my TJ from them and they beat everyone's shipped price by a decent amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool thanks for letting me know that. I will be calling them sometime soon

01tj

Yea RPM Offroad is where I got my old Chromos. Woodlee has pretty good prices at Wide Open Design.

you need some angle on the control arm brackets, those wont work in a TJ with stock Coil mounts on the frame.
why cause the links will be up into the frame, similar to how they are in the rear of mine?

edit: sorry misread that post. i understand now.

Last edited:
why cause the links will be up into the frame, similar to how they are in the rear?
if you put those brackets where they line up with your coils on the frame vertically, then your control arms will be straight back, which will be all up in your tires when you turn. The control arms need to angle in to the frame mounts.