Daily Driver car ideas

I just got bad news on my DD. So I've been looking. The problem is finding something cool, without stupid miles, and satisfying my cheap @$$ ways. If it craps out, I'll be able to make a decision a lot faster.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Go ahead and get afm tuned out before it goes to swtich back to 8cyl mode and a lifter doesn't pump up...
I'll have to do my homework on tuners. If I get something soon I'd like it to be able to work for more upgrades later.

I drove another one with just under 100,000 miles and the transmission felt soft. This one has a solid thunk when first put in gear and the shifts are much firmer, leading me to think it's at least been rebuilt, maybe modified. But, these two are the only automatic sporty cars I've driven so don't really know what is normal. Any tell-tale signs that the trans has been in to?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I did a little reading today and might see if I can find a used superchips cortex. That would let me run an 87 octane tune with afm off and see how it affects mpg, and go back if I want. Also has some data logging features that could be handy.

Gotcha, just call around to some people before you jump on handheld. Street tune is $250 from V8muscle.net. He may do DOD delete for the same as a speedo change you will just have to call and see. When your ready i'll fwd you his cell.

it will get slightly worse without a tune depending on commute. However with a tune it will get better. Mine went from 18.5 with dod to over 20 without on greenville commute.

He had a guy in the shop at work put it in. I think he helped him though. You know Jimmy can't let people work on his stuff without being in there with em'.

I missed the 17 previous pages somehow.. Not cheap or 40+ mpg by any means but my next vehicle will be a 60s-80s muscle/sports car with a 5.3 swap. Would love to find one with decent interior and drivetrain pulled. If I can get close to 20 and have fun driving it mission accomplished.

Put a T-56 behind it and don't gear the piss out of it or screw with the cam and you can get 30 all day in an older/lighter car. And still be plenty of fun to drive.