2013 Spring Offroad Festival discussion

thought would start a new thread to discuss the options etc relating to spring offroad festival.

the several biggest questions to start to try to answer are:

a. can we still have it at Lake Murray blvd location?
b. if yes, to A: is it feasible to still try and logistically organize space, people and vehicles into that space for one more year?
c. logistically, what weekends are available for April or May?

If we can probably initially just answer those biggest questions then I think its feasible to then get some new recruits for a committee to get it moving forward. I will volunteer to help/start a committee. etc.

I think we might be able to recruit a few people from Charleston or I can try to recruit Ricky to try and help some.

Thoughts.. discussion starter...

thought would start a new thread to discuss the options etc relating to spring offroad festival.

the several biggest questions to start to try to answer are:

a. can we still have it at Lake Murray blvd location?
b. if yes, to A: is it feasible to still try and logistically organize space, people and vehicles into that space for one more year?
c. logistically, what weekends are available for April or May?

If we can probably initially just answer those biggest questions then I think its feasible to then get some new recruits for a committee to get it moving forward. I will volunteer to help/start a committee. etc.

I think we might be able to recruit a few people from Charleston or I can try to recruit Ricky to try and help some.

Thoughts.. discussion starter...

As far as things that need to be done.

We need people to do:

1. Advertising (email, forums, news contacts, newspaper, craigslist, internet, flyers etc.)
  2. Sponsors and Vendors (companies graciously supply our raffle prizes for the event, but it takes time to contact all of them.)
  3. Food (if we hold people there from morning to afternoon we need to offer food or they are going to leave)
  4. Event Setup and Layout ( this includes planning for the RTI ramp and any other events at the festival and how to lay it all out in the small area available)
  5. Day of Volunteers (We need people to work the mike, work the food booths, we need car parkers, and we need someone to run each of the events)
  6. Clean up Volunteers (many people that get there early in the am cant stay to clean up so we should have separate people for setup and teardown, unless we have plenty of help)

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I rode by there last night to think about parking. The landscaping company across Lake Murray Blvd has a large gravel lot. I can stop by there one day and ask if we could use it as overflow.

As far as food, Papa Johns would probably do pizza again and if we act quickly we could probably get chips/drinks/plates/etc from Publix.

Don't everyone speak up at once. Who will volunteer to put this on and when should we do it. We need to PICK A DATE ASAP!!!

Here are some notes from our February Meeting Last year.

1-23-12 ----Spring Offroad Festival Meeting Agenda

- Grassy Field Next to the Furniture Barn on Lake Murray Blvd.
- Easy Access and good exposure.
- Its Free
Food
- Pizza
o Papa Johns
o Dominos
o Little Ceasars
o Pizza Hut
o Most Pizza is Donated so Donations from food sold.
- BBQ
o Bone-In?
o Palmetto Pig?
o Unsure on Donations.
- Chick Fila
o No Donation to CF

Events
- Teeter Totter Truck Obstacle
- RTI Ramp
- RC Rock Crawl
- Show and Shine

Vendors
- Contact
- Follow-up
-
Setup and Teardown on Site
- Setup Rock Crawling course weekend before if possible (April 20-22?)
- Setup flags and parking signs and mark everything out on Friday April 27th.
- Need a crew to help clean up after the event and take down RC Course, parking signs, etc.

Parking
- We need to have an attendant on duty at all time putting people in the field across from the event.

Site Arrangement
- This will be based on number of entrants and vendors on hand. Last year we had a vague idea of both, hopefully we can be more prepared this year.
- Have marked spaces fore each vehicle and have a few people in charge of parking them in each spot… no huge gaps and wasted space.

Time Schedule for the event
- Start and end time
- Time to start food, rti, teeter totter, rc rock crawl

Managers
- We need someone in charge of each section of the show
-
- Setup
-
- Teardown
-
- Parking
-
- Show and Shine
-
- RTI Comp
-
- Teeter Totter
-
- RC Rock Crawl
-
- Vendors
-

I think the Shown and Shine, RTI and RC comp went over the best and the RC event actually brought in a good amount of people, it also allowed people to enter their kids. I was thinking this year we could have an RC rig that kids could "test drive/Rent for say 5 minutes for a donation" We could make the course easier this year to make it a faster course.

Eliminating the Teeter totter would help keep things moving along faster as the RTI is simple.

Main thing is we need a Date, and We need Commitment from the club that they are willing to help. This is put on BY MidCarolina Jeepers, yet last year most of our membership was absent.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Can't edit that post, but without the teeter totter we can park a good number of cars along that side of the field. If the landscaping company let's us park there, I think space will be fine.

Can't edit that post, but without the teeter totter we can park a good number of cars along that side of the field. If the landscaping company let's us park there, I think space will be fine.
Supporters should be able to edit posts, are you on your phone?

But yes I think we could park some along the road with the teeter totter missing.

May 4 would be best I think because that is as close to last year's event as we could get while dodging the Gulches Tennis Ball Event.

I would be game to help planning and working the vendors and overall publicity for the event. May 11th would work better for me as I think I might be going down to Jeep Beach @ Daytona this year. IT is april 29th so back to back weekends would be challenging. So, having a weekend in between would be better. I could probably get Ricky to help with both of those items as well.

Matt

I would be game to help planning and working the vendors and overall publicity for the event. May 11th would work better for me as I think I might be going down to Jeep Beach @ Daytona this year. IT is april 29th so back to back weekends would be challenging. So, having a weekend in between would be better. I could probably get Ricky to help with both of those items as well.

Matt

I prefer the 11th same reasons Matt discussed. I can offer afterwards help cleaning up and pre-crowd stuff. I plan to bring some parts and need to be present for possible sales,etc...
We can try to get some of our club to assist too. We will have a meeting next month and I will bring it up..

Sweet either of those weekends are right after finals, so i should be able to make it. hopefully i can drag a few other Clemson boys down.

RC car will be gettin hopped up on 3s for the event :cheers:

I prefer the 11th same reasons Matt discussed. I can offer afterwards help cleaning up and pre-crowd stuff. I plan to bring some parts and need to be present for possible sales,etc...
We can try to get some of our club to assist too. We will have a meeting next month and I will bring it up..

Matt
If we do it on the 11th we will need to procure audio equipment because Tripp cannot be there. He has helped out in more ways than I can think and I would say its a bad decision to hold it a weekend he could not be there to help.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
If we do it on the 11th we will need to procure audio equipment because Tripp cannot be there. He has helped out in more ways than I can think and I would say its a bad decision to hold it a weekend he could not be there to help.
Audio, electrical, tables, etc. We brought a whole trailer of Tripp's stuff last year. I'm in the same boat for the 11th. I won't say that I'm not going to come to the festival if its that day, but I'd definitely be out for Friday night setup. And, I think we would loose some attendance. I know my friends from B-L that would come out on another day would go to the Poultry Festival instead.

I will help any way I can. Not good at much but manual labor. Anything I have such as truck, trailer tools etc. is available. Can't say for sure till y'all nail down a date.

What about the following Saturday, the 18th?
All of the chickens will have been choked the previous weekend.
Is that what you do at a poultry festival ??
Cock fights? Don't forget to lubricate your zippers....
etc.................