04-06 Suburban or Yukon XL

I have been searching for 6mo, trying to find a decent 01 or newer Tahoe 4x4 for the wife.
About a month ago she found a 99 Yukon SLT 4x4. It only has 190,000mi, good interior, an actual tow package not just a hitch, so I checked it out. $3000 later, it's hers. $500 worth of parts later, it now has keyless&remote start, brake controller, new ball joints, head/turn/tail lights, grill, markers, power mirrors.
We were really wanting the 01&newer with the 5.3, but considering the $, miles, and mechanical condition, we took a chance. Not to mention the guy showed me the records he had from recent repairs. New radiator, water pump, intake, distributor, coil tune up, injector, regulator, service every 3K by Firestone in Lex.

I have heard every BS line a sales man knows, and no shortage of those. I run into several 4x4s that didn't work.
I know how hard it was for us, so good luck to you.!

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Ok, Jimbo, Matt, guys that have more experience with these than I do, if the price is right is there a mileage number you wouldn't exceed? I'm getting tired or looking, but I don't want to buy something I'll regret. I found a local trade, one owner, dealer serviced, '05 with a 195,000 miles on it. It's clean, and the price is right, but I can't get past the miles...

Gms seem to run in 80k mile cycles. Whatever that thing needed was probably done around 160k. Trans, intake gasket, BCM, gauges, ect....I wouldn't be scared of it at all but the price must reflect the miles. As with anything over 80k always save room in budget for a trans, rearend, or engine. None of which are that big a deal do someone fairly crafty with a wrench.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
He said he has $7800 in it and needs to make a little money off it.

A year ago an engine, trans, etc wouldn't have bothered me that much. But with certain life changing events around the corner I doubt I'll be doing engine swaps in my basement while my wife doesn't have her vehicle. I have to assume I'd be paying someone for major repairs.

Last edited:
I see 100's of GM 5.3's in the fleet. The 05 with 195k is not bad at all. They are holding up, and with little to no issues. A well kept 195k drive train isn't anything to be afraid of.
My dad's 09 had 235mi when he got it in December 2010. As of now is at 165k, and only had general repairs. Brakes, tires, plugs, and a battery.
Those 5.3 drive lines are pretty well put together.

I haven't read all of this thread but just throwing in my suburban experience. We have a 2000 2500 with the 6.0 and it still has the original motor and trans in it at 330,000 miles. Haven't had to replace really much of anything in it at all. Mostly highway miles, I've towed the Jeep with it a handful of times. If the trucks in good shape I wouldn't be nervous about it.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I drove that one yesterday and its nice, but you could tell it had 200,000 miles on it. There were a couple little issues that if I had time to deal with I would probably get it, but I don't.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The dealership is new and doesn't have a website yet that I've found. Biggest thing was it wouldn't go into 4Lo. It clunked and tried but wouldn't engage. Probably never has been in low. There was also a roaring that sounded like a bearing, but couldn't narrow down where it was coming from.

If still looking, saw one yesterday by the road I assume was for sale. Between Bucklevel rd and airport rd on Old Laurens Hwy in Greenwood. White with the body-color grille and bumper (I think the Z71's came this way)

I bought my 04 Z71 Suburban in October of 2012 with 165k on it for 7k out the door. Keep looking, you can find a deal out there. Also, check out z71tahoesuburban.com. Lot of good info there. I know you said no black vehicles but they really do look the best(in my opinion) when cleaned up. I just got rid of it a couple weeks ago. I ended up getting a 2500 Avalanche with the 8.1.
Old

New

DJ

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Search is over. Just got back from Mathews, NC with a white '05 Yukon XL SLT 4x4, 1 owner (old lady), bought and fully dealer serviced at the dealership I got it from. Picture tomorrow, I'm tired.

Burgundy's car is available for sale today only (going to Toyota Center or Carmax tonight). 2009 Toyota Venza, right at 77,000 miles, V6. 1 owner, dealer serviced blah blah blah, every option available except DVD player and its FWD not AWD. White with tan leather. KBB is over $20K. $18K firm if you know somebody who wants it and can come up with the money on short notice.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Hey Jimbo, know who to take it to for cluster repair? Tach reads low intermittently. I'm not too worried about it right now, but just checking. Only other issues I noticed were leaking steering box (going to try stopleak first) and the seal around the sunroof is deteriorated.