Joined the RedTJ club... Kinda

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
20180423_210549.jpg

New battery in. Fired right up and purrs like a kitten. An old, asthmatic kitten, but purrs nonetheless.

I remember asking about stock tj battery hold downs. Back in 2012/13, I couldn't find them, but they're available now. This is what the generic rubber one looks like now
20180423_210413.jpg .

Can't get the factory one before Wednesday, so another rubber one for now.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
20180425_164814.jpg

First trip with the trailer and I couldn't be happier. Thing handles like a sports car in the twistys. It reminds me of my old red drop spindle trailer, except this one isn't a home built piece of crap :smile:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
20180906_201545.jpg

My old winch rope is going on the trailer. I got this rope a while back in a FB auction and finally picked up a thimble. Now I need to figure out why the brake doesn't work on the 9.5ti.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Since I postponed the motor swap, I figured I should change the oil and do the semi-annual inspection.

The UCF skids have been doing their job.
20181230_110750.jpg

And the rear sway bar and link took a pretty hard hit at some point.
20181230_131731.jpg

Harbor freight press to the rescue again.
20181230_125847.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Not directly related to engine swap, so back to your regularly scheduled build thread.

I have more go and need more whoa... I swapped out the brake master cylinder and booster today. The master cylinder was leaking out the piston and the booster was rusting badly. I don't know if there was actually anything wrong with the booster, but I had the parts and was to that point, so I changed it anyway. I've only driven it a little bit so I'll report back. It does feel a little better and more consistent in its stopping.

I also fixed my ARB leak.

Pre-Moab to do list.
20191231_172802.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Last week I got my 9.5ti brake assembly in from Clemson 4 Wheel. I pulled the bumper AGAIN and disassembled the winch. The brake assembly comes with a new drive shaft but I considered not changing it because that requires removing the gear housing. I could see some crusty grease in there so I went ahead and completely disassembled and glad I did.

Brooks came by seeking refuge from their cold and rainy camping trip so he helped me get it regreased and back together. This time, I decided to test it before putting it back in the bumper and on the jeep. I bolted to an old reciever insert mount I have laying around, put it in the truck, spooled it half way in and pulled against the jeep with it. Brake held!

While the bumper was off, I swapped the power steering line that got into the crank pulley. In that process we lost all the fluid from the reservoir and I don't have any more so that ended the progress for the day.

Last week I got my 9.5ti brake assembly in from Clemson 4 Wheel. I pulled the bumper AGAIN and disassembled the winch. The brake assembly comes with a new drive shaft but I considered not changing it because that requires removing the gear housing. I could see some crusty grease in there so I went ahead and completely disassembled and glad I did.

Brooks came by seeking refuge from their cold and rainy camping trip so he helped me get it regreased and back together. This time, I decided to test it before putting it back in the bumper and on the jeep. I bolted to an old reciever insert mount I have laying around, put it in the truck, spooled it half way in and pulled against the jeep with it. Brake held!

While the bumper was off, I swapped the power steering line that got into the crank pulley. In that process we lost all the fluid from the reservoir and I don't have any more so that ended the progress for the day.
new amsoil on the way. The brake on that winch works like a champ now!

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I uncovered some ghosts of past owners pulling the stock cage. Someone had tapped in a couple speaker wires from the pods, by twisting and taping the connection, then put a short piece of wire in place of the cut and just twisting that too.
20200307_125907.jpg 20200307_130811.jpg

WTF Jeep?!
20200307_144505.jpg
I twisted my security torx bit on this one. The other side came out with the twisted bit, but this one took vice grips.

All stripped down.
20200307_154119.jpg

I got the new cage set in and some of the bolts started, but the windshield and the c pillars aren't lining up. I quit for the night before cutting anything.