WolfGT 02 TJ

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Honestly, i know as much as you do. The part numbers say "14". Uppers 150lb, lowers 250lb. That is all I know. I called them when i was putting the package together and they worked it up for me. Rides good. The King air bumps really help though.

Honestly, i know as much as you do. The part numbers say "14". Uppers 150lb, lowers 250lb. That is all I know. I called them when i was putting the package together and they worked it up for me. Rides good. The King air bumps really help though.
yeah I guess they are both 14s, I just looked back at your pics. For some reason I thought you had said they were 12" over 14" like mine.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Yesterday was the day to take the jeep to the shop and work out the kinks in preparation for Windrock. The biggest issue was to fix the air line to the rear locker. I figured that should be an easy fix so I was ready to attack other items. I fixed the air line and then figured I would move on to find the air leak in the system. I noticed on the last trip that the compressors would kick on way too much. Must be a leak somewhere. But when I charged up the system, the compressors didn't kick off until 185psi. WTF!. Then they kick back on at 140. I pulled the pressure switch and it is labeled 110 on and 145 off. But it is consistently running 140 on 185 off. I am pretty sure I remember it working properly on the last trip. The tank/system can handle around 200-220psi, so it is no big deal, but if it is wrong now, what will stop it from suddenly not working at all and not cut off. So I need to get a new switch.

Then on to the big problem of the day. The rear axle has been leaking on the passenger side ever since I had someone pull the rear shafts to swap the bolt hole pattern to the 5.5 on 5. I figured I would pull it apart to see exactly where the leak was coming from.

When I pulled the tire off, I took a good look around. There was so much gear oil and dirt, it was hard to see details, so I pulled the emergency brakes out so I could get a better look. Once it was wiped down a bit, something didn't look right. The pic below is a look at the setup from the bottom looking up.

I am no expert in c-clip eliminator kits and really didn't know what I was looking at, but something didn't look right. I pulled the tire off the driver side and the bracket you see in the picture that is bent out is laying flat on that side. I was not going to take anything apart but when I saw that the leak was not coming from around the shaft itself but around the seal that is behind that bent bracket, I figured I would take a look and add some sealant. Put it back together, no problem. So, I pulled it apart. Bad idea. This is what I found.

No wonder it is leaking. There is no way it is going back in like that. So I took all the pictures I could and thought I would try to beat it back into shape enough to reinstall it and run it back and have it fixed properly by the person that put it in, but I hit it a few times with the hammer and the **** hit the fan. Things just got worse. managed to damage the bearing cage and rollers went everywhere.

So, roll the jeep back into the shop and close the door. That's a wrap.

Called ECGS today and they are sending me a new setup for that side (plus a spare set). The parts should be here tomorrow. I'm going to go get me a new press for the shop today and I'm going to attempt this myself. If anyone has any tips or warnings, please let me know.

Last edited:
I just changed the bearings and seals on an axle. I used a side grinder with a cutoff blade, cut the retaining ring as deep as I could with out getting to the axle then used a cold chisel and cracked it. once its out of the way do the same with the bearing. Was fairly easy. I paid a guy at the transmission shop to press them back on.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Talked with Cole earlier, he thinks it may have been a result of side loading. If the wheel got hit really hard on the inside, it could have bent that retainer as it forced the bearing out of the axle housing. Then if it got out far enough, it could have mangled the seal. No matter what, I'm glad I checked and working to get it fixed. ECGS is overnighting me the parts I need and I just picked up my new shop toy (20 ton press). I should be able to have this all fixed up tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could get on board with that theory, but if your new plate is gonna be that soft and thin wouldn't it just happen again? Really doesn't seem like the best design, i would rather see that part made from tool steel or something less malleable.

Talked with Cole earlier, he thinks it may have been a result of side loading. If the wheel got hit really hard on the inside, it could have bent that retainer as it forced the bearing out of the axle housing. Then if it got out far enough, it could have mangled the seal. No matter what, I'm glad I checked and working to get it fixed. ECGS is overnighting me the parts I need and I just picked up my new shop toy (20 ton press). I should be able to have this all fixed up tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I was trying to figure out how that could happen and was thinking it would have had to be installation, not use. Then I remembered how Greg drives so... yeah it could happen ;)

The plate in the pic is super HD compared to a stock plate on my rubicon. It may not be as strong, but it's twice the thickness. I've bent a set of OE replacement plates on the rubi, so I would guess it's weak steel in this case.
Cole is spot on. It's a side load, and looks like a dam hard hit to do that. Only other way that happens is with something in the differential pushing out, but I'm not imagining that happened here.

Yesterday was the day to take the jeep to the shop and work out the kinks in preparation for Windrock. The biggest issue was to fix the air line to the rear locker. I figured that should be an easy fix so I was ready to attack other items. I fixed the air line and then figured I would move on to find the air leak in the system. I noticed on the last trip that the compressors would kick on way too much. Must be a leak somewhere. But when I charged up the system, the compressors didn't kick off until 185psi. WTF!. Then they kick back on at 140. I pulled the pressure switch and it is labeled 110 on and 145 off. But it is consistently running 140 on 185 off. I am pretty sure I remember it working properly on the last trip. The tank/system can handle around 200-220psi, so it is no big deal, but if it is wrong now, what will stop it from suddenly not working at all and not cut off. So I need to get a new switch.

Then on to the big problem of the day. The rear axle has been leaking on the passenger side ever since I had someone pull the rear shafts to swap the bolt hole pattern to the 5.5 on 5. I figured I would pull it apart to see exactly where the leak was coming from.

When I pulled the tire off, I took a good look around. There was so much gear oil and dirt, it was hard to see details, so I pulled the emergency brakes out so I could get a better look. Once it was wiped down a bit, something didn't look right. The pic below is a look at the setup from the bottom looking up.

I am no expert in c-clip eliminator kits and really didn't know what I was looking at, but something didn't look right. I pulled the tire off the driver side and the bracket you see in the picture that is bent out is laying flat on that side. I was not going to take anything apart but when I saw that the leak was not coming from around the shaft itself but around the seal that is behind that bent bracket, I figured I would take a look and add some sealant. Put it back together, no problem. So, I pulled it apart. Bad idea. This is what I found.

No wonder it is leaking. There is no way it is going back in like that. So I took all the pictures I could and thought I would try to beat it back into shape enough to reinstall it and run it back and have it fixed properly by the person that put it in, but I hit it a few times with the hammer and the **** hit the fan. Things just got worse. managed to damage the bearing cage and rollers went everywhere.

So, roll the jeep back into the shop and close the door. That's a wrap.

Called ECGS today and they are sending me a new setup for that side (plus a spare set). The parts should be here tomorrow. I'm going to go get me a new press for the shop today and I'm going to attempt this myself. If anyone has any tips or warnings, please let me know.
I'm not sure who installed it, but I would say there is no way what is shown in that picture happend from a side load. That looks like the seal did not seat properly when inserting the axle shaft last time and the flange was tightened up anyway. The way that seal is damaged confirms that it was not from a side load. That being said, when you tighten the flange up it may be hard to notice it happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I don't know enough to decide either way. I do know that the installer knows what he is doing and I would rather lean toward trail damage than bash someone that doesn't deserve it. Also, it is just too far of a trip for me to have them fix it. So, onward.

The press is setup and the old bearing, seal, retaining ring and plate have been removed from the axle. Just waiting on the parts to arrive today and I will hopefully have it back together tonight. I'm hoping that I can get it right. Never done it before. Here is the new press with the axle waiting.

Last edited: