Power Wheels

A bunch of sanding and a recoat. Thinned less and opened up my needle a little more. Much better results. I am not happy with the amount of dirt in the paint and you can still see a few of the runs, but it is a toy for my kids and it is time to enjoy it. I will let the paint cure for a couple days while I work on the seat and rolling in some bed liner. Maybe next weekend I will do final assembly with my son and let him enjoy it.

Today he helped me clean up from mowing. All on his own he picked up a rake to clean up clumps of grass and then begged me to use the blower to clean up the driveway.

20200601_232514.jpg 20200601_191927.jpg

how are you going to surprise him with it?
The plan is a dad/son day. I am going to snag him and take him to breakfast. Then off to the shop where we will build it together and have a picnic lunch. He always wants to go to the shop with me. He helps me with everything at home. He has his own impact driver and has helped with everything from maintenance repairs around the house, installing fixtures, and even building new walls in the house. I want to make sure that I nurture his desire to help and learn so building his newest toy will be huge for him. I am tracking down some cameras now so I can time lapse the day. Next week I will be at the shop cleaning up and getting the parts setup so he can be helpful with the assembly.

The plan is a dad/son day. I am going to snag him and take him to breakfast. Then off to the shop where we will build it together and have a picnic lunch. He always wants to go to the shop with me. He helps me with everything at home. He has his own impact driver and has helped with everything from maintenance repairs around the house, installing fixtures, and even building new walls in the house. I want to make sure that I nurture his desire to help and learn so building his newest toy will be huge for him. I am tracking down some cameras now so I can time lapse the day. Next week I will be at the shop cleaning up and getting the parts setup so he can be helpful with the assembly.
I wished i was a little closer (with freetime), that would be a neat little film project to capture.

I wished i was a little closer (with freetime), that would be a neat little film project to capture.
What is this "freetime" you speak of?

Any tips or hints for what I need to do? I am totally at a loss when it comes to video/image capture. I was thinking about just setting up 1-2 Gopros in time lapse and let it capture. Should I take intermittent full speed video of some cool things? I don't want to spend months editing it all together. I will likely have is 1-2 Gopros if I can snag them from work, a low budget DLSR, and a cell phone. Not much to work with.

What is this "freetime" you speak of?

Any tips or hints for what I need to do? I am totally at a loss when it comes to video/image capture. I was thinking about just setting up 1-2 Gopros in time lapse and let it capture. Should I take intermittent full speed video of some cool things? I don't want to spend months editing it all together. I will likely have is 1-2 Gopros if I can snag them from work, a low budget DLSR, and a cell phone. Not much to work with.
You are telling a story... What is that story?

Roughly following along with this I suspect you will want to record the trip over to the shop, talking to him along the way, you will want to capture the moment he first sees it, as well as some footage as he helps you with the final assembly into the first test drive (troubleshooting any issues that come up would be a nice time to film those educationaly moments). Dont focus too much on the "quality" whats most important is the story. A final product would need to be less than 10 minutes...

Might be nice to use one gopro for timelapse. Memory is cheap, you can capture alot on a 64gig memory card these days let them roll on normal speed (battery is the limiting factor), if you decide to make a short film you will want all the content you can get.

Maybe that helps.

Fix a flat? JB Weld?
I am going to try to avoid it. One of these rims had fix a flat in it previous. It was moldy and rusty when I disassembled it. The other wheel looked brand new. I am either going to grind and weld it to fix it right, or gorrilla tape it. I have also used that on my tubeless setup on my mountain bike. These tires sucked to mount so I am not happy to have to remove one. I don't have a micro tire machine although I might build one tonight.

I learned tonight that Rustoleum bed liner is allergic to Rustoleum paint. It is the equivalent of putting aircraft remover on the paint. Lots of cleanup and then another round of liner?

20200609_235029.jpg 20200609_225809.jpg

You two know exactly the thoughts going through my head last night. Honestly I am kicking myself for not spending a little extra money on actual single stage paint. It would have saved me a little money at this point and a lot of headaches. I will be back tonight working on building the harnessing so we will see how bad it is. I might just leave it as a project for the two of us to do in a year or so. We might not ever get to it though. By then he will be ready to drive his buggy.

The wheel no longer leaks. I tried welding. I tried grinding and welding. I tried welding again. I can really quickly break the tire down now. In the end I used RTV and let it set a little. Then cranked up the pressure to set it in the pin hole.

Time to build a harness and upholster the seat.

Tore up my lower back on a deadlift this week so the wiring is totally stalled. I shouldn't have done it, but hindsight is phenomenal.

Do the work yourself. Push what you know. Learn something everyday!

Practicing my sewing to build the seat. #frenchseam

20200616_220022.jpg