Power Wheels

Just placed an order for all the remaining parts that I can think of. Now I really don't want to tally up the receipts to see what I have in this thing. I just have to remind myself that I am having fun building and my kids will have fun playing with it.

Cheap linear actuator is installed! It has built in limit switches. I also built up the motor mounts and added a trailer hitch receiver just because.

I mounted both motors in case I need the torque. Initial wheel spin tells me that my gearing might be off just a bit. The wheel speed might be a little too high for the kids right now.

20200406_234149.jpg 20200406_234028.jpg 20200406_233406.jpg

Thanks. Just a little more sheet metal work and the steering to wrap up. Steering is in place, but the column hasn't been built yet. I need to cut the steering shaft out of the Samurai to get a U-Joint so I can work it up. Because of the build up I am going to have to use a chain drive steering setup. Not happy about it, but the riding mower steering is center mount and my setup is offset. I am going to try to get that done tonight so I can start to design the stickers for the dash display. Sticker shops are slow right now and I would like to support some friends with some print and cut graphic work when they need it. Certainly my job will be a one off and not the production work they are used to, but it is work.

Wheel spin really got me excited to keep working on it. I am thankful to still be working, but I sure wish I could take a day and go over and wrap up the fabrication.

I want a couple of those in a golf cart !!!!!!
Me too. That one is just over 24V nominal. Around 300Ah with a peak discharge of over 300 amps, and continuous of 200 amps to maintain a happy life. I am trying to talk our team into letting me have the ones coming off of test. This one is just a single module, but they are testing one, two, and four module systems. After that they are scrap so I asked if I could have or buy them. They won't be full life, but should still have years of service in my projects since we build for a 6 year transit life working 7 days a week.

Last night was a big old flop. Everything I tried didn't work, everything I touched will have to be cut off and done over. It was just one of those days. I think I found a new speed controller that I am going to go ahead and order for my upgrade. My current one doesn't support regenerative braking and I found one that will. It also has enough current support for both motors.

Brooks, I will actually just be running two small wheelchair batteries. 12V 35ah in series to get to 24V.

Me too. That one is just over 24V nominal. Around 300Ah with a peak discharge of over 300 amps, and continuous of 200 amps to maintain a happy life. I am trying to talk our team into letting me have the ones coming off of test. This one is just a single module, but they are testing one, two, and four module systems. After that they are scrap so I asked if I could have or buy them. They won't be full life, but should still have years of service in my projects since we build for a 6 year transit life working 7 days a week.

Last night was a big old flop. Everything I tried didn't work, everything I touched will have to be cut off and done over. It was just one of those days. I think I found a new speed controller that I am going to go ahead and order for my upgrade. My current one doesn't support regenerative braking and I found one that will. It also has enough current support for both motors.

Brooks, I will actually just be running two small wheelchair batteries. 12V 35ah in series to get to 24V.
I've had those days before, when you hit it next time it will be better.

Well it didn't start any better. My grinder caught fire. After that the night picked up. I got the bed fabrication finished. Now it just needs final weld. Then i jumped over to welding work. There is a lot of seams on this thing so i will be tacking for days.

I did pony up and finally bought a new welding helmet after over 15 years. My Jackson is a solid helmet, but i picked up a Hobart Inventor the other day. It isn't my dream helmet, but it is amazing for all of this tacking work. Now to go buy a couple of new grinders.

20200408_223652.jpg 20200408_223616.jpg

Well it didn't start any better. My grinder caught fire. After that the night picked up. I got the bed fabrication finished. Now it just needs final weld. Then i jumped over to welding work. There is a lot of seams on this thing so i will be tacking for days.

I did pony up and finally bought a new welding helmet after over 15 years. My Jackson is a solid helmet, but i picked up a Hobart Inventor the other day. It isn't my dream helmet, but it is amazing for all of this tacking work. Now to go buy a couple of new grinders.

View attachment 19805 View attachment 19806
this thing looks like a legit yard tool that kubota would sell hah.

I decided to make a new hood. There were a couple of fitment issues I couldn't live with. then i welded up the front end and ground it all down! That sucks.

After that I machined a steering column and started to work it the full steering system. The motor tensioner system works, but i might have to rebuild the motor mount to quiet things down.

20200413_235018.jpg 20200413_235000.jpg 20200413_215511.jpg

I like how the grill and hood turned out. What do you think this thing weighs?
Right now it is probably around 225. I could lift it if I could get a good grip. I don't have a lot more to add either. Another couple pounds of firewall, a little weld, and then some seats. Everything else is there. The main weight of course is the body, but the tires, motors, and batteries are no joke. If it works with one motor I will remove around 15-20lbs right there. It would be great to be able to use more plastic or fiberglass if I ever needed to build another one. I could also remove some weight by building more in a monocoque body style, but that would take more planning. The chair the motors came off of weighed around 75lbs and had a 300lb capacity. I hope it works out.

A whole lot more tack and grind tonight. Then to at least entertain myself a little bit, i wired up a speed controller and pedal to see how it works. Turns out it is the wrong controller. For some unknown reason I grabbed a controller without reverse. I already ordered a replacement but couldn't help but test this one. The pedal works great! Full variable control and more torque than I can stop. I also picked up a bunch of insulators so I can rebuild the motor mounts if needed to help with noise.

Another rough one at the shop. I forgot my phone so no pictures tonight, but i will catch up.

So a hint for everyone that welds or is thinking about it. When you are welding a bunch on your project pay attention to where you just were. DON'T grab anywhere on the project without gloves. You will learn that while your nervous system is crazy fast, it will not release the hot piece of metal that you just burned in before your skin sizzles like the second round of bacon in the frying pan.

Back to the fun. The steering is ready to test. The chain drive is there and it works. It is a little stiff but should break in. Tomorrow should be the final day of visible sheetmetal. I refit the hood tonight and added bracing for the hood hinges. I am trying to be ready for body work by the end of the week.