Power Wheels

Like a few here, I have a couple of kids rolling around in power wheels. My son puts a solid mile in his firetruck everyday we let him. He is all over the neighborhood in that thing. My daughter has joined suite this weekend and her jeep is starting to get some serious use now with the upgraded speed controller. Even the tractor gets put ri work hauling dirt, mulch, and leaves around the yard. We rotate through 6 batteries at a time to keep the kids rolling.

Now I am sick and tired of the range and power issues. I could upgrade and go with upgraded motors, controllers, and batteries. This still leaves me with a fleet of cheap plastic cars. That just won't work.

My daughter did get her first flop this weekend!

20200329_121410.jpg

So now it is the time to build an upgrade. My son loves construction equipment and always wants to help in the yard. So ai schemed up a way to build an electric dump truck!

The plan is to grab the wheels, tires, and steering from my old riding mower. Throw in some electric wheel chair motors and batteries with a ton of metal work to get a new vehicle.

20200329_184525.jpg

I still build. I am just a little burned out on the Jeepster so I have just been having fun. Propane tailgating firepits, hand rails, house remodeling, and a little suspension ans axle work on the Jeepster.

I took some measurements and built up a frame. One good thing about recent world events is that I haven't spent as much time in an airport as normal.

31349.jpeg 31347.jpeg

This escalated quickly... Hope the kids never drive that thing into your leg.....
I totally thought about that yesterday when my son rear ended my wifes car. He is getting a lot better though. I am amazed at the wheel control he can have at 4yo. He can trace the sidewalks at WOT without any problems. I would love to get him on a 4 wheeler, but I have no access for him to ride. So this was my next best option for now.

This is freaking awesome! Wont be long before the kid buggies start construction.
The Samurai is at my shop waiting to be cut down and tubed out for them. My wife said I had to build my buggy before I can start one for the kids. I married well. After this build I need to wrap up the Jeepster and get started on mine.

I totally thought about that yesterday when my son rear ended my wifes car. He is getting a lot better though. I am amazed at the wheel control he can have at 4yo. He can trace the sidewalks at WOT without any problems. I would love to get him on a 4 wheeler, but I have no access for him to ride. So this was my next best option for now.

The Samurai is at my shop waiting to be cut down and tubed out for them. My wife said I had to build my buggy before I can start one for the kids. I married well. After this build I need to wrap up the Jeepster and get started on mine.
now that sounds like a plan!

I will get better bed pictures tomorrow. tonight was lots of trim and fit. It is a good thing my arms are almost long enough for a single person bead roller because i rolled a lot!

Got the floor, seat mount, and battery tray built tonight. Then I started making panels to speed up tomorrow's progress.

20200331_233056.jpg 20200331_233112.jpg 20200331_233104.jpg 20200331_233059.jpg

you are an artist with sheet metal man.
I don't know about that, but I am getting better and I do enjoy it. I was planning on a week long metal beating course this summer, but now that is on hold. I love structural chassis work and suspension work, but the Jeepster exposed me to sheet metal and forming and it is really fun. I need to take a night and install the gear motor on my bead roller so that I can actually keep a straight line and control my curves better. I also need to get an english wheel so I can really move metal. That is waiting for the new shop to be built though. Hopefully we can start the thread on that one soon.

It is getting setup for a 6" linear actuator. 6" will give the bed a 45 degree angle. Shouldn't cost more than $50 with the switch. Debating limit switches to keep the kids from just binding it against the ends. I am also going to put in a cutoff switch to lock out the bed when a bunch of kids are over playing.

Went to my scrap guy yesterday and he is going to pull out a few more chair motors for me! This could get ugly fast.

Another successful night. The back of this thing is coming together, but I am still struggling with a design for the front end. Got the front of the bed on, both bedsides in, and the passenger side panel in place. I also rebuilt the hinge for the bed so it should handle a few hundred pounds now.

20200401_234543.jpg 20200401_234505.jpg