OSCAR Coverage

Not sure if anyone in the group was up at Railbed when I broke. But i'd love to see a video to listen for a noise when the trans let loose. I hope to pull it out wed. and see what all went down.

I was standing there and didn't hear any noise. I thought you had accidently popped it in neutral.
Yeah. There wasn't that much of a noise to me either. It felt an sounded like the same ol stak popping out of gear deal which I fixed with the new shaft. Oh well guess ill see when I pull it

Sent from my iPhone while sitting on the crapper

My Saturday carnage was a broken front truss, both shocks and a bent and dented CV front shaft. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly happened. The driveshaft damage is confusing where it is located. I had issues with clearance on the shaft all weekend. At first glance it looks like I came down on a rock and it bent the shaft and kicked the pinion striaght up breaking the truss welds and reinforcement plate. We are lucky the have gotten in off of the hill without more damage. The truss was definately a weak link as it was only welded to cast and reinforced at diff cover.

The diff is cast steel so it's ok to weld to it. It's best to preheat it, but probably didn't have the heat setting on the welder up high enough to get a good penetration.

Sorry to hear about all the carnage nick, looked like you were pretty bummed out when i saw you beside waterfall. hopefully you can get it fixed quickly for a wheeling trip or two over the summer! And tell your wife she's awesome for letting you come!

The diff is cast steel so it's ok to weld to it. It's best to preheat it, but probably didn't have the heat setting on the welder up high enough to get a good penetration.
Yea. I cant spend any money on a new truss so Im going to lenghten one side to reach the axle tube, build a better diff reinforcement plate and reweld to the cast on the drivers side. I had a welding shop do the cast work with nickel rod but I didnt mention anything to them about the preheat and slow cool. This time I will do it myself and go through that process.

Sorry to hear about all the carnage nick, looked like you were pretty bummed out when i saw you beside waterfall. hopefully you can get it fixed quickly for a wheeling trip or two over the summer! And tell your wife she's awesome for letting you come!
Thx, yea I was a little stressed. I had just broken my winch cable holding the pinion in place and was worried that if it happen again, everything was going to break. I wont be able to wheel again until Fall so it should give me plenty of time to come up with something. Your Jeep was looking good up there.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Just placed my order for synthetic rope. That was the first time I've seen cable snap and I see why it can be so dangerous. Only rope for me from now on.

What an awesome trip! Would have had a lot more fun with a cage, it would have allowed me to do a lot more this weekend. I've been looking up dom prices since i woke up. Definitely gonna have a cage for oscar3.

Just placed my order for synthetic rope. That was the first time I've seen cable snap and I see why it can be so dangerous. Only rope for me from now on.
I want a rope as well now. Not from that but from the fact that a 10klb cable is a pain in the butt to deal with. It is heavy and hard to spool.

What a great weekend. I met a bunch of new people and reconnected with others. I wish I would have mounted up my gopro but it is too late now. I ended up breaking a rear axle shaft ( thank you miller for running it to the welder while I shuttled people and parts). Then I snapped my rear axle retainer twice letting the rear shafts seperate from the diffs. I am guessing there may be a little engine work needed as well.

I have already ordered the power steering setup and found a new motor and trans to upgrade for some more power. The good news is that the suspension worked flawlessly and soaked up everything Harlan had to throw at it.