My XJ's Big Boy Stage

That's much better, but what they were saying is that it needs something to keep it from ripping itself off over time. With it not being welded but on the sides, it will let it rock back and forth over time the welds will give way.

On mine, I didn't have enough room to tie it into the diff cover or the cover. I plug welded it in two spots on top of the diff and also welded it in the front and back.

When you get it under there, if there is room I would try to weld a tab on the diff cover and tie it into the truss.

That's much better, but what they were saying is that it needs something to keep it from ripping itself off over time. With it not being welded but on the sides, it will let it rock back and forth over time the welds will give way.

On mine, I didn't have enough room to tie it into the diff cover or the cover. I plug welded it in two spots on top of the diff and also welded it in the front and back.

When you get it under there, if there is room I would try to weld a tab on the diff cover and tie it into the truss.
I still plan on tying it into the cover.. I went with a piece of 5" wide instead of 3" wide like before that way it comes right up to the cover so I can tie it in to it.

Sent from my iPhone

I still plan on tying it into the cover.. I went with a piece of 5" wide instead of 3" wide like before that way it comes right up to the cover so I can tie it in to it.

Sent from my iPhone
Much better...don't be scared to tie into pumpkin you just have to pre heat and post heat

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Well the time has come! Finally rolled it out of the shop on all for tires today. Still has some little odds and ends to work out but its pretty much finished! Started yesterday finishing up the front and getting it under and all the bolts in and tight also worked out the shock mounts. Turned it around and got the rear ready to go in late last night and finally get her under this morning. Mounted the rear calibers on the wrong side and can't get a good brake pedal so tonight will be getting that worked out. Also missing a rear spindle jam nut. Other then that she looks alright. Hopefully if I can get all these odds and ends worked out this week we'll be off to Gulches and we'll all see what she can do!

IMG_6287_zps14db4f54.jpg

IMG_6288_zpse3bab3a9.jpg

IMG_6310_zps24d137d2.jpg

IMG_6311_zps8f4a53d5.jpg

IMG_6316_zpsb85288f8.jpg

IMG_6317_zps40bbcafe.jpg

IMG_6318_zpsdedabe87.jpg

IMG_6321_zpsd81cd16d.jpg

Stretched her legs today. AND.... we have a problem. The driver side upper hits the driveshaft at flex. Gonna have to cut it off and move it over a bit.. Kinda pissed off about it but whataya gonna do you know? Also got her out on the street and finally got her home. Drove alright, not as good as it use to but i still have some work to do with it to have it perfect.

IMG_6326_zpsc597b357.jpg [

IMG_6327_zps265235f7.jpg

IMG_6328_zps0ec9a68a.jpg

IMG_6322_zpsc99793ea.jpg

Looks good. Only thing i can say is that the tie rod end at the drag link looks just about flexed out at ride height. So full droop (both sides down) its going to be binding which is no bueno.

Stretched her legs today. AND.... we have a problem. The driver side upper hits the driveshaft at flex. Gonna have to cut it off and move it over a bit.. Kinda pissed off about it but whataya gonna do you know? Also got her out on the street and finally got her home. Drove alright, not as good as it use to but i still have some work to do with it to have it perfect.

IMG_6326_zpsc597b357.jpg [

IMG_6327_zps265235f7.jpg

IMG_6328_zps0ec9a68a.jpg

IMG_6322_zpsc99793ea.jpg

The drag link and trackbar are parallel, but you will not get it to drive as good with the lengths that different. Have you measured them both? it looks like the trackbar is almost a foot shorter.

The drag link and trackbar are parallel, but you will not get it to drive as good with the lengths that different. Have you measured them both? it looks like the trackbar is almost a foot shorter.
My trackbar is a good bit shorter than my drag link and it drives fine. I can hit a bump on the road that will jar your back and it still tracks straight over it. Honestly steers better over bumps than my f150.

your trackbar and drag link are basically flat at ride height though.
They used to be. Now not so much. There is a pretty good angle on them since the heim is on the top side of the pitman arm and on the bottom side of the high steer. This picture also shows how short my track bar is.

827168DC-6AA6-4D10-820C-68E9AC01F98F-7233-0000061576BC4502_zpscd48e25a.jpg

Yeah the track bar and drag link difference isn't much different then it was on my 30. Chase has about the same difference on his xj with pretty much the same steering set up on his 30 and his tracks fine. After drivin it a bit today it does fine.. Need to tinker with the brakes and replace the bolt in my driver upper and it should be fine.. A lot of the problems I'm having now is the tires.. They leak down and at different rates so they don't always have the same pressures so that's causing some issues...

Sent from my iPhone

Alright so just got back from Gulches today.. Well my trip was cut a little short. Drove it out there and started to ride some trails. Did a few decent ones then went to the TnT Rock garden to try the left side. Well without a spotter rode up and gave it my all in a bad line and blew something. Still not sure what is but what ever it is the front drive wheel doesn't pull at all. Its either a shaft or the detroit. Gonna pull it apart here soon and figure out what it is. Well since I had 3 wheel drive I kept on with my day. Till a trail later I ripped a sidewall in my passenger front tire. Without a spare limped it to the parking lot. A buddy of mine had a balled 38" that he let me barrow. Kept wheeling a little but nothing too too difficult after that. Great thing is it made it home!! My brother is going to be driving it for a little while since he's come back into town and doesn't have a car so going to pick up some 17s from a friend of mine and put my old 35s off my truck on them so it can drive a little better while he's driving it and give me some time to find another tire/s. Also need to work out some longer bump stops front and rear. Maxing out the shocks which is no good. Over all was a fun trip and learned a lot about the new set up. I'm not aggravated at all about it, I mean this was a test run trip.

IMG_6365_zps13a1efa4.jpg

IMG_6367_zps0f66319b.jpg

IMG_6368_zps4595c77b.jpg

Buddy of mine realizing the strength of the factory steering and 35s lol
IMG_6364_zpse15037e8.jpg

Video of me going up sidewinder. Was a little slushy and only having 3 wheel drive I needed some speed to get up.

[video=youtube;U3dGpKAqFJo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3dGpKAqFJo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

So been a little but since an update. Finally pulled the shaft out of the front. Sheered it right off. Will probably just throw another stock shaft in but have been looking at chromos so we'll see what money allows and when. Still need to fix the brakes. Going to do a 3500 master cylinder swap and that should get my pedal a little harder. Also since my brother has to drive it while he's back in town I picked up some 17s. Still waiting on the forth.. Oh yeah and they came with 40s lol I'll probably throw them on for a photo or 2 but then will be breaking them down to put my old 35" ATs on so it will be a little better on the road. Other then that probably not going to do too much to the Jeep for a little while. Need to recoup a little plus gonna get some work done to the truck.

IMG_6395_zpsc78d7bb1.jpg

IMG_6380_zps2a295853.jpg

Did the Dodge 3500 Master Cylinder swap today. Didn't take long at all. Other then making a longer push rod and bending some lines bolted right up. I do think I made my new push rod a little short. bought a 1/4x28 2" bolt, cut the head off and rounded it down. Will probably make another a little bit longer. The pedal is hard but is lower then It should be. I think a longer push rod will bring it up a little. I'll also probably make some new lines to the proportioning valve to make it look a little better. The reservoir fits but is really tight. Will see if I can use my old reservoir that is angled for the hood for a better fitment. So far so good. She stops a lot better now so I'm happy.

IMG_6416_zpsf8a0281b.jpg