My XJ's Big Boy Stage

Got the runflats trimmed down. Not as much as Id want but only had a portaband to work with. Also got them back in the tires. Let me tell y'all even trimmed down was a pain in my ***! But got them in. now just need to finish painting the rims buy some BBs and throw them together! Should have the 44 geared tomorrow too. Starting up school again this week so the amount of free time will be reduced dramatically. But will try to get the axle under the Jeep sometime and it sitting on its own weight. Steering should come in this week also so hopefully this weekend we can get that set up so I can order the stuff for my track bar. Im not going to be able to use my old track bar because of the way it is curved. I could run a non offset TB mount but would run into my passenger side upper. Luckily a friend of mine had a piece of DOM laying around that will be the right size and just enough length I can cut and use for it. Just need a axle mount and heims.

IMG_5968_zps198d5ba7.jpg

IMG_5966_zps279ad015.jpg

So was setting up the gears today and kinda messed up.. Had everything ready to go and was ready to press the new bearings on the carrier and forgot to put the bearing preload shims in.. So will be taking the carrier up to get the bearings pulled the right way at the local 4x4 shop. Not a huge issue just a waste of time that I don't have. Also through the axle back under and installed the springs and got some weight on them and took an old piece of pipe laying around and drilled a hole in it to get an idea of where my track bar would lay so I can order my bracket tomorrow. The axle is pretty shifted without the track bar but. The pictures are kinda deceiving but everything should line back up when a track bar is in place.

IMG_5977_zpsb0852d34.jpg

IMG_5978_zps373b1d90.jpg

Ordered the rest of the stuff I need from Ruffstuff today. Will probably ship out tomorrow and be here before this weekend. Rear brackets came in today and the steering Friday. Will be getting the rest of the fab work done this weekend and all the bolt on the next then it will be Harlan time!!

A picture of the new rear brackets. Also on a non Jeep related side note. Got some new tires for the truck. Got a pretty good deal on them plus really needed tires especially since Im going to be towing up to Harlan.

IMG_6002_zps69b09ed0.jpg

IMG_5988_zps4dfe9be3.jpg

Got the rest of my stuff from ruffstuff except for my steering which will be here tomorrow. Going to the junk yard in the morning to try and find a few things. Also going to drill out the track bar mounts to 5/8s for the new heims. Going to try and get the rest of the work done this weekend atleast for any fabbing and welding. Also weighed out the BBs for my tires today. Couldn't get hold of a digital scare so had to barrow some antique scales from my grandma haha Hey it got it done and Id say they are all ~13oz. We'll see how it works out when I get them on.

IMG_6023_zps3017b2d4.jpg

IMG_6020_zpsd4399e22.jpg

Got 2 of the wheels mounted today.. In attempt to mounting the other 2 I broke three studs so will be pulling those 3 from my factory H1 rims. Held up the track bar mount to see if it would actually work... Well it will but not with my upper mount. SOOO because I can't afford another one right now or before Harlan I will be cutting and re welding my upper mount to work. This will be just a temporary fix till I get some more time to install some front frame stiffeners and a fully weld on bracket. The frame side TB mount I have now from TnT is too offset forward and will cause the TB to bind under articulation. Should be getting that done along with most of the rear axle stuff. Steering came in this evening.. Was on my doorstep as I pulled up from work. Big shout out to Ruffstuff for changing up the kit I ordered for me. Since I already had 1-ton steering and by all means did NOT want to re drill the pitman arm they were able to swap a heim for a drag link end so that it will work with my pitman arm.

IMG_6030_zps578bf910.jpg

IMG_6041_zps576b7ea9.jpg

IMG_6044_zps17894e67.jpg

IMG_6047_zpscdc39f16.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah eventually but I'll deal with that when it comes.. A buddy of mine has been running them for about a year now.. His is smooth as glass at 70 with no front driveshaft lol

Sent from my iPhone

Well pulled the plug on having the Jeep done before Harlan. Just not enough money and time. I've still got to buy front brakes, studs, ball joints and have enough money for the actual trip. Plus the only way I'd have it done is to take short cuts I really don't want to take. So I'll be taking this to slow down and make sure its done right. Also I got the springs compressed. Passenger side spring was perfect, Straight and aligned perfectly. Driver not so much, take it we triple checked our measurements and angles before burning in the mounts and had both of them at 0*. So I came the realization that the 3 link just wasn't going to work. So decided to fab up a mini truss/bridge to mount the driver side upper. That was the only way to mount it because it wouldn't really work on the pumpkin plus we didn't have the ability to weld the cast and wasn't about to spend more money to have something welded that I'd probably cut off anyway when I go to do my true 3 link.

IMG_6049_zps6c59e6cc.jpg

Alright well not much has been going on. Did finish up the HP44 today. Other then the track bar bracket all the welding has been finished. Also through my preload shims on the carrier, pressed the new bearing on and got the carrier in for the last time. Will probably get the axle under the Jeep for the last time tomorrow. Im going to wait till I get everything finished to do the track bar. Because my TnT frame side track bar mount is too far offset Im going to get everything set up and then work that out. May have to buy a new frame mount or if I have the money may just order some front frame stiffeners and do a weld on mount. Still not sure.

IMG_6081_zps26ba8e7f.jpg

Ball joints have been ordered! Will still be going to harlan but not in my Jeep. Will be helping out a friend and trailering his up there. Kinda happy it worked out this way because I want to get a look at Harlan before I take my Jeep up there. Plus with all this work going into the Jeep I'd like to take it to Gulches on its first trip. I know that park a lot better and will be able to give it a proper shake down there and be close enough that it won't be that big of a deal if I break it on the first trail god forbid it happen. Now will be planning to make the NAXJA event up at Harlan in July so will be good to get out there this weekend and get a feel for it without actually bashing my Jeep so I know if I need to make any adjustments before July.

Just got back from Harlan. really glad I didn't rush and take my Jeep. It wouldn't have made it up some of the trails out there. But I am glad I went to get a look at it so I can prepare the Jeep for it. Towed my buddy's 5.9L ZJ up there. The Truck towed great but the transmission I don't think made it. Barely got it home and now even with no load 2nd gear slips pretty bad. So will be taking it to a tranny shop tomorrow to see what my options are. Need to get the Jeep done even more now so I have something else to drive. We'll see what happens and will keep y'all updated.

IMG_6103_zpsd054bcef.jpg

IMG_0390_zps696a6013.jpg

IMG_0428_zps9e126613.jpg

IMG_0433_zps323bd9a4.jpg

IMG_0449_zpsedd592ea.jpg

IMG_0649_zps1a2f040f.jpg

IMG_0703_zps021e0e87.jpg

IMG_0706_zps3c1784f5.jpg

IMG_0711_zpsd5a56c6a.jpg

IMG_0743_zps131191ca.jpg