March 22-24 MCJ on the Georgia Traverse

So my plan is to rendezvous in Suches, GA and then hit a trail right outside the town that will link us to the Georgia Traverse. This trail will require 4wd. I haven't been on it personally, but there are plenty of reports of full size vehicles doing it, as well as New style cherokees. SO i think we should be ok even with trailers. It should be interesting.

If we leave at 8:00AM from Bill and Frans we could meet in Suches with anyone coming from another location at 11:30. If it rains the week before, or they are calling for rain this weekend we may forgo this trail and head on to the traverse. We will then do the Big frog wilderness loop the remainder of the day friday and camp Friday night on that loop.

This leaves saturday for us to cover a majority of the trek accross and we will hopefully camp near Charlies Creek area or as far as Burrells Ford, but I dont think we will make it that far.

I updated the first post with the people that have spoken up. I'm limiting the number to 11 vehicles. So we will be able to add vehicles if any of these drop out.

updated first post with people that could leave Thursday afternoon/evening. Please Post up if you can leave Thursday so I can update the list.

I just haven't heard from Scott, Rick, Chris, and Bill about leaving Thursday night. I think we may have a group leave thursday night if the weather looks to cooperate that weekend. And we can stay at Hawk Mountain that night, or if the weather isnt looking good, we can stay somewhere closer to the Georgia Traverse route.

I'll post a proposed address and GPS coordinates to where we would plan to meet that night if we decide to do that.

I'm going to be out for this unfortunately. Parents are moving to Locust Grove, GA that weekend and the weekend before. Since I am close I'll be moving boxes.

I just haven't heard from Scott, Rick, Chris, and Bill about leaving Thursday night. I think we may have a group leave thursday night if the weather looks to cooperate that weekend. And we can stay at Hawk Mountain that night, or if the weather isnt looking good, we can stay somewhere closer to the Georgia Traverse route.

I'll post a proposed address and GPS coordinates to where we would plan to meet that night if we decide to do that.
We could leave that night but not sure what time we would be able to leave and I need to check with our friends. I don’t want to leave them.

Its no worries if you guys need to come up later that thursday night. I can give an address and coordinates. We would be in GA for the start Friday morning though, which would help significantly.

Flatlands Road FSR256 shows closed to the public now on the Forest Service Website.
1551801329205.png
1551801349554.png
1551805498632.png
That is one of the trails I was planning to include in our route.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to call, it looks like this website may not be up to date. It doesn't match the MVUM, but it is supposedly the Current Forest Road Closures.

This FS Map shows Hawk Mountain Road FS42A is closed also.
1551812216805.png
1551812383225.png