Joined the RedTJ club... Kinda

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Well here we go again... so much for being "done".

I sold the Samurai on Saturday. Now that this is my one and only wheeling rig (had to have a back seat for the babies) I'm going to make it a little more capable and a little safer. I have to prioritize my next mods.

-wheels/tires: 17" beadlocks and 285/75/r17 trail grapplers?
-add on sport cage: btf kit?
-rear corner armor: use the steel full armor I have or go aluminum?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Trail Grapplers are really heavy tires just FYI.
I looked them up in that size and they were only 1 lb heavier than KM2s, which were the only 2 options in that size.

Edit: maybe I pulled up 315/75/17 km2. Looks like the nitto are 6 lbs heavier.

Last edited:
Trail Grapplers are stupid heavy. Beadlocks are a waste of money/weight/aggravation on your jeep as is a 285/75r17 tire. Do what damn jared did and get a stock jk takeoff wheel with some adapters and run a 35x12.50r17.The wheels are stupid cheap, fairly tough, and crazy plentiful.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Do what damn jared did and get a stock jk takeoff wheel with some adapters and run a 35x12.50r17.The wheels are stupid cheap, fairly tough, and crazy plentiful.
I have a set of jk moabs, but Jackie cracked one on hers a few weeks ago. It surprised me how fragile they are.

Why do you say the tire size is a waste? I'm not changing the height and I'm not reducing the travel (more bumpstop), so I think the 34x11.5 (ish) would be perfect.

Last edited:
Trail Grapplers are stupid heavy. Beadlocks are a waste of money/weight/aggravation on your jeep as is a 285/75r17 tire. Do what damn jared did and get a stock jk takeoff wheel with some adapters and run a 35x12.50r17.The wheels are stupid cheap, fairly tough, and crazy plentiful.
There is nothing wrong with running bead locks on the road as long as they are not the weld on type. I will be changing to 6 lug outers this summer with another set of trail ready or allied. As for the trail grapplers they ride awesome and I couldn't really tell a difference in them and the MTRS that where on it as far as weight and power loss with mine only having factory gears. I will probably be changing my gears to 5.13 buy summer time.

I have a set of jk moabs, but Jackie cracked one on hers a few weeks ago. It surprised me how fragile they are.

Why do you say the tire size is a waste? I'm not changing the height and I'm not reducing the travel (more bumpstop), so I think the 34x11.5 (ish) would be perfect.
Because thats what I run and they are a waste. They are more expensive than a 35 and only come in a Load range E so they are heave and stiff and dont ride that great. To get any kind of ride quality i have to run 28-30 psi on the road. Dont know who jackie is, but i beat the brakes off the wheels on my 2011 and never had a failure. Deep gouges and scratches but no bead failure and no cracking.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I might try to find a 35 to bolt up and see if it clears. Jackie is a MCJ member with a mostly stock 2 door JK that broke a bead I think at the flats.

I have 5 of these wheels sans tires in the garage calling your name lol

7t5FUKr.jpg
Those are what I need on mine. The rims I bought because the price was right, but I didn't even thing about the backspacing. Now my steering is jacked up and it is crazy wide. Factory jeep wheels would narrow me up by a little over 3 inches.

I might try to find a 35 to bolt up and see if it clears. Jackie is a MCJ member with a mostly stock 2 door JK that broke a bead I think at the flats.
Only time ive ever lost a bead was in my 4runner at 35psi. It was total driver error and lead footedness.
If it is a stock JK it was probably more the shitball tire than it was the rim. I put a lot of trail miles on my 2011 at under 10 psi and never lost a bead.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I thought it was worse, but I just found the picture. It did break the wheel, but doesn't look like it was an instant flat. But, you might have me convinced to run the moabs. $100 bucks for adapters is a lot nicer than buying new wheels. And it keeps the stockish sleeper look to it.
FB_IMG_1456783012438_zpsrza54cbf.jpg

Also left off gas tank skid from my list...

I've thought about making the same change to go bigger as my Jeep has the same lift as Larry's. I'm pretty happy with my E rated 285-16s, but even at 10 psi they bulge very little with the weight of a TJ sitting on them.

I thought it was worse, but I just found the picture. It did break the wheel, but doesn't look like it was an instant flat. But, you might have me convinced to run the moabs. $100 bucks for adapters is a lot nicer than buying new wheels. And it keeps the stockish sleeper look to it.
FB_IMG_1456783012438_zpsrza54cbf.jpg

Also left off gas tank skid from my list...
Hey that was my stock wheel after a quick go on the flats. Didn't break the bead, and I drove on that for 2 weeks. Broken beads with mud (HRD) and old tree root (Windrock). Still need to take these Maxxis off-road and see how they handle [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk