Guzzy Build

Got the motor freshened up and installed Saturday.
  • Front input seal on transmission - still dry, leak was undoubtedly coming from the motor.
  • Rear Main Seal - installed
  • Front Main Seal - replaced the seal, and installed the new harmonic balancer that I had put on my old 4.0.
  • Valve Cover gasket - Installed
  • Oil Pan Gasket - installed
  • Pilot bearing - installed as this one was from an automatic.
Motor runs good with no noise.

Sunday I put on new rear shock mounts on the axle, as when I rotated my pinion angle down to account for the longer driveshaft it made my mounts to high and caused it to bottom out before the bumpstops hit. Also welded on the new axle tie down brackets on the rear axle. Still need to do the fronts.

Drove it to Batesburg yesterday and @Twilliamson helped me put in my GMRS radio and run the cable. Put some miles on it and it seems to be doing well.

Did you look at the old block and see if there are any cracks in it from that leak you had? Now that it blew up i am curious if maybe there was a crack in the block

Did you look at the old block and see if there are any cracks in it from that leak you had? Now that it blew up i am curious if maybe there was a crack in the block
no obvious cracks in the block, would need to tear it all the way down to see why it let go. but Rod number 6 broke. Spark plug in cylinder 6 was dry, so it wasnt hydro locked from fuel or coolant or something.

Did a full rear nut/bolt check, need to do the front still. No leaks and its still running and sounding good. Drives better now that I fixed the rear coil and shock mounts. When i stretched the wheelbase it improved my required pinion angle, so I had to rotate it down. That caused the coil buckets and shock mounts to not be aligned properly. I moved the coil bucket a bit and rotated the shock mounts down an inch and now I'm getting full uptravel without bottoming the shocks out.

Full teardown and grease on the front 6 Johnny Joints, also greased my all the steering and driveshaft zerks. Wow what a difference some fresh grease makes on the joints. It actually improved the ride quality having them well lubed. I had always greased them from the zerk, but I dont think that really gets it in all the nooks.

Anyone know what the correct grease for Johnny joints is? some sort of moly or teflon? I used red and tacky like I always have, but I can tear them all down pretty easily now that I have the tool if needed in the future to replace with something else.

DF1E2EE7-9215-4899-9D27-6957F41153F7.jpeg

Well, to say the TJ met my expectations would be an understatement. This thing freaking took everything I pointed it at when we were at moab. The wheelbase was a godsend on the obstacles when it started to get steep. Its going to take some getting used to in keeping my eye on that back tire when coming around tight corners. I look forward to how it handles out here on the east coast. For some more pics of our trip out west check here: https://offroadsc.com/threads/offroadsc-goes-west-2020.6549/

7D002FB8-C411-471D-A834-F9C40B7963EB.jpeg
1790BA0C-190B-4071-A4E2-FADBDBF7F723.jpeg
16308D66-9E1B-4D20-B01B-234F6CF3E038.jpeg
43F43549-B91D-45FF-AF90-6D362DE9C046.jpeg
D59503E5-2CF3-450B-8D0D-1AB2DEC8B4CF.jpeg
6B70132E-A2B8-4EA0-81D5-97FF2A291C36.jpeg
E28A169D-D056-4E56-B093-810C660DAFAB.jpeg
05F382DE-F0FB-4ACB-9A99-78CDEF3020D0.jpeg
8B7254C6-DE5A-429D-B4F7-4B95B3326105.jpeg
405EB4FF-DCBA-4AF3-98BB-3DBE3351DE51.jpeg

been using the jeep for the past few months to access some property we just bought. Its been a muddy mess, so it was nice having somethign that could get dirty wherever. I have been noticing a clunk coming from the front end and after some time under it grabbing stuff i found that my hiems on the steering ram are worn and its causing a clunk sound, when hitting bumps. Snagged a pair of replacements today when I was ordering a new exhaust manifold from summit.

7A38D264-968E-485E-BFFA-2F48DD2ECE76.jpeg

So during the swap I botched my steering shaft to tub seal, it was crumbling. I figured it wouldn't be hard to find one, but I havent been able to find a new one. The local jeep part outs dont have any or sell them with the steering shaft. Anyone know of a universal seal that would work for this application?

its this part, but i think its two piece, and this is only half of it that comes with a new upper steering shaft.
1611075685220.png

Only seal i ahve every seen for columns is like a small triangle one for the flange to the tub, or older ones have something kind of like that. You have a picture of what it should look like on the tub?

I am curious if one from a Liberty would work. I am not sure how much cross over there is, but for little parts like that they may be the same. There are a bunch of liberties at PullAPart now