• Welcome to the New OffroadSC - We have successfully migrated to our new Non-Profit Servers. Our team has been working hard to make this migration as smooth as possible. If you experience any issues, please let us know via the Housekeeping > Technical Problems Section.

Guzzy Build

Got the motor freshened up and installed Saturday.
  • Front input seal on transmission - still dry, leak was undoubtedly coming from the motor.
  • Rear Main Seal - installed
  • Front Main Seal - replaced the seal, and installed the new harmonic balancer that I had put on my old 4.0.
  • Valve Cover gasket - Installed
  • Oil Pan Gasket - installed
  • Pilot bearing - installed as this one was from an automatic.
Motor runs good with no noise.

Sunday I put on new rear shock mounts on the axle, as when I rotated my pinion angle down to account for the longer driveshaft it made my mounts to high and caused it to bottom out before the bumpstops hit. Also welded on the new axle tie down brackets on the rear axle. Still need to do the fronts.

Drove it to Batesburg yesterday and @Twilliamson helped me put in my GMRS radio and run the cable. Put some miles on it and it seems to be doing well.

Did you look at the old block and see if there are any cracks in it from that leak you had? Now that it blew up i am curious if maybe there was a crack in the block

Did you look at the old block and see if there are any cracks in it from that leak you had? Now that it blew up i am curious if maybe there was a crack in the block
no obvious cracks in the block, would need to tear it all the way down to see why it let go. but Rod number 6 broke. Spark plug in cylinder 6 was dry, so it wasnt hydro locked from fuel or coolant or something.

Did a full rear nut/bolt check, need to do the front still. No leaks and its still running and sounding good. Drives better now that I fixed the rear coil and shock mounts. When i stretched the wheelbase it improved my required pinion angle, so I had to rotate it down. That caused the coil buckets and shock mounts to not be aligned properly. I moved the coil bucket a bit and rotated the shock mounts down an inch and now I'm getting full uptravel without bottoming the shocks out.

Full teardown and grease on the front 6 Johnny Joints, also greased my all the steering and driveshaft zerks. Wow what a difference some fresh grease makes on the joints. It actually improved the ride quality having them well lubed. I had always greased them from the zerk, but I dont think that really gets it in all the nooks.

Anyone know what the correct grease for Johnny joints is? some sort of moly or teflon? I used red and tacky like I always have, but I can tear them all down pretty easily now that I have the tool if needed in the future to replace with something else.

DF1E2EE7-9215-4899-9D27-6957F41153F7.jpeg