Guzzy Build

my lockright springs and pins looked fine when I took it apart, but i replaced the pins and springs anyway. Boy this thing is a new animal now. Its so quiet and well mannered. I can run it in 2wd and barely notice it now. Before it was like an angry badger was in my front diff banging wrenches around trying to get out when I turned in a parking lot.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
my lockright springs and pins looked fine when I took it apart, but i replaced the pins and springs anyway. Boy this thing is a new animal now. Its so quiet and well mannered. I can run it in 2wd and barely notice it now. Before it was like an angry badger was in my front diff banging wrenches around trying to get out when I turned in a parking lot.
Are you sure that wasn't pieces of ring gear?

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Don't you normally unlock the front hubs? Why would the front diff be making any noise? Or was that just an observation during testing?

Don't you normally unlock the front hubs? Why would the front diff be making any noise? Or was that just an observation during testing?
For the last few years when I had the hubs locked and I was in 2wd it was super noisy. After the new gears in the front I ran it for a few days with the hubs locked to break them in. and the locker is REALLY quiet.

Replaced plugs, wires, cap, and rotor last friday before the backroads trip and it really woke up my tired motor. I had changed them sometime around 100k miles from what I remember. It really helped with low RPM lugging.

on that note, I used the advance auto 40% off coupon online and bought the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor for ~$40. Can't beat that deal.

Replaced plugs, wires, cap, and rotor last friday before the backroads trip and it really woke up my tired motor. I had changed them sometime around 100k miles from what I remember. It really helped with low RPM lugging.

on that note, I used the advance auto 40% off coupon online and bought the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor for ~$40. Can't beat that deal.
Rockauto will usually smoke their prices even with coupon

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I checked rock auto, but it was a last minute decision to do the tune up. it within a few bucks and I didnt have to ship it.

I'm at 202### right now.

Just got in my coilover Rebuild kits, and my new crossover rings. I bought my coilovers used from Kirby, and he had cut off the crossover rings for some reason. Adding these should help stiffen up the front some close to full bump, as right now it rides on the lighter spring most of the time.

Now I just have to find time to pull the coilovers out...

I think I finally found and fixed my clunk that started at OSCAR this year. After rebuilding control arms and the front axle, I found that the bushing at the tcase was just worn enough that it was letting my tcase rock into the skid. I stopped by CFS in Columbia and picked up a new bushing and the problem seems to be fixed. I'll know for sure when I get it off pavement next time.

I wish I had documented the proecess better, but now after driving the jeep on the interstate a few times I can confirm that clocking the pitman arm and centering my steering wheel tightened up the steering on my jeep better than it has ever been since the d44 swap. It steers fully both ways and has no dead spot in the middle where the box had some play. I had talked to PSC a few years back and they told me that the saginaw boxes are tightest when the steering wheel is centered, its in the design of how it works. So if your steering wheel is off center while driving straight down the road you will have extra play in the system. I'm really happy I finally did this, thanks to all of you at the work day that helped me with it.

If anyone is looking to do it on their jeep, I used a hacksaw to cut our material down to the spline depth and a narrow triangle file to make it match the other splines. When I was done you could not tell that the arm originally had 4 double splines.

been a while since I updated this thread, after the Uwharrie trip in December the TJ decided to start leaking at the sector shaft in the steering box and it leaked out most of its fluid over a 2 week period of sitting during the holidays. I called up PSC and talked to them about a rebuild, and I sent it off to them and requested the stiffer torsion bar that savvy had used in his PSC kits that he sold. I got it in last week and put it in this weekend, boy howdy. It now drives better than it ever has. The steering is firm and no wondering up to 80. If anyone ever gets their box rebuilt at PSC and you drive your jeep on the road a lot, I would highly recommend it. For offroad only, I don't see it as an advantage because it is just a firmer feel and not as loose to turn. We will see how it does long term.

Sold my old km2s and picked up a fresh set from the guys at Clemson 4 Wheel Center. Now I'm doing my once every 8 year wheel polishing session.

24 bolts each
74d71db87a21b9525c450fcc218b1ccc.jpg

Forgot to take a before of the wheels but you can see the difference in the one ring I have finished.
0e9627c9fe43b457fe7a092d9c375491.jpg

Been looking forward to these for a while
03ecc604a252542ec832a73177342207.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk