Thread: 1958 Land Rover Series 1

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC

1958 Land Rover Series 1

The old build got lost in the offroadsc.com great data loss.

I will jsut continue on what i am doing now

I had a chance today between Thanksgiving food prep to finally move the front axle back.

The tire axle and tire were a little far forward. Not that noticeable but it was just a touch off, and my front shackle angle was not where i liked it.
    I the front mount back 2 inches and everything fell into place. I threw it back together and put the windshield on to just let me look at it and give me a little sense that I might actually get it running soon.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Well I got the last of the big things of the project procurred.

I originally had a lead on a rear FJ40 axle and was going to get that, but the seller had another set of complete axles and I grabbed them.
    They are from a 1979 FJ40 so i lucked out and also got the disc braked version. The thing i have never seen before was the rear drums have two wheel cylinders. I have never seen that before.

The reason i am using these instead of the Land Rover axles are due to parts availability and there is alot more aftermarket support for the axles. I do need to find a set of wheels for it now. :(

City
    Chapin
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by DanStew View Post
    Well I got the last of the big things of the project procurred.

I originally had a lead on a rear FJ40 axle and was going to get that, but the seller had another set of complete axles and I grabbed them.
    They are from a 1979 FJ40 so i lucked out and also got the disc braked version. The thing i have never seen before was the rear drums have two wheel cylinders. I have never seen that before.

The reason i am using these instead of the Land Rover axles are due to parts availability and there is alot more aftermarket support for the axles. I do need to find a set of wheels for it now. :(
    they look incredibly clean. Have they been sandblasted?
    --Brooks

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Possibly. They came out of a Land Cruiser that was being upgraded to 1 tons. The cruiser is what Chris Durham drove in UA 2015. The guy i got it from was real nice and had tons of Cruiser stuff. I was in paradise :)

City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    Quote Originally Posted by DanStew View Post
    Possibly. They came out of a Land Cruiser that was being upgraded to 1 tons. The cruiser is what Chris Durham drove in UA 2015. The guy i got it from was real nice and had tons of Cruiser stuff. I was in paradise :)
    Bearded guy? Think I remember meeting him at hush hole maybe a long time ago when we went out there.

Rover looks great man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    [QUOTE=Steve97tj;74003]Bearded guy? Think I remember meeting him at hush hole maybe a long time ago when we went out there.

He was clean cut , but i guess could have had a beard at some point. Real nice guy

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Well this evening i had a pretty good time in the garage.
    The time change has had me not wanting to go out and work in the garage and just didnt have much motivation.
    I wanted to get the bulkhead in place and finished so i had to bolt everything on the rear bed to the bulkhead in place. Previously i just had the bolts lightly holding things together. I had an issue with my drivers door being off and i needed to adjust the bulkhead. After playing with it, i need to move the bottom back about 1/4 inch. I cut the outrigger mount off again and moved it. After some more fitting the driver door fit excellent and the gaps match.

After that I decided that I needed to address the grill. I got new headlight buckets in a few weeks ago.
    So i installed the new buckets and at the same time i cut off the fan shroud so i can gain more room in the engine bay for a radiator.

Headlights and cut down grill

Room for radiator

Before

After the trim

I will start on the steering and then work on making new pedals for the clutch and brake.
    Glad I finally go some motivation

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Well broke out Ole' Blue today. I made the sheetmetal brake about 10 years ago. Still working even though it sits under the shelf most of the time

It is time to make the fuel tank. Since a new one is hard to find in England, I dont think i can go to Autozone to get one off the shelf. Fortunately it is pretty much a box.

Ole' Blue

Bendy Bendy

I had some old Tech cabinet side panels, i had to cut this out with cutoff wheels since the Plasma blew up :(
    I will cut out the side pieces tomorrow an keep at it. I hope this will be a bit easier to seal than my last attempt at a gas tank. I was using flux core wire and kept burning through. I need to research universal fuel line inlets and see if i can match the ohms on the Rover fuel gauge with an aftermarket sending unit.