Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: What did you do to your rig Today? V2.0

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    Well my plasma cutter released all of its magic smoke today. :(

I was cutting away and then i heard really loud arcing sounds coming from the machine, a loud pop, smoke pouring out like a fog machine. It was the most interesting and saddest sight i have seen, I tried to get video but i had to run and trip the breaker so i didnt really go nuclear. So I am left with no more plasma cutter and I am sad.

Alot of things were burned, and one of the large main caps ruptured like it was Mt. St Helens.

Now to mope around for the rest of the afternoon

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    I have had a couple do that. No more cheap Chinese cutters for me. Now I am saving for a hypertherm.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    This one has done what i needed. If i used it daily or for alot more fab work, i would go better, but I used it recently, and before that it was a year or so. Not in a hurry to replace it just yet.

SUPPORTER
    City
    Greenville
    State
    SC
    I have a Chinese 30 amp that is the same. Well technically Robbie has it, but it just keeps cutting. My other cutter was supposed to be much better and it broke after 6 months. My next one will be hypertherm because the one at the shop just keeps going. The consumables are crazy expensive though.

City
    Beech Island
    State
    SC
    I wonder if it might be part of that huge counterfeit capacitor issue about 12 years ago with the faulty electrolyte fluid. I know that plagued a lot of computers and small electronics. I don't think it is too far fetched that the manufacturer would have done the same with their larger products.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
    I will tell you, those capacitor bulges look exactly like the ones on the 1500 or so Dell MoBos I replaced.

City
    Lexington
    State
    SC
    At my old TV station in Florida we had a crap load of those mother boards with blown caps. We would replace the boards, and my one buddy would just sit there and replace the caps and he would build new computers from the motherboards :)

City
    Beech Island
    State
    SC
    I think that cost Dell somewhere around 300 million.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

City
    Leesville
    State
    SC
    So, Either the caps dried up and stressed the Fets or the Fets Shorted and cooked the Caps....Shes fucked beyond reasonable repairs, that concludes todays Failure Analysis.

I have a new friend in a Fab shop with a 8x12 or something huge plasma table, i have a new respect for torch voltage....I had to rebuild his controller...I now have access to it anytime i need it :)
    Look at the Word Differently - In a World of Talkers, be a thinker and a doer.

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950