What did you do to your rig Today? V2.0

For giggles I put the JK up on a ramp tonight to see how much clearance I have with the sway bar disconnected. With the 33s on stock 18" wheels it rubs......a lot. With not much in the way of steering lock. I do have a set of 1 1/2" spacers I could use but even then I can see it rubbing more than I'm comfortable with. With Uwharrie coming up I'd like to think pulling the links would make for a better time.
Sounds like you need to add bump stops long enough to get all the travel you can without rubbing. Having the sway bar disconnected makes for a more comfortable ride offroad, you get rid of a lot of side-to-side motion of the cab....and you'll have a better time and make it over more obstacles that you are used to.

That was my first thought. Thanks for the clarification. The other and possibly bigger issue is rubbing the sway bar. Looking at quick disconnects, it seems implausible that a metal stud sitting in the end of the bar won't pop a tire, even with the bar level. I'm going to throw a spacer on the next chance I get to see if it'll clear the end link a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel spacers. I ran 35s with about an inch of lift on my 11. No issues in the front aside rubbing plastic...and that's ok. Finally trimmed fenders because I kept ripping the rear flares off.

Sounds like you need to add bump stops long enough to get all the travel you can without rubbing. Having the sway bar disconnected makes for a more comfortable ride offroad, you get rid of a lot of side-to-side motion of the cab....and you'll have a better time and make it over more obstacles that you are used to.
Isn't the rule of thumb to usually add 1/2" of bump stop to every 1" of lift you add? Or does it vary depending?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Frank lives!
20151206_161703_zpsax3zhwsf.jpg
Aired up the tires (the bead doesn't seal on 3), jumped it, ran around the yard, then parked it with posts under the frame so the weight won't sit on flat tires.

Got my front locker installed yesterday, would have been nice to have Saturday, but at least it's ready for uwharre

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
He is waiting for the mosquitoes to come out so he can fog them out with Frank :)
Did a nice long burnout across the concrete pad. I wish I would've snapped a picture of the smoke cloud, but most of it was oil not tire...

I keeps throwing the power steering belt off, but it steers easier with the ps box with no belt than it did with the manual box...

I need to pull the bracket off and see if i can make it adjustable. You can look at it and see why it doesn't stay on...

Did a nice long burnout across the concrete pad. I wish I would've snapped a picture of the smoke cloud, but most of it was oil not tire...

I keeps throwing the power steering belt off, but it steers easier with the ps box with no belt than it did with the manual box...

Got the rear suspension fixed up on the 4Runner. Now it doesn't wiggle all over the place and bottom out every 2 seconds. Oh and sits level. That is super nice.

23218471719_0d576fa5b6.jpg 2015-12-07_09-41-41 by Max Thomason, on Flickr

Fixed up the headlight assembly. It was pointing downward and couldn't see anything. Also put in fancy light bulbs. A lot better.

23504020321_4557d18396.jpg 2015-12-07_09-42-44 by Max Thomason, on Flickr

Lastly, I think these are the original spark plugs that came in the truck...wires, cap, and rotor all look pretty rough.

22959353233_ef0f2fe76a.jpg 2015-12-07_09-42-12 by Max Thomason, on Flickr

Overall the truck is getting better each week. Should be a good one soon. I guess the super weird part is taking the rover to the auto parts store...to get parts for the Toyota.

I was able to get the mud/dust cleaned out of the JK today and hardtop put back on. Thought I'd made it out of big creek with just some dings and a bent crossmember but somewhere in that fun I rolled the lip of the cover on the rear d44. Didn't notice it leaking for all the mud on it. Unfortunately there was a cup or so worth of fluid left in there, so the LSD won't be getting replaced with a locker anytime soon. A cast iron Teraflex cover is on the way that should sit flush with the housing and cure that issue next time.

Last edited: