well i think the time has come to throw in the towel....

Status
Not open for further replies.
After countless times of telling myself i wouldnt sell out on it, i think it's time to part ways with my TJ project. It's been apart more in the past few years then driving and i've come to realize now that at this rate, i'm not going to be driving it before my first born graduates high school. I've missed to many opportunities to wheel to try and work on my jeep instead and have little progress to show. It's been a year since i cut my frame off and i've still yet to actually finish the rear frame. I thought once i started working full time i'd have the funds and time to throw more at the jeep but that's been the opposite. I bit off a little more then i was expecting to chew and working all week, it's kind of hard to talk yourself into working on the jeep. Within this coming year i will be getting engaged and married and then probably moving off with Melissa wherever she decides to take a job for a few years (somewhere in SE, Atlanta, charlotte and knoxville are in the runnings) which leaves little money or time to have a project that wouldnt get used as much as i'd want.

My plan will be to sell the drivetrain and most all parts (axles and suspension) i have for it and hold onto frame and tub for a rainy day, atleast for now. I'd like to pick up a 99-02 sahara 5spd with hard doors and throw my 33 duratracs on it and a few other parts i have and just drive it and upgrade as necessary. I've been shopping for a smaller tire for my truck to pick up a few MPG (guys with 255's claim over 18, i currently get 15ish on wide 33s)

So let the haters hate.

I can't help but say I saw this coming. What rear axle did you have for it? I have been wanting to get one for my TJ so that I could atleast do a locker in the rear at some point. You know, when I go back to work or whatever and have no time to put it in but the money to afford doing so.

I've got a 8.8 with 5.13s and install for it.

I've got a 44 for front with 5.13s mini spool chromos mile marker and warn hubs. 5 and 6 lug stuff and flat tops that haven't been milled.

Ill probably try and sell the front and rear axles together with suspension and brackets all together for a package deal.

What are the stock gears in the 8.8? I don't really want to re-gear what I have. With the auto and 33's it's already at 2K or better on the hwy. Don't need anymore gear. This thing will be a mall crawler all of it's life. I like it lookin pretty. I have the buggy to beat on. Although, I do want to take the Jeep on some camping trips in the future. I hate I missed the trip this weekend with Jimbo.

That's a bummer Steve. But understandable. Still hope to see you on trips.
Well i'm hoping to be making more trips, just actually wheeling my own rig, and taking plenty of bypasses. I've been talking to Jim alot about it, and I'd like to have something like yall both have, a simple wheeler that will drive me there and back. My TJ wasn't that bad to drive when it was on short arms and bald 35s, thats what i'm trying to eventually get to. I should have just fixed the little things with it and i'd still be driving it, 3 years later i'm still jeepless. I have enough parts laying around i could easily bolt on and keep me occupied.

Brooks, not looking to getting rid of the frame and tub now. Still has sentimental value to me and i can store them both up in my barn without tripping over them. I have plans for an ultimate TJ that i'd like to build later down the road.

Matt, not sure of gears but i'm thinking they are 3.5 somethings, i know they aren't 3.73 or 4.10. Didnt come with LSD.

01tj

Terrible. Like I said earlier just don't get away from the sport. I've seen that happen to many times.

hate to hear it come to this. I still dont understand why you can just throw it together how it is? I mean with 3 guys we could have it running and driving in a weekend.

Just fed up with it and no time to deal with it. I live an hour and half from it now, and have for past 3 1/2 years with weekends to work on it. Although i like to try and think i can spend all weekend working on it, I have other things that i have to do that keep me from that. Girlfriends are expensive, but long distance girlfriends cost a lot more. I had a grand saved up to go in the Jeep a few months ago that went into a plane ticket and visit.

I ain't going anywhere, if anything i'll plan on getting to actually wheel. I was talking to marcus earlier and instead of building in stages, i kind of jumped the gun. I've got some dough saved up for a new ride that i'll throw at a clean TJ and keep it basic, simple and clean. I can't justify having anything hardcore or not so roadworthy at this time. A decently driving Tacoma and a TJ on 33s will suite my needs perfectly...

Although i was talking to david today about just throwing long travel on the Taco.....none of you fawkers have one of those....bros love the long travel

You wouldn't consider selling the whole project would you? I've been having this crazy idea in the back of my head for the past 6 months that I should try and sell my ZJ and pick up a project TJ.

You wouldn't consider selling the whole project would you? I've been having this crazy idea in the back of my head for the past 6 months that I should try and sell my ZJ and pick up a project TJ.
Let me think about it. I really want to keep the frame and tub but....

I have a 130k 2.5l with a rebuilt ax5 with 5k miles on it maybe, and good working 231. I would like to sell the axles/suspension and all together. That would be front 44/8.8 with 5.13s, 4 lower control arms, 2 rear uppers, 1 front upper as well as all frame mounts, the axles just need trusses. I have tracbar brackets frame and axle and DOM for tracbar. Theres a lot more little things i have that i'd include with it.

Reading all that may make you think "man he's got a lot of stuff why doesn't he just throw it on and go?" I've had most of it all for well over a year and it's just not happening, time to do something with it and make some room. My dad and i have 3 tractors that need to be rebuilt as our father/son project, he's finally in the health after 3 years that it is a possibility and i'd rather spend my time home doing that honestly.

Sell all of it, two days later you won't miss it. Then keep your eye out for a TJ that someone has already set up and let them take the loss.
I swore that I would never sell one of my prior cars but it didn't fit my lifestyle after a few years. Sold it and bought the TJ and haven't missed it once. I do remenice but I don't miss it. Good memories.

I'm the same way with my land cruiser. Already bored with my tj, never get to wheel it and can very rarely justify putting any money into. Hell I about refuse to dump money in it. Hence why I have little to no interest in a 44 swap or any of that mess. Life catches up quick and responsibilities take over. With working a lot of weekends I find myself having a hard time dedicating my time I do have to cussing at a jeep in the woods. Maybe ill get a boat....

Kinda my thinking too Jimbo. Hard to justify throwing a lot of money and time into something now that I wouldn't have that much time to use anyways. Work is about to take a lot more of my time for awhile and besides maybe a weekend trip to gulches I can't commit to going wheeling any besides Oscar 2 at the moment, I may have some time to go somewhere but well see how that goes.

I'm ready to get back into a clean stock Tj again. I've had my Tj for 11 years and daily drove it for almost 6 of those. Just looking to get back into that instead of having a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.