Tires, your opinion

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
My plan is to upgrade the axles to some Dana 60s. Put a long arm suspension kit (still shopping vendors) and a 1" body kit. I will drive this Jeep to the trails. I love driving (I'm a car nut), so having a trailer rig is just not my thing. But I also love to thrash on it out in the woods. Not a big mud type of guy but find myself there every so often. I love the rocks. So rock crawling is the category that I would classify myself as. Road worthy rock crawler is what I'm after. It doesn't have to ride like a Cadillac. I know that it won't be the best driver on the road. I am fine with that. I'm a country boy from Ohio, I can deal with some discomfort. So far, the KM2's seem to be my choice. I really appreciate the input from everyone.

if your going to drive this thing and want an off the shelf kit get a clayton. they are very beefy and clayton is a pretty cool dude. talk to mtf84 on here, he has a daily driver rubi with a clayton kit and 35's and it is pretty dang capapble.

10 mud terrain tires were tested in the April 2011 issue of Four Wheeler Magazine. The tested size was 37/12.5/17.

Here are the ranked results:
  1. Hankook Dynapro MT
  2. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar
  3. Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ
  4. Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
  5. Yokohama Geolander M/T
  6. Pitbull Rocker LT Radial
  7. Interco Super Swamper TrXus
  8. BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
  9. Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrain
  10. Maxxis M8060 Trepador

I'm still a noob to this whole 4X4 thing, and I typically take anything a magazine prints with a grain of salt. It only seems logical, that since all ten tire companies are competing directly with each other for the same market share, that any one tire is comparable to the other. It all boils down to individual preference, and finding the best compromise to satisfy your specific needs.

if your going to drive this thing and want an off the shelf kit get a clayton. they are very beefy and clayton is a pretty cool dude. talk to mtf84 on here, he has a daily driver rubi with a clayton kit and 35's and it is pretty dang capapble.
but if your doing a clayton kit you can use Poly performance brackets and some johnny joints and make something cheaper thats better, and its just as easy to put on.

I am going to throw in Nokian Vattiva MT's as well. I dont know if they have a 37" though. They are Finnish tires, and, have gotten me through everything I have ever asked them to. If you dont know what terrain Finland has, check it out, it is the best of all environments, and these tires are meant to conquer them all. Clean out well, and have great tread life, almost 45000 miles on mine now, and they still have probably another 10,000 on them. They are quite when they are new, but get load as time goes on. Right now, they are pretty loud, but I expect that from a MT...Just my .02 :)

They are hard to find. Check out Tiresbyweb....

It boils down to to rubber compound plain and simple. That's something bfg has locked down with the red label. But there has to be some of that technology in the rest of the m/t line up. I'm a fan of the km2 and old style mud terrain. Unless your consistently mud boggin the pattern doesn't mean much. Have a buddy that just sold his jeep with 39 red labels that had zero, I mean wires showing all the way around and walks everything in Harlan in the rain. It's all about compound, those tires even slick make the rest of the group look stupid.
The only Maxxis I would consider would be a sticky trepador. Watched a set of dot creepys this past weekend in a 40 flat out get denied over and over. Some 39.5sx did better.
I've had Pitbulls and they were great, now that they have a 37 radial out I think that would be my choice in that size tire.
Another tire I've seen in action but don't think gets any credit is the pro comp x-terrain. They get damn sticky to be a dot tire and get good mileage.
It would be real hard for me not to pick a bfg period. Every other manufacturer is playing catch up.

I have seen the BFG KM2 and MTR Kevlar's in action and was impressed by both. In a 37" tire I think the tread pattern looks better on the MTR but looks don't make it go.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Yall may know this already. But if not, here's an FYI. The BFG Mud Terrain KM2's are on national back order. I just talked to a guy that just got his after waiting for 6 months.

Yall may know this already. But if not, here's an FYI. The BFG Mud Terrain KM2's are on national back order. I just talked to a guy that just got his after waiting for 6 months.
I was told the same thing when I was looking for set of 37s a few months back. Brandon at Rides of Conover was able to find me a set I could pick up the next day and also beat the pants off of anyone elses price. At the time he said there were a few other sets that he could get.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I found a set on ebay (5 new). Ordered last night. The company called this morning and he said that I'll have a tracking number today. Coming from Arizona. So far so good.