Offroad Teardrop

That's looking good!
I keep threatening the wife, that I'm gonna have one built. She's not worried, she says I can't change the oil, so there's no way I'm building something.

So, after driving it home 3.5 hours on sunday, the springs seem to have settled ALOT. once I added the battery to the back and put 150lbs on the front rack to represent a cooler, I'm looking at around 2" of clearance between the axle and frame. Which because of the soft springs it can blow through on a hard bump. I had planned to add a bumpstop to it, but there is no room currently.

The frame was originally at 20.5" when I picked it up. The springs have settled to around 17.5.

So I had a few options:
1. Spring over Axle (gives me 5" of lift....which I think is too much.)
2. cut off the spring perches and weld in a 2" spacer. (I had originally planned to have them do this, but it was decided during construction that we had enough height.)
3. buy 2.5" CJ lift springs for this application. (~$100)

So i bit the bullet last night and ordered a set of 2.5" lift springs. Hopefully this will put me right where I want to be without lifting it sky high with the spring over.

You ever consider a set of adjustable coil overload shocks?
That would give you the added stability with weight and let you tweak the height.
I do plan to add shocks, but I'm hoping these other springs solve my problems. Trying to keep it simple. One day it might get independent suspension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't try to tow anything over 2k with any jeep sporting the 42rle auto.
I towed my 3000# boat to the lake & back. Over the course of 6-8mo I fried 2 torque converters, and the second one caused damage enough to need new bearings, new solenoid pack, and valve body. The converter clutch media is like pouring sand in the transmission fluid!
On the up side, everything was clean & shined up when I cracked it open!

Sort of seemed fitting for this thread, now that we have muddied it up.
[video=youtube;VsSTNwCL-bY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsSTNwCL-bY[/video]

Sort of seemed fitting for this thread, now that we have muddied it up.
[video=youtube;VsSTNwCL-bY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsSTNwCL-bY[/video]
That axle was directly in the middle of the camper, they were asking for trouble. But I would think if it had brakes you could just apply the trailer brakes and let off the gas and straighten it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk