Moab 2013

What are your questions?
It would be awesome to go with a local group, but our luck will not work out that way, I am sure, and I keep hitting delays getting the XJ build finished.

Trying to determine achievable "mileage goals" for each day driving out, and suitable routes for either driving out, or towing. Our rough plan is to leave mid-day from SC, and get to Nashville for first stop, with a city with plenty of resources in the event we forgot something or a vehicle developed a problem coming out of the Appalachians.

Kansas City may be the next stop. No idea on the next stop, as we are trying to figure out if a detour to any trails in Colorado should be done on the way out, or the way back, or simply plan for the Moab area being the "home base" for possible trips elsewhere. In the event this is the only time we'll ever get to make this trip, we want to pack it full, I have the vacation time available.

Just trying to make the dream happen.

I just got back from Moab. Any later than right now I'd push the trip back till things start cooling down. It's perfect right now but still came home with a sun tan. You just can't escape the sun.

I went the northern route out, Nashville, St Louis, Kansas City, Denver, through the Rockies. If your towing do not go this route. I chose to mainly for the sake of seeing the Rockies and driving thru them. It's very stressful and would never consider it in a tow rig without an exhaust brake. I70 is te tallest interstate in the country at 11k+ft with about 16-17 miles of 7% down Eisenhower pass and Vail pass. It's also good for around 2mpg worse on fuel mileage.
I came home across 40, which I had seen before but was alot more tower friendly.
In a moderate rig you can't see all of Moab in a week. The trails seem to go forever, I picked up a book called back country guide to Moab. Get one its worth the $30. I camped at Canyon Lands camp ground which is a very nice place/ clean. It's downtown so you can walk around town at night or to dinner.
Sucks thinking back today last week I was wheeling out there. Do as much as possible, time flies and its an awsome place.

I just got back from Moab. Any later than right now I'd push the trip back till things start cooling down. It's perfect right now but still came home with a sun tan. You just can't escape the sun.
We have been out twice, once in mid-August and once in late July. Having spent a couple of years in A-stan, I had the family well-prepared. Late summer will be our only shot.

We have been out twice, once in mid-August and once in late July. Having spent a couple of years in A-stan, I had the family well-prepared. Late summer will be our only shot.
Oh ok, we'll I sure you could give all of us a few lessons on dealing with the heat from what I've heard of A-Stan. Next year I'm planning a Beuna Vista, Telluride, Holly Cross loop. Really wanting to see more of Co.

I went the northern route out, Nashville, St Louis, Kansas City, Denver, through the Rockies. If your towing do not go this route. I chose to mainly for the sake of seeing the Rockies and driving thru them. It's very stressful and would never consider it in a tow rig without an exhaust brake. I70 is te tallest interstate in the country at 11k+ft with about 16-17 miles of 7% down Eisenhower pass and Vail pass. It's also good for around 2mpg worse on fuel mileage.
I came home across 40, which I had seen before but was alot more tower friendly.
In a moderate rig you can't see all of Moab in a week. The trails seem to go forever, I picked up a book called back country guide to Moab. Get one its worth the $30. I camped at Canyon Lands camp ground which is a very nice place/ clean. It's downtown so you can walk around town at night or to dinner.
Sucks thinking back today last week I was wheeling out there. Do as much as possible, time flies and its an awsome place.
Thats good info....we were looking at the northern route. You are right about the guides, we use the Fun Treks ones for Arizona and Utah http://www.funtreks.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=6&Itemid=32, they are useful. Idiot boy here got frustrated with the exhausted family and did Hell's Revenge 100% solo, realized I was a fool going down the Dragon's Tail and there were no other vehicles to be seen.

And yeah, I love living in the south, but the wheeling out west is AWESOME.

Oh ok, we'll I sure you could give all of us a few lessons on dealing with the heat from what I've heard of A-Stan. Next year I'm planning a Beuna Vista, Telluride, Holly Cross loop. Really wanting to see more of Co.
Yeah, I guess I am dreaming too much, trying to figure out how to work in a side trip to Ouray and Telluride....maybe this won't be our only trip...beep the horn coming up 26 next year, maybe we can join you!

We towed out there last year from Anderson SC via 40. It took us about 37 hours total going out and about 34 hours coming back. We did the trip back in two days, spending the night in Oklahoma City, which was about half way. We went through Atlanta-Alabama-Mississippi and picked up 40 in Memphis. Mapquest sent us that way but if I had it to do over again we would probably go up to Asheville and get on 40 there and just take it the whole way. We have a 1/2 ton GMC that we tow with and didn't think it was up to the nothern route. We went out for the Easter Jeep Safari, which we really enjoyed. We had never been to Moab before and the Red Rock Four Wheelers were great and put on a very organized event.

This sounds spectacular. My wife and I will be doing this one year hopefully.

We towed out there last year from Anderson SC via 40. It took us about 37 hours total going out and about 34 hours coming back. We did the trip back in two days, spending the night in Oklahoma City, which was about half way. We went through Atlanta-Alabama-Mississippi and picked up 40 in Memphis. Mapquest sent us that way but if I had it to do over again we would probably go up to Asheville and get on 40 there and just take it the whole way. We have a 1/2 ton GMC that we tow with and didn't think it was up to the nothern route. We went out for the Easter Jeep Safari, which we really enjoyed. We had never been to Moab before and the Red Rock Four Wheelers were great and put on a very organized event.
Good info, 1/2 ton will be all I may be able to get access too.

A half ton power wise should be ok going 40, the biggest prob with it is gonna be the small tank an stopping so often. My truck holds 35 gallons and at the 300ish mile mark its just enough to wanna get out and stretch your legs. I'd deff pack about 10 gallons in the back of the truck for emergency. I don't see a half ton towing making it between a few of those fuel stops.

A half ton power wise should be ok going 40, the biggest prob with it is gonna be the small tank an stopping so often. My truck holds 35 gallons and at the 300ish mile mark its just enough to wanna get out and stretch your legs. I'd deff pack about 10 gallons in the back of the truck for emergency. I don't see a half ton towing making it between a few of those fuel stops.
I second that! We averaged just over 10 mpg during the trip and could only get around 200 miles per tank safely. The only time we almost got in trouble was a leg in New Mexico. We got gas east of Amarillo IIRC and then I tried to stretch it out to Santa Rosa, NM. There is NOTHING once you get into New Mexico and we barely made it. I would recommend stopping in Amarillo before crossing into NM. The constant gas stops did stretch the trip out quite a bit.

Hell I'd pack the extra 10 gallons so I increase my chances of not stopping in the Navajo Reservation. Or any reservation. Talk about folks that look at you with genuine hatred in their eyes. In 09 when I went out I was the only pail face for miles at this one gas station. I really thought I was gonna hear a war cry and see arrows flying towards my head.

Hell I'd pack the extra 10 gallons so I increase my chances of not stopping in the Navajo Reservation. Or any reservation. Talk about folks that look at you with genuine hatred in their eyes. In 09 when I went out I was the only pail face for miles at this one gas station. I really thought I was gonna hear a war cry and see arrows flying towards my head.
Good points indeed....I have encountered a few of those "uncomfortable" stops over the years, and prefer to avoid those.

Man, I wish the there was a "Truck Fairy", I'd ask for a 3/4 ton diesel......