Making the leap, need input

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Mini!? I guess the tires make the look. That will change shortly.

Crap! It seems I forgot a small box of parts for the arb. Back to cola.

While I'm there, where is fastenal? I think I'm going to get new bolts for the beadlocks. I'm short a few and they're all rusty.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Mini!? I guess the tires make the look. That will change shortly.

Crap! It seems I forgot a small box of parts for the arb. Back to cola.

While I'm there, where is fastenal? I think I'm going to get new bolts for the beadlocks. I'm short a few and they're all rusty.
There's a Fastenal on Clemson Rd. between Sandhills and I-20.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Went to fastenal, they sold them in packs of 100. Not bad on the price for grade 8 bolts and yellow zinc nuts.

Installed the rock sliders and all the ARB equipment last night. Now I have to redo some work from last weekend. Fix an oil leak and open up the t-case because I can't convince myself that I hooked up the oil pump right. So here we go.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I will sit down and work up the build thread on Monday or maybe tomorrow night (Sunday). I have been on the run. Last night I was in the garage until 2am hanging the Rock Sliders and putting in all the components to make the ARB work. Today I was back in the garage at 9am and was out there until 7:30pm. Taking the T-case back apart because I was afraid I didn't hook up the oil pickup tube properly. It was fine and I even tested it by hand and it is working (more on this in another thread). Also needed to fix an oil leak I apparently created when replacing my damaged oil pan last weekend. It is such a PITA replacing an oil pan in this Jeep. Having to remove the front section of the exhaust is horrible. The bolts never want to come out and getting to them is next to impossible. I had to cut one of them off today because bound up for no apparent reason. Even after getting it off, I couldn't figure out why it just locked up. Oh well, It's all back together and so far no leaks (I RTV'd the hell out of the gasket this time .... I'm sure it would make any mechanic cry, but I was well beyond my limit of patients).

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Just got back from Gulches. All I have to say is OH MY GOD!!. I knew I was limited by what I had but I had no idea what these changes would enable me to do. I took on obstacles that I didn't know if I could do or not and just let the jeep do it's thing. I was amazed over and over again. And the tires .... talk about grip. I was climbing almost vertical rocks 4 to 5 feet high and they didn't even think about slipping. I love it. It performed flawlessly. I can't wait for the Windrock trip so you guys can help me see what it can really do.

I loved being able to lock and unlock the rear on the fly. I just left the front hubs locked the whole time and locked the rear when needed. With the front locked and the rear open, it did pretty well cruising the trails. And it is a dream to drive on the road. Smooth as can be. Until I get over 60. Then one of the tires in the back is either so far off of balance that the dynabeads can't compensate, or I missed one of the dumb balance weights when removing them (there were a ton, I'll check that later).

Thanks for the comments/compliments. Looking forward to putting her through her paces.

Looks cool. What's the lowest you've aired down too? Try airing down to around 5 PSI.... those tires will grab things you didn't even know was rubberly possible.:grin:

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I was at about 11psi today. Two of my valve cores will not come out. I need to look into that. I arrived at Gulches at about 4pm so I was short on time. I aired down quickly and hit the trail to get as much wheeling as possible.