M38a1 Build or Project Blasphemy

Well it is Spaghetti Time for the Jeep. I am going through the Sidekick Wiring harness and removing all that i will not be needing. It didnt take that long, but the worst thing was removing the damn electrical tape and ending up with tarred hands from it :(

Tape ( and this is the second pile)
wires2.jpg

Here is the stuff not needed.
wires4.jpg
wires3.jpg

The end product before i tape it up
wires1.jpg

Now to get a marine fuse block and start wiring it up.

working on the wiring now. i pretty much got all the engine management connected and routed. Working on the fuse block now.

computer1.jpg
still a bit of spaghetti, but it is getting worked out.

Also got the VSS mounted, just need to connect it to the computer
vss.jpg

very blurry pic of the VSS connection in the engine bay.
vss2.jpg

Fortunately I do like wiring. I do it almost every day at work. :)

I pretty much got it all wired up. I still need to run my taillight wiring and figure out if i am going to resocket the original lights or go with after market lights for the rear since mine are way corroded.

I also had to try and "patina" the dash so it matches the rest of the beat up body.

Original dash i made,
steer1.jpg

paint dash
IMAG0031.jpg

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
And it looks like you either got a new camera or figured out how to focus your old one. It's looking great! What size are those tires? It looks like they fit in there nice. Can you get a side pick so we can see the stance? What color you gonna paint it when it's all done ... or are you gonna leave it rustic? Enjoying the build. I love these. What year is it anyway?

YUP. New phone. life is good ;)

The tires are 35s x 12.50. I will leave it like it is for the "Ratrod" look and make it a sort of sleeper. Not like it is going to win races but having a 5 speed and fuel injection is going to throw a few people. :) It is a 1963 I can get more pics tomorrow, i was hoping to pull it out of the garage to give it some sun.

Nothing huge, but I did get my gauges in. Though I didnt install them, they do look pretty in the dash. I still need to decide to paint the speedo bezel to match the others or try to age the new bezels to match the rest.

IMAG0319.jpg
IMAG0320.jpg
IMAG0321.jpg

Well it is getting closer. I pretty much got all my parts in to get it running.
lately i got a bunch of things done.

Fuel system is 98% finished, just have to clamp down the lines.
Brake system is installed, need to add fluid
New radiator and electric fan installed, belts and hoses installed.
Had new shocks but sent them back and am waiting for the repalcements to show up (mis judged length needed)
Exhaust is mocked up, i need to weld tubing together and mount
Filled the axles with oil, but realized i didnt RTV the front cover last time i was in it (a year ago)
At the same time i am replacing pinion seal since the old one is leaking
Driveshafts are installed.

Biggest issue i found was the previous owner of the motor decided to take all the bolts off the oil pan and not give them to me, so i have to get more. Glad I didnt find this out when i added oil and started motor :(

Exhaust has been welded but i need to mount the tube to teh frame
Oil pan gasket is ordered and will be here. Gonna be able to start it soon, getting scared that the magic smoke will be let out of the computer. :( Crossing fingers.
here are some pics. nothing that hasnt been posted before. :)

Radiator installed
IMAG06221.jpg

Engine bay pics again.
IMAG06231.jpg
IMAG0624.jpg
IMAG0625.jpg

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Loving the build. Looking forward to seeing it someday. But I gotta say I'm not too fond of those headlights. Are you going to be putting anything up on that frame/front bumper? A lot of room up there. Keep up the great work.