M38a1 Build or Project Blasphemy

Well getting going on the tranny tunnel, firewall plate and floors. Mocked up the firewall panel with some real thin gauge steel, now i got it out to thicker stuff.

tunnel1.jpg
tunnel2.jpg

Got the tunnels done and they fit great. I still need to cut out a hole for the Tcase, but i need to mount it first.

Tunnels with gas tank fitment.
tunnel5.jpg
tunnel6-1.jpg

Tunnels with seat and gas tank.
tunnel3.jpg
tunnel4.jpg

I am not even sure. It boils down to $$. I am doing everything i can that is free, or dirt cheap. I am starting to get into things thaqt cost money now and will slow down alot :(

Boy I have been on a roll lately. Tranny tunnel, gas pedal install, radiator installed. Now I got my Crossmember cradle for my Tcase almost done. I copied the Kong cradle for a Suzuki Samurai.

xmember4.jpg
xmember1.jpg
xmember2.jpg
xmember6.jpg
xmember7.jpg
xmember5.jpg

Next step is to get the body off the frame and order some spring bushings to make my mounts to the frame, and add a gusset to secure the Tcase front output to the cradle and make a skid plate for the bottom.

I got my intermediate shaft back from Carolina driveline.
shaft.jpg
it is a samurai shaft that i cut way down and had CD to weld up and balance since i think it is pretty critic for this shaft to be as balanced as possible. I have my front rotors coming in and i will be able to get the disc brakes installed on the front and rear axles then it is time to assemble and mount Tcase and start to make it into something i could maybe drive. :)

It is official, i have the drivetrain mounted. Will test fit the tub again with everything connected. I am bending the Tcase shifter to make it work better for me.

drivetrain20.jpg
drivetrain23.jpg
drivetrain25.jpg
drivetrain22.jpg
drivetrain24.jpg
Drivetrain21.jpg

Did a bunch of things this weekend. Filled the gear boxes with oil. Mounted front driveshaft. I got the body back on and it is staying on. It fits real nice with the 35s under it. Also got the GM alternator mount done on the Zuki motor.
alternatormount3.jpg
alternatormount2.jpg
alternatormount1.jpg

This week i should get the power steering mount done and will have my accessories mounted. And hopefully make some front shock towers.

Thanks to Larry and DJ with helping me to get the body up and on it.

I got the power steering pump mounted today. still need to clean it up and add paint. This is a Jeep XJ pump. I had a piece of the original bracket and used it with a new bracket i made to bolt to the engine block. I made two slots in the mount and it pivots with the original mount so i can tension the belt.

powersteeringmount1.jpg
powersteeringmount2.jpg

original mount in the front (dark colored bracket)
powersteeringmount3.jpg

The slots for adjustment
powersteeringmount4.jpg

Got the steering done today. The 1974 CJ5 steering column was cut down about 5 inches, and rewelded. The steering is just a Grant product.
steer1.jpg

The column as close and up on the dash to give lots of room to get in and out.
steer3.jpg

I made the support for the firewall to hold the column down.
steer4.jpg
steer2.jpg

The shaft to connect the gear box to column is part XJ (bottom to gearbox) and the top prtion and slip shaft was from a newer Dodge ram. I jsut had to weld one part of the slip tube to the top shaft.

I still need to get a pressure hose for the steering pump, but i think a XJ unit may work fine.