M38a1 Build or Project Blasphemy

It LIVES!!!!!
http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/DanStewIII/?action=view&current=VIDEO0089.mp4

th_VIDEO0089.jpg

Hope to drive it tomorrow when i get the clutch adjusted. It is running real rough, possibly missing a cylinder. I pulled plug #1 and it ran with no problem, put back and pulled #2 and it died. plugged 2 back in and started it ran, then i pulled plug 3 and it died. Plugged 3 back in and then started and last pulled plug 4 and it kept running. Odd. I put my timing light to it and it didnt want to work with the teeny tiny plug wires for the inductive pickup. It wants to die if you give it gas at the pedal. It seems to be getting a little better than when i first started it but it just isnt right yet.

It made it out of the garage today for a few laps around the block. Here is a video of the last "try" before i had an issue and ran over my neighbors mailbox.

th_VIDEO0109.jpg

th_VIDEO0110.jpg

The Jeep is running much better after i have been running it more and more and gave it a bottle of sea foam in the tank, running a very heavy mix to clean injectors. I have to get a baffle to add some more back pressure to the EGR so i can clear the code and have the computer to not back off on the timing so i can drive at higher RPMs without the misfire and poor performance. But in first and second the motor is real good for this size vehicle. The 5 speed shifts sooo nice compared to the original 3 speed. I am now finding a few more leaks. The seal on the output of the tranny is leaking like hell, which sucks cause i did just replace it with a new one. I guess i need a speedy sleeve for the samurai intermediate shaft. And i will need a new pinion seal for the rear axle. Sooo close but i still have a few more things to go before it sees the main road and traffic speeds.

It made it out of the garage today for a few laps around the block. Here is a video of the last "try" before i had an issue and ran over my neighbors mailbox.

th_VIDEO0109.jpg

th_VIDEO0110.jpg

The Jeep is running much better after i have been running it more and more and gave it a bottle of sea foam in the tank, running a very heavy mix to clean injectors. I have to get a baffle to add some more back pressure to the EGR so i can clear the code and have the computer to not back off on the timing so i can drive at higher RPMs without the misfire and poor performance. But in first and second the motor is real good for this size vehicle. The 5 speed shifts sooo nice compared to the original 3 speed. I am now finding a few more leaks. The seal on the output of the tranny is leaking like hell, which sucks cause i did just replace it with a new one. I guess i need a speedy sleeve for the samurai intermediate shaft. And i will need a new pinion seal for the rear axle. Sooo close but i still have a few more things to go before it sees the main road and traffic speeds.

sounds like it may be drivable for the Toys 4 tots run!

It might be running by this weekend, but i am working football on Saturday :( Kickoff is at 1:30.

But i did receive this bling today
IMAG0840.jpg

Now to put my intake and everything back together and pray the EGR code goes away and the motor will play nice.

Well i got the engine back together and fired it up. runs nicer than it has and then once it warmed up the check engine light came on. After a little searching my ECM requires a EGR temp sensor, but my EGR is older and doesnt have one, so i added a resistor in place of the sensor and the check engine light is off. HOORAY!!!! I drove it around the block again with out taking out any mailboxes. i still have to work on the brakes and the leaky gas tank before it gets on the road unfortunately but at least the engine is running. Good times.

Well the rig still runs but not all that great. i am waiting for a new gas tank to get in before i give it another going through since i exhausted every other avenue (sensors, timing etc.) I got to looking at my original tranny tunnel i made and i didnt like how it is looking for me to install a boot for the shifter, i would have needed to make a custom boot and it was not going to look good. So i cut the tunnel down so it is just over the shifter housing and i can use a factory style boot and it will look normal.

Before
tunnel5.jpg
It was a two piece design, and i just wasnt happy with it after staring at it for a while.

After.
IMAG0968_zps78311995.jpg

IMAG0967_zpsaabd6c9f.jpg

IMAG0966_zps3fe6811e.jpg

I still need to fill in two gaps between top piece and the original bottom, drill some holes so it can bolt to it. The top can come off and i have access to the transmission and tcase. I am going to cut and weld in two cup holders on the back empty section :)

Well i got the rear tank installed. It is a 1970 CJ5 unit. Thanks Nick!!!!

I modified the CJ sending unit and installed a wrangler in tank electric pump. Unfortunately the access hole to the tank was too small for me to mount my aftermarket fuel gauge sending unit to it, so i had to cut out another hole to install the sending unit. One thing to know about the tank is the one vent tube from the side actually is a complete tube going from one side to the other. I unfortuantely found that out the hard way when i drilled the hole for the sending unit. Fortuantely it was only a little nick and since it is the fuel return i am not worried about a leak in the tank from it.

IMAG0988_zps047b683f.jpg
here is the fuel pump on the CJ sending unit. Very easy mod, measure how deep your tank, cut the tub, clamp on the new pump. I ran the wire through the other tube on the sending unit.

The tank mounted
IMAG0992_zps9ec533e2.jpg

Fuel filler.
IMAG0991_zps5ecddfe8.jpg

Whole lotta room under my driver seat. i have to remake the seat brackets now, which is fine, i wasnt happy with old one.
IMAG0993_zps69a3e90b.jpg

And made a plate for the original fuel filler opening. Fortuantely it just unbolts and i cut the plate and bolted it back. I just need to figure a way to paint it to match the patina of the rest of the jeep. Heck i may just leave it this way.
IMAG0994_zps3ef844f3.jpg

The fuel lines are now nicely tucked under the body away from trail damage, the fuel pump is soooooooooooooooo quiet now. And to boot i raised my pressure at the fuel rail by 5 psi. I was just at minimum PSI for the fuel injection, so this makes me a bit more enthusiastic that i will have a better running engine.

Finally some good news. I got the beast up and running real good now. Not sure how i did it, but after going through the wiring and recrimping a few factory crimps and replacing an intake coupler. Th engine runs like it should with no hickups or bogging. Plenty of pep. To get it on the road i just need a new power steering pump and some tires. Looks like i am going down from the 35s to 33s and get tires with actual tread on them, so i am hoping for the tax return to come soon. Time for the happy dance.

Went back and redid my seat mounts to compensate for the loss of the fuel tank and quite frankly i was not happy with the old mounts. The seats are tilted a bit so hopefully my leg doesnt hurt like heck from the gas pedal angle.

IMAG0113_zps474c3f76.jpg
IMAG0115_zps2841e2fa.jpg

And hopefully with tax return i will get either low back suspension seats or low back regular seats.

Well finally got the seats mounted today. i had to notch the wheelwells to get a bit more room for them..

IMAG0163_zpsd74fcec7.jpg
IMAG0164_zps5653361f.jpg
IMAG0165_zps7c2cc441.jpg

seats done
IMAG0167_zps9b4fb515.jpg
IMAG0168_zps6393913a.jpg
IMAG0169_zps47ccc126.jpg
IMAG0170_zps787523ac.jpg

It is great to have the seats in but it isnt driving anytime soon. I swapped out a sidekick slip yoke to replace the samurai one so i could keep oil in the transmission. Turns out the sidekick yoke is 1/2 longer than the Samurai. and i could not bolt the transfercase back in its mount. I made a trip to the bearing shop to see if they had anything in their books for a seal that would fit with the samurai yoke, but there is nothing available. So i sent out the intermediate shaft out and cross my fingers that they can remove 3/4 inch of length out of the shaft. They made this shaft and it had about an 1 1/2 of tube between yokes.