Just another Green 98 TJ Sahara

So, I slacked off and didnt post any updates... I got the AC Charged and it seems to be cooling. Had some issues originally until i realized the cable blend door wasn't pulling all the way to the cool side. One of the downsides to the way my install worked out was that the AC always works in recirculation, meaning that the air is always pulled from the hot passenger floorboard. I just dont have any real good reference points as to how well the AC should work in a jeep with a soft top.

Im contemplating on adding some dynamat (or similar) material to the front floorboards to help with the heat and the noise. Anybody have any experience with that in a jeep? I have factory painted floorboards and carpet.

Also thinking it's time for a stereo upgrade. I really want to do something different in the front, I want to get the sound up out the floor. During my dash removal I destroyed the cheap o tweeters i had. I am surprised how much they were actually doing. Im also thinking it's time for a new headunit, the Pioneer Premier unit from my high school days is lacking bluetooth audio, which i would occasionally like. Im toying with the idea of grabbing the matching 4 channel amp to the sub amp im running and some of the new Memphis speakers 6.5 Marines in the sound bar and something up front, Nobody really makes 5.25 components anymore.

I fired up the CNC this afternoon and made a panel to mount in the dash tray for a couple of ram balls. I need to order a couple other parts from RAM to finish, but I'm happy for now.
20200329_184957.jpg 20200329_180530.jpg 20200329_175947.jpg 20200329_175044.jpg 20200329_175041.jpg

So, I slacked off and didnt post any updates... I got the AC Charged and it seems to be cooling. Had some issues originally until i realized the cable blend door wasn't pulling all the way to the cool side. One of the downsides to the way my install worked out was that the AC always works in recirculation, meaning that the air is always pulled from the hot passenger floorboard. I just dont have any real good reference points as to how well the AC should work in a jeep with a soft top.

Im contemplating on adding some dynamat (or similar) material to the front floorboards to help with the heat and the noise. Anybody have any experience with that in a jeep? I have factory painted floorboards and carpet.

Also thinking it's time for a stereo upgrade. I really want to do something different in the front, I want to get the sound up out the floor. During my dash removal I destroyed the cheap o tweeters i had. I am surprised how much they were actually doing. Im also thinking it's time for a new headunit, the Pioneer Premier unit from my high school days is lacking bluetooth audio, which i would occasionally like. Im toying with the idea of grabbing the matching 4 channel amp to the sub amp im running and some of the new Memphis speakers 6.5 Marines in the sound bar and something up front, Nobody really makes 5.25 components anymore.

I fired up the CNC this afternoon and made a panel to mount in the dash tray for a couple of ram balls. I need to order a couple other parts from RAM to finish, but I'm happy for now.
View attachment 19741 View attachment 19742 View attachment 19743 View attachment 19744 View attachment 19745
I have broken 3 of those phone holders from that manufacturer, have you had good luck with them?

I haven't used it personally yet, but lots of the guys I follow on YouTube do... Seem to have nothing but good things to say about them. I was looking into Ram before, but couldn't find one that I liked how it mounted.

I haven't used it personally yet, but lots of the guys I follow on YouTube do... Seem to have nothing but good things to say about them. I was looking into Ram before, but couldn't find one that I liked how it mounted.
I think it looks like the 67d mount will work with Ram balls and arms from what I can see.

I have never broken one, but i have also tweaked all of mine for a better fit.... The only thing i don't like about that 67 mount is not being fully retained. seems it might want to slide down with vibs.
I felt like all of mine felt pretty good, but the little tab broke off 3 of them.

Thats slick, I just figure mine will end up looking like a metal fur ball. haha. Tripp, I may chat with you about doing one of those. I'm still not sure if I'm going to put the CB back in or just do a hard mount GMRS.
Im keeping with both, just because... I made the mistake while doing some fab work of not wrapping the magnet in a paper towel....

Last edited:
So, Im ready for a Front selectable Locker and Chromos...

ARB - $899 + $207
Pro - Constand engagement
Con - Air Lines / Compressor / Leaky Seals / ?90% reliable?
5 Year Warranty

Eaton E-Locker - $933
Pro -Simple Electrical connection
Con - Unlock-Relock on direction change / unknown reliability?
1 Year Warranty

Would this be a good time to go to 30 Spline?

Any other options im missing?

I've always liked the idea of OX lockers. No electrical or air pumps to worry about. Especially since I've seen so many people break their ARBs over the years.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Decided you can't wait on me? :LOL:

I avoided the OX locker because of the adjustment. From what I've heard if you get it just right its great, but its hard to get it right. And you have to find a spot to mount levers and run cables instead of just a switch on the dash.

I didn't do 30 spline because I wanted to be able to keep stock shafts as spares, and I don't think the axle spline is going to be your weak point anyway.

So, Im ready for a Front selectable Locker and Chromos...

ARB - $899 + $207
Pro - Constand engagement
Con - Air Lines / Compressor / Leaky Seals / ?90% reliable?
5 Year Warranty

Eaton E-Locker - $933
Pro -Simple Electrical connection
Con - Unlock-Relock on direction change / unknown reliability?
1 Year Warranty

Would this be a good time to go to 30 Spline?

Any other options im missing?
Is your front still low pinion? if so, your shafts will not be the weak link, it will be the Ring Gear.

I would vote E-locker.