Handguns

Lately, I've been thinking about getting handgun, and I was especially considering a full size or compact Glock. Considering I'm 18, I can't go to Sportsmans or another gun shop to purchase one, so I'd have to buy privately. If I did seriously consider getting a Glock, what would be a good price range to look at? I was also looking at the Ruger LC9.

Seems that most used handguns sell for darn near what a new one will... figure upper $400's to lower $500's for a glock (depending on model). Budsgunshop.com will give you some idea of pricing - check out the Carolina Trader as well.

It's annoying because I want to purchase a good handgun, but I can't legally buy one from a gun shop, I can only buy one from a private seller. Then again, I'm not too knowledgable on the economy of used guns:confused:

Ean, Make sure that if you are buying privately, that you get the serial number and take it to your local PD to have it run through the crime or stolen database. If you want, I can get it run for you. 2 guns Ive tried to get privately over the past 2 years have been stolen.

Brooks if you ever upgrade, i have a m&p you can try out sometime if you like! I got some other toys too! But i know you like cheap ammo so ill keep you away from my 10mm!

My wife and I just bought two Springfield XDm compacts a 9mm for her and a .40 S&W for me from James Firearms. We plan for them to be CCWs when we take the course next month. We went to Allen Arms and tried most of their rentals to see what felt best in our hands and what calibers we could handle; XDms felt the most natural in our hands. Before we bought these, I bought a Browning Buckmark Camper (.22LR) as my first handgun and love it too. On a side note, the same day I went into James Firearms to order the XDms, I ended up picking up a Mosin Nagant with the Hex receiver circa 1934. Thats another fun gun to shoot and great for those who have an addiction to history too.

Well, I am throwing my hat in. Looking for a pocket pistol because my current carry pistol is kinda old...and heavy.

Looking at something like a Ruger LC9, a Kahr PM-9 or CM-9, and I know Kel Tec has a little small pistol as well.

For the "full size" pistol, looking at either a Sig P229 or a FN Five-Seven. Dunno yet, haven't made a decision. Been looking for a used one. Used has been good to me.

Next month the plan is to join the pistol range near the casa and make sure the .22 pistol still works on a regular basis.

More important than caliber is shot placement. You can envision yourself invincible with a large caliber handgun but if you miss your target you're screwed. A practiced shooter with a 9mm is going to be much more effective than an unpracticed shooter with a .40 or .45. That being said, there's no replacement for displacement. But whatever handgun you choose, intense practice and training will serve you best.

More important than caliber is shot placement. You can envision yourself invincible with a large caliber handgun but if you miss your target you're screwed. A practiced shooter with a 9mm is going to be much more effective than an unpracticed shooter with a .40 or .45. That being said, there's no replacement for displacement. But whatever handgun you choose, intense practice and training will serve you best.
True.....im going to look an XD9 and XD40 on tuesday

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I totally agree! If you can't make a good placed shot its not gonna stop em! With circumstance, there are times a good shot wont do the job!
I personally know the Columbia PD officer that was shot last year. His vest did its job, and when the suspect was finally confronted by SWAT it took 15rds of 5.56 at close range to finally stop him. Roughly 10 of those were placed shots.
You have to consider situation, and take into account all the elements before you dismiss a caliber. I'm a huge fan of .40S&W but that's just me. That article, and video are bias in my opinion, but ya know what opinions are like.

If the price was the same, for concealed carry, would you go 9mm or .40?

Set from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
I've thinkin the same question. I just recently got my CWP and now i'm looking for a gun to carry. Been lookin at the ruger LC 9mm. But If I can find a 40 that i like the size of, I might would choose it over a 9mm just for the extra knock down

Shane:

Fobus is nice, but i've switched to Blackhawk serpa's for outside the waistband.... I like the finger release. Since concealed means concealed, you might want to look at inside the waistband. Crossbreed makes some very nice ones and Galco has knocked off crossbreed's design. Crossbreed is custom built, galco you can get at Palmetto State Armory.

How long between mailing and getting your permit?

Ed

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
for open carry I love the Blackhawk Serpa holsters. For concealed carry, you can't beat a crossbreed, but I don't know how comfortable it will be with a big gun.

I've thinkin the same question. I just recently got my CWP and now i'm looking for a gun to carry. Been lookin at the ruger LC 9mm. But If I can find a 40 that i like the size of, I might would choose it over a 9mm just for the extra knock down
I'm partial to 9mm.... ammo is cheaper and, therefore, you'll practice more. Also, .40S&W seems to have a greater felt recoil than even the .45acp -none are bad, just something to think about.

That being said, Taurus has a .40S&W version of their LC9 knock-off. I saw it at Palmetto State Armory earlier this week. Ruger probably does too..

Ed

Shane:How long between mailing and getting your permit?

Ed
63 days on the mark :)

Issued on 3/13, got it in the mail on the 15th. What ammo do you guys use for the range? I bought a box of Federal, but have to return them. The XD has a ported barrell, and on the box, it says "DO NOT USE ON PORTED BARREL" in big letters...youd think the Palmetto Armory guys would know that.... Oh well, headed back this afternoon to return it, and get something else, and a holster...

good, they're getting faster. I use whatever's cheapest... all mine will shoot blazer with no problem, so I use a lot of blazer. Federal too. But, it's all FMJ - did you get JHP? or some "hot" round?

Ed