Handguns

I've got an old .22 revolver my granddad gave me that's prob one of my favorite guns to shoot being do small and cheap to shoot.

Roommate just got a .45 revolver S&W I'm ready to go shoot. Been trying to shoot a squirrel in are backyard but he keeps saying something about living in a neighborhood in the city.....like that matters

I dont think you would get into any trouble carrying larger pistols unless you were being stupid and drawing attention to yourself or shooting off rounds for the hell of it

if you had to actually used the weapon for defense I would hope they would look the other way....

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
You can carry bigger guns, but they have to be unloaded, secured, ect. (useless for defense). I think the legal way for the range at Uwharrie is take them out of the case at the range and put them back before you leave.

Nice brooks! Let me know how you like it.

Just be careful about the laws. Some national forests allow you to carry but it is technically illegal to discharge the firearm within the boundaries of the forest. Seems stupid but there was a lawsuit recently where a hiker shot a bear in self defense and is being charged for it. Also, if i recall correctly, you cant carry into government building. And technically they consider visitor centers and even bathrooms government buildings so that is another weird part of the national forest laws.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
And technically they consider visitor centers and even bathrooms government buildings so that is another weird part of the national forest laws.
Correct. I've heard that if you're driving through a national forrest on the highway you're fine, but if you park on a pull off area and leave the road, you're illegal.

How does that walther22 compare in size to a LCP 380?
That Walter is a good looking piece. Did you get the pink one Brooks? I saw a pink one on google images.

I know Brooks specifically mentioned National Forests, but remember that as long as you can legally carry in the state, you may carry in anything maintained by the National Park Service or Wildlife Refuge folks. Seems to be a bit of discussion about the rules related to National Forests - they aren't under the auspices of the NPS, so the 2010 law doesn't affect them. However, a prime resource (www.handgunlaw.us) indicates that carry in NC and SC is okay - and doesn't mention size limitations.

Don't take it as gospel about the National Forests, but you're good in the National Parks (other than, of course, buildings).

Ed

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I know Brooks specifically mentioned National Forests, but remember that as long as you can legally carry in the state, you may carry in anything maintained by the National Park Service or Wildlife Refuge folks. Seems to be a bit of discussion about the rules related to National Forests - they aren't under the auspices of the NPS, so the 2010 law doesn't affect them. However, a prime resource (www.handgunlaw.us) indicates that carry in NC and SC is okay - and doesn't mention size limitations.

Don't take it as gospel about the National Forests, but you're good in the National Parks (other than, of course, buildings).

Ed
I did a lot of looking before our Hurricane Creek trip last year. The best resource I could find was from www.ncwildlife.org, but the news release is no longer posted. It said that since all of the Forests in NC are National Forests and Wildlife Management Areas, the 2010 law didn't affect them. You can carry a .22 with less than 7 inch barrel. Anything bigger and you could be considered hunting out of season or hunting without a license...

Found it in the archives:
http://216.27.39.101/NewsArchives10/041410_Concealed_Carry_Permit_for_Firearms_Prompts_Questions.htm

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I believe black hills offroad park (harlan) has a no weapons sign at the entrance...

Kentucky does have reciprocity with SC so you're good in town.