Family Truckster Vol. 2

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I got the headliner done today at Leon's headliners at the Barnyard Flea Market. Looks good, reasonable at $375.

20210828_150525.jpg

20210828_150514.jpg

Since I took everything out of it for that job, I thought a little about my back of truck sleeping arrangements. It's plenty long and about 52" wide. I'm not sure if I want to get a full air mattress and squeeze it in or just get a twin and have some extra room down the side.

Now I need to order a driver seat base cover from the seat shop and the interior will be all good.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Thats awesome! what does something like that run? I didnt know replacement parts like that were available.
It's $209 for a bucket base, $219 for a back. They have replacement foam, heaters, arm rests, head rests, etc. This company pretty much started with the gmt800 trucks and have expanded to a few ford's, grand cherokees...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Keeping with my pattern of overdoing things with this rig, I put a ginormous trans cooler on it. This is a Tru-Cool 40k with brackets from some random guy off the internet. The kit works out pretty well. It positions the cooler where the driver side line fits just by removing from the clip. The passenger side gets cut and rotated, then put back together with a compression fitting he supplies.

20210906_160545.jpg

Factory one for comparison.

20210906_160603.jpg

I need to put a bigger one in my F150. Towing small loads such as my boat I see 175-180 degrees and I just feel like it should be lower.... But its also usually above 90 degrees temps outside when i'm towing that.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Did my first and probably only automatic fluid and filter change. I had talked myself out of it a few times but finally did it. Fluid was dark but didn't smell burnt. Nothing on the magnet, nothing concerning in the pan. Hopefully it's healthy and good for another 200k.

I'll happily pay the ~$100 for someone else to do it from now on. I'm tired of working on things under vehicles.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I had been looking for radios to come back in stock and happened to catch a Pioneer DMH-2660NEX come in late one evening before going to bed. I wanted a back up camera to be able to hitch trailers by myself and the last camping trip driving up by myself really made me want hands free and nav. I've never had anything with phone mirroring so decided to give it a shot.

There's a lot more involved in this than the last one I did (either Dad's '94 Camaro or my '02 Civic).
20210928_145012.jpg

One evening during the week I made all the harnesses connections.
20210930_113910.jpg

Today I finished up the backup camera and put in the data port for Android Auto.
74124.jpeg

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I had the battery load tested and it checked out "ok" but the guy said the machine said it was near end of life. I killed it just sitting in the garage installing the radio, so figured especially with winter coming and this one living outside I'd go ahead and replace it. Optima was the only AGM I could get with top and side posts, so we'll give them another shot.

When I went to install the new one I saw that there were no threads left on the positive terminal screw. Basically just shoved in the hole... For some reason I had a new terminal in a random drawer so all good now.

20211009_144952.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Extremely pleased with the way this thing handled the 800 mile tow for DBBB. Over the winter I'll be looking for an electric fan setup out of 2005-2007 1500 to free up a few horses, and get it tuned.

I'm also plotting a front reciever/winch setup. I wanted to do the RC hidden winch mount but they don't make one for the 2500s. I parked by my dad's 2004 Sierra 1500 to compare and the 2500 frame has a crossmember in the way. The front recievers available hang too low, but I think I'm going to order one for the side brackets and cross tube, cut the reciever tube off of it and move it up as far as possible. Either right under the chrome bumper, or through it depending.

When I loaded the jeep for this trip I looked under the back to see how far off bump stops it was. There were no bump stops... I got some generic ones from advance that night, but the stud is barely long enough to get the nut on. I ordered some for a 1500 because it was all I could find, but they may not work either. I finally found the right part number (15716479) and will get them if the 1500 ones don't work.

20211013_191636.jpg

When i towed my project Willys home last January I was not that impressed with the Suburbans towing. Just seemed to not be stable and kind of gutless. Not like a CJ2a is very heavy. Just wasnt as sure as I felt in my F150.

When i towed my project Willys home last January I was not that impressed with the Suburbans towing. Just seemed to not be stable and kind of gutless. Not like a CJ2a is very heavy. Just wasnt as sure as I felt in my F150.
It was an amazing tow...Id put my jeep behind it over my f150... The suspension soaked up everything from that trailer and the Quadra-Steering maneuvered it around gas stations better than my truck with no trailer.