Family Truckster Vol. 2

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I had been looking for a 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL for about 6 months now. After missing out on a few, I bought a 2004 Denali and intended to swap the 6.0 and 3.73 axles from it into our current half ton with 5.3 and 3.42s. But Thursday a good looking, reasonably priced 2500 showed up on FB Marketplace. So today Burgundy and I took a trip to North GA and picked up her half ton's twin.

20210619_122126.jpg

It's a 2005 Yukon XL 2500 SLT 6.0 with quadrasteer 3.73 gears 190k miles.

Long term goals are to be my all around tow rig / work truck. Be able to tow camper anywhere or tow jeep and sleep in Yukon. I want to do a little bit bigger tire, bumper/winch, etc.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The previous owner was meticulous with maintenance. Interior isn't great but it's a lot better than a lot of them out there. I may replace the front seat bottom covers, and the headliner is starting to fall along the windshield and the front doors.

Any tricks that work to prolong the inevitable for the headliner? I want to avoid spray glue for the mess, but was wondering if there was a brush on glue that would be worth trying.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
i hope it isnt the dual zone HVAC setup. it kind of sucks. does weird things
It's tri-zone, same as Burgy's, and the denali under the porch. The dash panel is two dials for temp controls and the digital screen, then there's knobs overhead for the rear controls. What do you mean by funny things? The dials on the control panel can go bad and not adjust temp correctly, but not a big deal and I have a spare panel. Blend doors can go and blow hot on one side and cold on other. Dad's truck did that.

Last edited:
Good looking burb. On the headliner... if it's already peeling just bite the bullet and have it fixed. $200 or so to have it done and there is really no way to do it other than strip and re-do. Our Tahoe is going in for one after we get back from the beach.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Good looking burb. On the headliner... if it's already peeling just bite the bullet and have it fixed. $200 or so to have it done and there is really no way to do it other than strip and re-do. Our Tahoe is going in for one after we get back from the beach.
I'll have to ask around and find somebody to get a quote. The guy that used to do them for us is no longer with us...

If you can stand getting it to Greenwood I will let you know for sure what mine ends up being. It will probably be a few weeks before I actually get it to them. It's going to The Sam to have an exhaust and oil leak taken care of.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Man I love $20 tax bills, cheap insurance, and being exempt from weighted tags... got all my paperwork done.

@matth_85 and @jimbo92 you guys know these trucks as well as anyone. For 285s should I lift, level with keys, or crank the stock bars? Either 285/75/16 on stock wheels or 285/70/17 on H2s.

I know Jimbo is gonna say white letter out BFGs...

Turn the bars slightly. It won't take much to clear 285's. They will fit better on the stock wheels however they will wear the centers easier due to the narrow wheel. I prefer stock wheels over the H2's.

Of course white letter bfgs. Also torsion keys are no better for the truck than cranking....so go the free route. I cranked mine probably an inch on mine and ran a 285.