Early Bronco Build

Didn't know there was another EB owner in the Columbia area. I'm restoring a 77 in Rosewood. Things have come to a standstill with young kids around. My frame is currently up in a rotisserie and the tub and all other parts are in Newberry. It has a decent core support for a six cylinder. With the right cuts it can work for you. You can have it if you help cut it off. I plan to buy a new one that's setup for a V8 and PS. I've got a set of decent doors too, and an ok hardtop.
Are you looking to sell the doors or top? Is it a full top or half cab?

Yes, I need the doors gone as I just bought a set of 68 doors. The bottom lower skin needs to be replaced on one, not sure about the other one. I bought them as is a yr ago. Both are in dry storage. $190 pr

As far as the full hardtop, I bought it with the intention of turning it into a targa hardtop. The sides are rusted badly, but the top and drip rail are in very good shape. $70

Send me ur email or cell # is ur interested. Matt

Been a while since I updated this. I've been working on it slowly but mostly just saving money and deciding what parts I want to go with. I've cut the rusted floors out and straightened the right rear corner of the tub. I picked up a zf-5 transmission a few weeks ago and got the original 302 bolted up to it. I'm waiting on some motor mounts this week, then I'll put those in and see what kind of room I have with the taller and longer transmission. I wanted to get that in before I start putting the floor back together. I've also found the frame is bent so I'll be deciding what to do with that next.

IMG_7909.JPG
IMG_7913.JPG
IMG_7914.JPG
IMG_7915.JPG
IMG_7916.JPG

Thanks Bill!

I've been doing a lot of Craigslist shopping lately. I picked up some fenders, doors, grill, windshield frame, and this weekend I picked up a half cab top. I got a deal on the top because something got dropped on it while in storage and put a big dent in the roof. It also has some really poor body work done on it but will be perfect for what I'm building. Also got some armor for the top of the rear quarter panel that I need to cut down to size.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice! What year are the zf-5's from? Looks good!
Thanks! The zf-5's were in '87-'96 f-250's and up. Mine is from a '90 f-250. The non-removable bell housing makes them a little hard to find since it has to be from a truck that was 4x4 and had the smallblock motor.

Thanks! The zf-5's were in '87-'96 f-250's and up. Mine is from a '90 f-250. The non-removable bell housing makes them a little hard to find since it has to be from a truck that was 4x4 and had the smallblock motor.
Ok I have been thinking about a 302 swap in my Jeep and wanted a 5 speed manual but was not sure what they were called. I will probably just try and build a stroker at some point but was curious.

Been a while since I've updated this, I've been working on it slowly as I get more parts for it. Once I got most of the body parts for it, I took the frame out and started cleaning it up and removing all the stock suspension brackets.

IMG_8143.JPG

I was amazed how well it cleaned up with just a wire wheel.

IMG_8346.JPG

I was considering for a while whether I should buy a new frame or build one because mine was slightly bent and had some rust in the right rear as well as some cracks around the steering box. Once I got it cleaned up I decided to fix what I have since I've never heard of anyone having any major problems with early bronco frames except for the steering box area cracking. I couldn't find any shop that really wanted to straighten it though so I ended up building a jig and straightening it with a bottle jack. The right rear corner was bent down by 9/16". The 20 ton bottle jack straightened it up like it was butter.

IMG_8151 (1).JPG

IMG_8154.JPG

Fixing the rust around the body mount

IMG_8451.jpg

I also ended up getting some 3/16" plate rolled to match the body. They will end up being my rear quarter panels. I'll probably end up cutting the original ones out and making these bolt in. The right rear quarter has a ton of crappy body work done on it.

IMG_8458.JPG

Also finally got my transfer case in, atlas 4 speed with the 5.44:1 ratio. Took forever to get it, about a month.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_8608.JPG

I put it all in and started test fitting this weekend.

IMG_8622.JPG

IMG_8632.JPG

I need to remember this thread. IF I ever get my twins out the house and working I'll have the funds to do my dream build on the xj which will include a 5.0L and manual tranny with my 203/205 set up. Very nice work on the frame there. Love the drivetrain.

Been a while since I've updated this, I've been working on it slowly as I get more parts for it. Once I got most of the body parts for it, I took the frame out and started cleaning it up and removing all the stock suspension brackets.

View attachment 7624

I was amazed how well it cleaned up with just a wire wheel.

View attachment 7625

I was considering for a while whether I should buy a new frame or build one because mine was slightly bent and had some rust in the right rear as well as some cracks around the steering box. Once I got it cleaned up I decided to fix what I have since I've never heard of anyone having any major problems with early bronco frames except for the steering box area cracking. I couldn't find any shop that really wanted to straighten it though so I ended up building a jig and straightening it with a bottle jack. The right rear corner was bent down by 9/16". The 20 ton bottle jack straightened it up like it was butter.

View attachment 7628

View attachment 7627

Fixing the rust around the body mount

View attachment 7629

I also ended up getting some 3/16" plate rolled to match the body. They will end up being my rear quarter panels. I'll probably end up cutting the original ones out and making these bolt in. The right rear quarter has a ton of crappy body work done on it.

View attachment 7630

Also finally got my transfer case in, atlas 4 speed with the 5.44:1 ratio. Took forever to get it, about a month.

View attachment 7636

View attachment 7632

I put it all in and started test fitting this weekend.

View attachment 7633

View attachment 7637
I have a brand new passenger rear quarter I'll make you a deal on! I ended up just not needing it and it's sitting in the original box in my storage unit. I live in Greenwood...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk