Grand Dads Cj5

Hated to do is but the top will gone in the next few min. I really wanted it to work out for the kids comfort more so than my own. The wife thought it was hideous. Maybe after he leaves ill shoot to Clemson and grab a few winch parts I need to finally get it done and mounted.

Went up to Clemson 4wd today so Joe could look at this 8274 and evaluate its needs. Its in pretty ruff shape. Its been in the weather past few years and once we took a look inside the motor it was obvious why it wouldn't do anything. It had water sitting in it for sometime and the solenoids wouldn't work either. So I left it with them to look at the gears and see if any damage has occurred there before spending any money on it. That part seem promising but Ill still have some $$ in it getting it going. But way cheaper than the $1800 they are fetching new.

I've been shopping for a fam/tow rig for a few months now. Looked at pros/cons, gas vs diesel, this money gets me that this money gets me this till I'm blue in the face. Toyota Tundras were 1st on my list. But I quickly noticed anything half ton and nice usually had a fair amount of miles for the years I was looking at vs Suv's. So I turned my attention to Suv's because I noticed they either never got abused or ever towed anything in its life. And had good chances of being driven by a female which I know could be far abused worse than a 16 year living on a dirt road. But generally had lower miles than the half tons for around the same money. Being a toyota fan I settled on an 07 Limited, V8, 4wd. i know it isn't going to break any towing records I think the Cj on a light trailer is within its capabilities and doubles as a nice fam rig of my wife wants to use it.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
What i don't understand is why the HP number went up and the torque went down in the 05+. Either way hopefully its up to the task.
Most we ever towed with it was a 19' ski boat and it did fine. I towed my car trailer empty with it and a short in the trailer wiring killed the alternator. Unless they changed between the 03 and 07, the trailer circuits are not isolated like they are on the GMs I'm used to. It also was smoking a little at 130,000 miles, seemed like valve seals.

I have a lead on a yj lift for dirt cheap with shocks. I think its 2.5". While I don't really wanna lift it at all Id like some update wider springs. Would it be worth it to get it and take a leaf or 2 out to soften it up and get and 1-1.5" lift out of it? Im just worried these old small leafs are going to break and spring wrap in the rear bad.