What are the best lessons you've learned wheeling?

Chattin with Nick in another thread brought this to mind so I thought i'd start a thread.

What are some of the best lessons you've learned in the woods? Wheelin'

Some of mine...

-My biggest lesson was learned in Lion's Den. Keep ya damn hands in the vehicle no matter what. Unless your getting out, hands inside. I was trying to pull my winch remote cord in (while out of gear) but the truck was still running and in double low. Somehow it kicked backwards and had I not been SUPER SUPER lucky, I would probably only have a right hand.

-Glass bottles won't last long. Paul learned that at River Rock in the 4runner a few years ago.

-The later in the day, the more parts will break.

-Buy built more than you currently desire. You WILL want more and it costs wayyyyy more to build in steps.

I've learned to only wheel with rigs that are at least built as much as my own rig. Wheeling with someone who's rig is less equipped than mine typically makes for a long and not fun day. They break and don't have tools to fix the problem or they can't handle a trail that I want to do. It's just not a good match.

I've learned to only wheel with rigs that are at least built as much as my own rig. Wheeling with someone who's rig is less equipped than mine typically makes for a long and not fun day. They break and don't have tools to fix the problem or they can't handle a trail that I want to do. It's just not a good match.
Great point.

If u give 100% at ur first attempt to get up obstacle ur prob make it instead of saying lets ( trying it out) ( let me see how it feels)....always prep ur rig alittle and make sure the other guys ur going out with do the same...at 3.60 pg for diesel it expensive to go 5 hours to wheel and have a guy thats holding the whole group up because of lack of maintenance

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

If u give 100% at ur first attempt to get up obstacle ur prob make it instead of saying lets ( trying it out) ( let me see how it feels)....always prep ur rig alittle and make sure the other guys ur going out with do the same...at 3.60 pg for diesel it expensive to go 5 hours to wheel and have a guy thats holding the whole group up because of lack of maintenance

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
These are spot on son!! Well put. I'm guilty of, "let me just pull up to it and feel it out". Thx for pointing that out to me.

Be self sufficient as possible. Depending on others tools/spare parts/ spare tire can leave the group stranded.
Like Robbie said, 5 hours is along way to go to deal with some BS.

When the sun goes down, the rig goes in park.

When the beer comes out, the keys get stored away.

I've only had one night ride that didn't go completely wrong. The rest of the time something miserable has happened and I don't have a rig for the next day.

Now riding with someone at night, that is different. Just make you you've got on a good pair of boots.