TRE/ Heims tech. What do you run?

Also, on my Toyota I just never had any luck with the TRE. Mainly due to the fact of no jam nut. I ended up having to tack the TRE to the Tie Rod once I put the Hydro Assist on to keep it from not flopping around and coming loose. No strength issue but a PITA.

Well the price is about the same? Actually heims are probably cheaper. If you run that TRE into a rock and it breaks the joint?????? Why not go the strongest route?
Hiems are Loud, and get sloppy pretty fast when they are in muddy/dusty environments. They are cheaper and for a trail only rig I would say go ahead, but hell only my Trackbar and hydro ram are hiems and I still have to lube them just like my TREs.

Also, on my Toyota I just never had any luck with the TRE. Mainly due to the fact of no jam nut. I ended up having to tack the TRE to the Tie Rod once I put the Hydro Assist on to keep it from not flopping around and coming loose. No strength issue but a PITA.
Why no jamb nut? cant blame the TRE for that, a hiem would have the same problem with no jamb nut.

Hiems are Loud, and get sloppy pretty fast when they are in muddy/dusty environments. They are cheaper and for a trail only rig I would say go ahead, but hell only my Trackbar and hydro ram are hiems and I still have to lube them just like my TREs.

Why no jamb nut? cant blame the TRE for that, a hiem would have the same problem with no jamb nut.
IDK, ask Trail-Gear. Thats how it came. This was before I knew I could make my own stuff:flipoff2:

Yours had jam nuts. You tacked the jam nut to the tre.

On a 1 ton jeep I think you would be fine with tre's. I mean you guys dont really beat on your junk anyway....haha jk. Trail only for sure go with heims. But as always to each his own.

Yall have fun saw a good chance to give quick jab at the jeep guys.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Shoot, Rich had to weld his jam nuts so that the TREs were all bound up to keep the tie rod from flipping. I thought that was weird although the only way he could stop it from flipping at Harlan. Im glad mine didnt do that but it may be because one of my knuckles taper is wallered all out and the TRE has to be hunkered all the way down to keep from being loosey goosey. I am replacing the knuckle now.

Shoot, Rich had to weld his jam nuts so that the TREs were all bound up to keep the tie rod from flipping. I thought that was weird although the only way he could stop it from flipping at Harlan. Im glad mine didnt do that but it may be because one of my knuckles taper is wallered all out and the TRE has to be hunkered all the way down to keep from being loosey goosey. I am replacing the knuckle now.
what do you mean flipping? if the TRE is required to hold itself straight against some sort of load then its not setup properly

Heim is chromolly. Stronger material. And typically have a better thread from what I have seen. Jay's one ton TRE's were really sloppy when he pulled them off of his white cab truck. Who knows the length of time they were on there though.

Again, it's just my opinion. But I see a chromolly heim and a grade 8 bolt as being stronger than a pressed together part built from a cast type material.
Ruff Stuff 3/4-3/4 here to. Ran them on my one tons and now on my mini truck axle. For as much as they cost it's worth grabbing a spare pack and toss in the box. But I highly doubt you will need them.

Ruff Stuff 3/4-3/4 here to. Ran them on my one tons and now on my mini truck axle. For as much as they cost it's worth grabbing a spare pack and toss in the box. But I highly doubt you will need them.
yup, the ruff stuffs are the best I have ran, thats what I run on my trackbar.

If it matters i run TRE's on my burban, when i was building my X-over/High-Steer I put alot of thought into the joints. It came down ease, if you break a TRE you can get one from any parts store or parts yard if in a pinch, heims not so much.

I do agree Heims or stronger and should not fail as much as a TRE may but if you dont have a spare heim you are SOL until the next day at best.

01tj

I wonder if there is 2 differant styles of Moog TREs, a low grade and a better one. When I buy them from Parts Mike they always thread in perfect, but when they come from Advance they are a chore to thread in.

I wonder if there is 2 differant styles of Moog TREs, a low grade and a better one. When I buy them from Parts Mike they always thread in perfect, but when they come from Advance they are a chore to thread in.
all of mine have threaded in normally just like johnny joints or hiems.

01tj

Better luck than I've had. I thought I was going to Harlan on a bent TRE. I finally got it to go in with alot of WD40, and a BIG adjustable wrench.